The Stingray Sentinel
News for the Families of Duval Charter School at Southside
Friday, July 14
Many of you have shared with me the amazing summers you and your children have been experiencing. From vacations, to stay-cations, camps, family visits, and more, it sounds as though you have all been having a wonderful summer!
We are in the countdown for the first day of school that officially starts exactly one month from today!!!
Medicine at the School
- 7/17-7/28: Step up to 3rd Grade Camp at DCSS, 8:30-12:30 (invite only)
- 7/22: Used Uniform Sale - cafe, 9a-12p, cash only, while supplies last
- 7/26: YMCA Last Day of Camp
- 8/1: Kindergarten Family Orientation 5:30pm
- 8/2: New Family Orientation 5:30pm
- 8/3: Returning Family Orientation 1st-3rd 5:30pm
- 8/9: Returning Family Orientation 4th-8th 5:30pm
- 8/11: Open House 11a-1p (open drop-in time)
- 8/14: 1st Day of School!
- 8/28: SaveAround the City Fundraising Begins
- 9/4: Labor Day Holiday (no school)
- 9/8: Family Movie Night on the Field
- 9/22: Skate Station Family Fun Night
- 9/26: Donuts with Dad
- 10/8: Book Fair Week
- 10/10: Open House 4:30-6:30
- 10/14: Fall Festival
Click for an article written for parents on helping with reading over the summer.
Prevent Summer Slide!
Have a K-3rd student? I highly recommend ABC Mouse Learning Academy! I use this with my own child, and it is great to keep reading and math skills fresh through throughout the summer months.
Or, kick it old school by simply making sure your child is reading, reading, reading over the summer! This could be them reading independently, or you reading to them! Every little bit helps.
Looking for more? Many stores have workbooks you can purchase to keep skills sharp - Target, Wal-Mart, Barnes & Noble, Amazon - most stores have these simple workbooks to help keep skills fresh.
When will I get my student's report card?
- All report cards have been mailed. If you have not received your child's report card, please call the school, M-F, 8:00-4:00 (904) 423-5348
How did my 3rd-8th grade student perform on the state assessment?
- All state score reports were mailed with middle school report cards. If you wish to know your 3rd-5th grader's score, you may come to the office M-F, 8:00-4:00 or pick up the reports during orientation.
Who will my child have as a teacher next year? What will be my middle schooler's schedule?
- All teacher assignments and middle school schedules will be available to parents at your orientation. Please see above for orientation dates.
How do I sign my child up for aftercare or any of the after school programs?
- During orientation and open house, you will have a chance to sign up for any of our after school programs offered by outside vendors. You will also be able to register for our in-house before and after care services.
Where can I find the 17-18 school supplies lists?
- The school supplies lists are uploaded to our website. You are highly encouraged to drop off supplies during the orientations so as to limit the materials your child has to bring the first day of school. http://www.southsidecharter.org/school-supplies/
Will I need to purchase a planner for my student?
- Planners are required for 2nd-8th grade students. For Kindergarten and 1st grade students, planners are optional. We will be selling school-logo K-8 planners the nights of orientation, but you can also purchase your own.
I ordered yearbook, but didn't receive it. When can I expect the yearbooks?
- We are deeply sorry that the yearbooks did not arrive by the last day of school as planned. As luck would have it, they arrived the Monday after the last day of school! If you ordered a yearbook, and didn't receive it, you can pick it up any time during the day, Mon-Fri 9a-3p, during the Used Uniform Sale on 7/22, or during orientations or open house. Again, we extend our deepest apologies that these did not arrive in the time we had hoped.
What will I learn or get from the orientations?
- Principal address of any changes or improvements for the 17-18 school year
- Teacher assignments or middle school schedules
- Arrival & dismissal procedures
- School Culture and Discipline expectations
- Software expectations from parents and students
- Pick-up/dismissal tags (updated for 17-18)
- Registration for after school clubs from vendors: Happy Feet, Play Ball, Pro-Martial Arts, Dance Studio, Art Club (all K-5; middle school clubs run in-house - more information provided to students during the first week of school)
- Report Cards and Score Reports if you didn't not receive them
- Drop off school supplies
- Purchase planners (required 2nd-8th)
- Purchase spirit shirts (optional for students to wear on Fridays)
- NOTE: This is not a meet-the-teacher night or a chance to see your polished classrooms; please keep in mind that teachers return the week before school, and while your child's teacher(s) may be assisting the night of orientations, their room may or may not be available.
What is the purpose of the Open House on the Friday before school?
- The open house (11a-1p) is a great time to walk through the classrooms and meet the teacher. This is an optional and open time that is highly recommended for younger students, and families new to DCSS. This is also recommended for 6th grade students who will be switching classes for the first time - students and parents can walk through the schedule to make sure all are comfortable with the flow.