Summer Updates from Bear Creek
July 27, 2021
We have a new phone number!
The school system is changing phone systems. Our new phone number is 443-809-7007.
Are you moving or know someone that is moving?
Please call the school or email Ruth in the front office to coordinate the transfer packet.
Registration for New Students (PreK-Grade 5)
If you have a child that will be new to our school next year, please start registration now. Click here for the first step in the registration process. Please share with friends or neighbors that need to enroll.
***** ***** ***** ***** *****
Communication and updates
What is being provided by the school?
- The school has purchased all classroom materials for the children to start the school year including pencils, crayons, markers, highlighters, glue sticks, scissors, folders, composition books, pencil box or pencil case, paper, binder & dividers (grades 4-5).
- Computer, charger, and computer bag
What do families need to supply?
- Book bag
- Lunch box (if packing)
- Water bottle
- Art Smock or Large old t-shirt (Grades K-2)
- Extra pair of clothes to keep in the locker for emergency
Donations we would appreciate:
- Baby wipes
- Resealable plastic bags (quart or gallon size)
- Brown paper lunch bags
- Paper plates
- Packs of 3x3 sticky notes
- Indoor recess games (board games, cards)
- Outdoor recess games (jump ropes, balls, other outdoor games)
What about sanitizer?
- The school has hand sanitizer and alcohol wipes already.
- If you would like your child to have their own individual sanitizer, you can send this in.
The following people will not be at the Creek in the fall. We wish them well!
- Ms. Amanda Ballard - teaching grade 3 at Chapel Hill ES
- Ms. Mary Barranco - teaching PE at Loch Raven Academy
- Ms. Hillary Miklewski - teaching in the Infants & Toddlers Program
- Ms. Christina Rodriguez
- Ms. Liz Burkhard
- Gabrielle Charles-Tucker - PreK Assistant joining us as recent Patapsco grad
- Grace (Berry) Davis - Will be joining us in 2nd grade from Mars Estates ES
- Victoria Ziolkowski - Will be joining us in 3rd grade from Logan ES
- Tabitha Moser - Paraeducator supporting grades K-2.
If you know someone interested in joining our school family, please have them email Mr. Corner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Grade 2 Teacher
- Grade 3 Teacher
- Special Education Inclusion Teacher
- Adult Assistant (support small groups of students or whole class for breaks)
School Schedule for Next Year and the Extra 15 Minutes
What time does school start and end?
- Bear Creek's new bell time is 8:45-3:45.
- Student hours are 9:00-3:45 (6 hours, 45 minutes).
Why was 15 minutes added?
- BCPS has one of the shortest school days in the state.
- The goal is to both provide more instruction and more planning time for teachers.
- Funding has been approved to increase salaries.
How can it be both planning and instruction?
- BCPS has directed elementary schools to dedicate the 15 minutes daily to math instruction.
- We have created a schedule that increases the math instructional time and also has flexible planning blocks for teachers.
What does this mean for families?
- The start time will remain the same.
- Dismissal will be 15 minutes later (3:45).
COVID - Fall Mitigation Updates
As of July 27, the following procedures will be in place for the fall. This may change prior to school starting.
- Masks are optional for children and adults. (We will fully support any child or adult that chooses to wear a mask. This has been fine during summer school.)
- We will promote regular hand washing and sanitizing throughout the day.
- Children and adults will be encouraged to maintain 3 foot distancing when possible. This will not always be possible.
- Lunchtime - we are working on options for distancing as needed.
What about virtual learning?
- Already enrolled? Students enrolled in virtual learning will have the option to participate in school clubs and activities.
- Not enrolled? The deadline to apply for virtual learning has passed. The school system is not accepting additional enrollments. (You can email directly to email@example.com.)
BCPS passwords will NOT be changing over the summer no matter what grade level or school they will be in next year. This will allow students access to the Summer Learning Hike all summer long! Encourage students to remember their passwords so they will be able to log into digital resources and be ready to learn on the first day of school in August.
- If your child will stay at Bear Creek or if your child is transferring to another BCPS school, they will keep their computer during the summer to use for learning activities: Summer Camp, online Summer Learning Hike (First in Math, Raz Plus), Public Library Sneak's Summer Reading Program.
- If your child will be withdrawing from BCPS and enrolling in another county, city, state, or private school, they must turn in their device to the school.
- If your child does not have a Chromebook, contact the school to swap or receive one.
- If you have a child is in middle or high school, contact your child's school for details. It may be different.
Technical issues with computers or accounts should have tickets placed by going here: https://www.bcps.org/tech-support (this is a Microsoft Form).
The form is available to BCPS students and staff with BCPS credentials, so adults at home should work with their child to enter a Technology Support Request form. If you need to submit a ticket for someone else be very clear in the form that this is for another person. Include their username and full name in the ticket. Provide a phone number for the person, not yourself.
1. Click here to join the PTA: PTA Membership
2. Click here to join the Hub: Connect with other families
President - Melissa Moser
Vice President - Tanya Masters
Vice President - Angie O'Laughlin
Treasurer - Chonte Johnson
Secretary - Kim Rahnis
Free Food Available June 28-August 20
Baltimore County Public Schools is participating in the Summer Food Service Program. Meals will be provided to all children without charge. Students participating in the Bear Creek Summer Camps will be offered breakfast and lunch. Students not participating in the Camp will be able to get free meals at locations on this list. The closest to our school is Sandy Plains Elementary.
Acceptance and participation requirements for the program and all activities are the same for all regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. There will be no discrimination during the meal service. The Summer Food Service Program will operate beginning June 28, 2021, through August 20, 2021. Breakfast and lunch meals will be served Monday through Friday across the county.
Does your family need help getting food? Learn more about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) here. You can apply here. This is a service provided by the state and county government. This is not from the school system.
Click this link to complete a form requesting support from BCPS Tech.