Spotswood High School Parent Newsletter October 2022
This Month's Events
October 1 - Homecoming Game (2pm) & Dance (6:30pm)
October 3 - 7 - Week of Respect
October 5 - School Closed (Yom Kippur)
October 8 - SHS Athletics Hall of Fame Night (6pm)
October 13 - PSAT 11 (Parent Letter)
October 20 - "Financial Aid Night - Beyond the FAFSA" Presented by SHS Counseling (6:30pm)
October 24 - 28 - Red Ribbon Week
October 26 & 27 - Parent Conferences (6pm)
November 3 - Underclassmen Photo Retakes
We're on Facebook!
Spotswood High School is on Facebook! Please "Like" and "Follow" our page for updates and school announcements!
It's Spirit Week!
We encourage all of our students to participate in Spirit Week Activities!
This year's theme days as as follows:
Tuesday, September 27 - Athletes & Mathletes
Wednesday, September 28 - Tacky Holiday Attire
Thursday, September 29 - Superheroes & Supervillains
Friday, September 30 - Class Color Day
Friday, September 30 - One Act Play Competition 6:30pm (SHS Cafetorium) - See the flyer below!
Saturday October 1 is the Homecoming Game (2pm) and Dance (6:30pm - 9pm). Tickets for the Homecoming Dance must be purchased ahead of time, and may be purchased before/after school. Cost of tickets is $20 and includes dinner.
Student Pickup & Dropoff
As we enter the 4th week of school, please be reminded of some important protocols regarding student drivers and drop-off/pick-up.
- Parent Drop Off/Pick Up is at the front of the building. Please do not drop off or pick up your child in the back lot as it causes congestion and disrupts the traffic pattern. Please remember that Charger Way is a one way during morning drop off.
- When dropping off your child, please follow the direction of our school safety monitors and pull up as far as possible. This allows us to unload several vehicles at once and reduces traffic backup on Summerhill Road.
- While we understand that our students with driving permits want every opportunity to practice, please reconsider having them drive during parent drop off. Switching places in the drop off line delays the traffic flow for those behind you. Additionally, it is very crowded and rushed and we do not want to see an inexperienced driver sustain an accident.
- All student drivers are reminded to adhere to speed limits in our lots, mind the speed bumps, practice defensive driving, and follow the law regarding the legal number of people allowed in their vehicle when driving.
Failure to file an application, driving recklessly, or continued late arrival to school will result in loss of parking privileges. All student drivers must enter via the Jackson Street or North Avenue entrances. To ease the flow of traffic, student drivers are not permitted to enter via Mott Street.
Senior Class Info!
Yearbook has several important reminders for Senior Class students/parents:
Senior Portraits - Final Make-up Day
The final day for Senior Portraits & Senior Portrait retakes has been rescheduled for this Wednesday, September 28 from 2pm - 8pm in the SHS Media Center.
If you intend for your child to have portraits taken at that time, you must login to Prestige Portraits and make an appointment by 12pm on Monday, September 26. After that time, the system will lock in appointments and no changes can be made. Appointments can be made through this link.
Follow these steps to make your appointment:
1. Try to log in using your previously assigned appointment code.
2. If your appointment code does not work or if you do not have your appointment code, scroll down on the web page and do the following: Step 1 - Locate your school by entering the state (New Jersey in the drop down screen) and the city (Spotswood by typing it in the box) Then click search. When you see Spotswood High School, click on the Select button. Step 2 - Type in your first name and your last name. Then click search and your name will appear.
3. Click on Schedule your appointment. If you get this message: "Your appointment time has passed. If you didn't get your pictures taken, please reschedule," click on reschedule. When you get to the next screen, scroll down and click on "Change Appointment". Select your appointment time and click select.
4. Make note of your appointment time as this is the final date for senior portraits.
Yearbook Ads and Boosters
Senior Ads & Boosters are sold on the Entourage website using this LINK. Senior ad ordering will be open until March 31, 2023. Ads can only be created and paid for online.
Boosters cost $10 and can be ordered online or in school. Booster forms will be available using this link, at our table on Back To School Night and outside room 515 in the yearbook display case. In-person payment is accepted with cash or checks written out to the SHS yearbook.
Senior Quotes, Wills, In 20 Years, Activities, and Baby Pictures for Class of 2023
A Google Form will be sent out to students in August via email. An announcement will also be posted in the Class of 2023 Google Classroom and reminders will be given during morning school announcements. This Form must be completed by September 30th. All entries are reviewed and approved by yearbook staff, editors, and administrators. If entries are not approved, students will be notified by email and will be able to change the entry by a specified due date. It is the responsibility of the student to check their email and submit a new entry in a timely manner. If a new entry is not received by the due date, that entry will not appear in the yearbook. Please note that these new submissions must also be reviewed and approved.
Baby Pictures for Class of 2023
Submission of baby pictures is due by October 31st. Baby Pictures should be scanned at home and emailed to email@example.com. If you do not have a scanner, you can bring your picture to Mrs. Furman or Ms. Bergman. Make sure your name and your homeroom teacher’s name are on the back of the photo. Pictures will be returned by the end of the school year.
Seniors: Order Your Cap & Gown!
Yearbook Info & Ordering
Yearbook Sales have begun!
The current yearbook price is $60 until December 31st. On January 1st the price increases to $75. Take advantage of the discounted price! You can purchase a yearbook online using this LINK or at the yearbook table on Back to School Night. Order forms will be available using this link, or outside room 515 in the yearbook display case. In-person payment is accepted with cash or checks written out to the SHS yearbook. Yearbooks will be distributed during the last week of school.
For more information on the program & how to apply, please see this flyer.
School Counseling Corner!
Please take a moment to read through the October School Counseling Newsletter!
October 20, 2022, SHS School Counseling is hosting our first parent program titled "Beyond the FAFSA - Financial Aid Night." Come hear from experts on school financial aid speak on affording college and the best way to maximize scholarships and financial aid towards a more affordable college experience! See the flyer below for more info!
How to Sign Up for College Visits:
Throughout the Fall, we will be inviting representatives from colleges and institutions for college visits. We encourage students to take advantage of this great opportunity to get up-to-date information and speak to an admissions representative during the school day. Students are able to sign up for 5 college visits.
Here’s how to sign up!
Login to your student Naviance Account
On your Naviance homepage, click “colleges” (in white) at the top of the homepage
Click “College Visits” under the Research Colleges heading
Keep checking your Naviance account - we are continuing to add college visits.
Students will receive a pass in homeroom the day of the visit reminding them of the time and location.
They must go to their period class first, and get permission from their teacher to attend the visit.