Working to provide students with the voice and learning environment they deserve.
This week's articles/resources (01/15/2016)
Steps to Help Low-Income Students Direct Their Own Learning
How Moxie Can Help Students Succeed
How Teachers Can Be Better: A Call for Cultural Knowledge in the Classroom
HAVEN opens Family Justice Center in Pontiac
This week's SJ happenings across the district/community
- 10th Annual Unity in the Community Celebration will be held on Jan. 18th at 7:00 pm in the Novi High School Auditorium.
- A viewing of Most Likely to Succeed will be held in Novi on Jan. 19th at 6:00 pm. Novi Middle School Auditorium. Tickets are SOLD OUT.
- Tim Wise presented in Birmingham at the Community House on Tuesday. The event was sponsored by the Race Relations and Diversity Task Force http://www.racerelationsdiversity.org/
- Several Novi staff members began a 4-day series on Courageous Conversations about Race at Oakland Schools. This workshop is facilitated by Dr. Jay Marks.
- Saturday Math tutoring sponsored by PAASN will begin again this Saturday at Orchard Hills Media Center. See details below.
- Winners of the Dr. King Oratorical and Essay Contest are:
10th Annual Dr. King Unity in the Community Program
Monday, Jan. 18th, 7pm
24062 Taft Road
Most Likely to Succeed Novi
Tuesday, Jan. 19th, 6pm
Novi Middle School Auditorium
Parents of African American Students in Novi (PAASN)
-Orchard Hills Elementary
National Blue Ribbon Award- Novi Woods Elementary
Principal Ascher and Mayor Bob Gatt
Reviewing Data Notebooks
Students are in charge of their learning
Learning to Synergize! Leader in Me
LACO-Student Engagement Committee SMORE
Included are many great resources and information that connects to Student Engagement. The Learning Achievement Coalition-Oakland Student Engagement Committee meets monthly at Oakland Schools.