Clarks Creek Staff News
March 7-11, 2016
This week, Sabrina came over and took some awesome pictures of one of our Book Buddy groups. I could have included far more than I did, but I think you'll see a common theme in the pictures. It is clear that the experiences between our older kids and our younger ones benefit them BOTH! From the smiles that you see on the faces of the young ones and the older mentors, to the engagement with books that provides a shared experience with a story, it is good for everyone! Thanks to all of you for making it work in your schedules to collaborate with teachers in other grade levels to provide these outstanding opportunities for leadership and mentoring for our older kids and to give our young ones one more positive experience with books! If your grade level hasn't had a chance to do a cross-grade-level experience yet this year, I'd encourage you to reach out to another teacher to see if you can make it happen. I'd love to have each of our students have the opportunity to work with another grade level at least once in the year.
it's going to be a great week!
- Make sure grades for the third nine weeks are completed by next Monday at 9:00 a.m.
- Complete the One School, One Book survey, below and send the parent survey to your families. (Details below.)
- If you are wanting to offer a summer camp this year, see the info below.
- Plan some time for your students to make cards for police and firefighters before March 22nd. See below for more info.
ANNOUNCEMENTS AND REMINDERS
- There is NO professional development Tuesday after school and no staff meeting this week.
- The fourth year Spanish lessons that had been planned for Tuesday, March 22nd have been canceled and will not be rescheduled due to scheduling conflicts.
- Our next PRIDE convocation will be Friday, March 18th. This week you will receive sign-up forms for parents, as we did last time. Please send those out as soon as you get them to give families more time to return them. We will run the convocation as we did the last one.
- The penguin decorations that we had for our One School, One Book program will be placed in the workroom this week. If you do a penguin unit, please feel free to take some of the items that you can use!
10-Day Forecast of Upcoming Events
3/7 - 3/11 ISTEP Testing - Make-Ups
3/7 PTO Meeting 6:30pm
3/7 Building Discussion Mtg 4:00pm Conference Rm
3/8 April Field Trip Paperwork Due to MD
3/9 Talent Showcase Try-Outs 4:00 - 5:30 pm
3/10 Talent Showcase Try-Outs 4:00 - 5:30 pm
3/10 School Board Mtg 7:00pm Superintendent's Office
3/11 Fifth Grade Growth and Development Presentations 2:45
3/11 End of Third Grading Period
3/14 to 3/18 IREAD Testing
3/14 Third Quarter Grades Due 9:00am
3/14 School Board Community Coffee 6:00pm Superintendent's Office
3/15 Teacher In-Service Day - No Students
3/16 Third Quarter Report Cards Go Home
3/16 District ELA/Math Collaboration Mtgs 4:00 (will confirm with Mary this this is still happening)
3/18 PRIDE Convo #3
Summer Camp Info
Summer is fast approaching and I know some of you have summer camps, summer leagues and team camps that take place during summer months. Please have any forms for camps turned in to me by Monday, March 21st. Remember that there is a financial information form due from each of the camps once the camp is over. That information will also need to be sent to the central office.
Central will be undergoing renovations this summer and will be unavailable for summer camps.
One School, One Book Surveys
Finally, teachers, please take this quick five-question survey to provide feedback for the committee on your experience with the program.
Thanking our Local Police and Firefighters
The Rotary Club of Plainfield is leading a community effort to honor and thank the PPD and PFD for their excellent services and support to our Plainfield Community. The first stage of this recognition begins with the delivery of lunch and gift bags to all officers, firemen and EMTs on March 30. The gift bags will also include letters written by our students thanking them for the service they offer us on a daily basis.
It would be great if every child from Clarks Creek and LQA could produce something - card, letter, picture, etc.- for these courageous people that protect us each and every day. They will be picked up from school on March 22nd. When complete, please just send them to the office.
Arrivals and Departures
- Jon will be completing his term filling in for Jenny's maternity leave this week. We will welcome back Jenny on Thursday, the 10th! Jon will be here on the tenth, as well, to work with Jenny to help with the transition.
- We will be welcoming Pam S as the sub for the ELL position. She has experience working with students for whom English is a second language. She will start as soon as her background check is returned, but we anticipate it will be before the end of this week.