April 19-23, 2021
Message from Principal DiPalma
Hello Explorer Parents,
We hope that you had a terrific week. This past week students received their report cards for the 3rd nine weeks, and they continue to work hard every day in class as they set goals for this last nine weeks of school.
Even though summer is still several weeks away, we wanted to let you know about two good programs that your student will have access to during the summer. If you have a student in Kinder-5th grade, they have access to Amplify Reading (K-2 is all summer and 3rd-5th have access until July 1). We have had overwhelming positive response to the Amplify Reading program! Please reach out to your student's teacher if you have questions.
The other program is Dreambox for Math. This is accessible year-round for students and they should be completing 5-8 lessons weekly in order to be on target to make a year's growth in math. Please be sure to have your students access and complete Dreambox lessons each week as part of their core math curriculum.
- April 19-30-TELPAS Online testing for select students in 2nd-5th grade
- May 3-7-Teacher Appreciation Week
- May 11-13-3rd-5th grade STAAR testing
Our spring "dates to remember" will be updated frequently in the Traveler. Be sure to check it out below and contact your student's teacher if you have any questions or concerns.
Thank you for your continued support at home.
Have a wonderful week!
PreK Service Project!
We have chosen our Pre-K volunteer project! For the next two weeks we will be collecting items for the PAWS Shelter of Central Tx. They have many needs, but some are Purina One pet foods, clumping cat litter, durable toys, heartworm and flea prevention, blankets and towels, 6ft. leashes, and treats (they love Natural Balance logs!). You may check their website for a full list of donation ideas. We will be collecting donations through Friday, April 23. Thank you!
Stay Safe and Healthy!
Please continue to monitor your student daily for COVID-19 symptoms and keep your student home if they are sick. Continue to notify Nurse Sylvia if your student receives a positive test result or has contact with a person who has been confirmed to be positive with COVID-19. We are pleased to announced that thanks to the partnership of our district and Hays County Health Department, all our staff members have had the opportunity to receive both doses of the COVID-19 vaccine. This is a huge step in addressing our staff health and safety. Stay safe and healthy Explorers!
Important Events Coming Up....
- April 22-May 28-ABC Countdown of the School Year (Dress up days for each day that correspond to a letter of the alphabet).
- May 3-7-Teacher Appreciation Week
- May 5-Cinco de Mayo
- May 11-13-STAAR for 3rd-5th grades
- May 14-Virtual Learning/Teacher Planning Day
- May 21-Deadline to order a 2020-2021 school yearbook
- May 21-Campus will begin collecting devices from students
- May 24-26-Tobias FUN Days for students
- May 27-PK-4th grade Completion/Awards Ceremonies **More info to come about watching on Zoom link or YouTube channel links
- May 28-Last day of school; Kindergarten and 5th grade Completion/Awards Ceremonies **More info to come about watching on Zoom link or YouTube channel links.
- May 28-Virtual students' school device check in date (more info to come)
- June 7-July 1-Hays CISD Summer School Program
You can also order both yearbooks (2019-2020 and 2020-2021) for $30. That's a savings of $8.
Yearbooks will be delivered in mid-May.
How to Order a Yearbook:
Order online at Balfour with a credit card. Follow these easy steps to order a yearbook online:
1. Go to www.balfour.com
2. Type: Tobias Elementary School (Kyle, Texas)
3. Click: Yearbook
4. Fill in information and pay with your credit card
The deadline to order a yearbook with Balfour is May 21.
Please review our Campus Safety Plan and links to the district COVID dashboard and questions about safety and security at the links below.
NEW Car Arrival/Dismissal Procedures for 2020-2021
2020-2021 Tobias Elementary Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
ARRIVAL/DROP-OFF: 7:00-7:25 am
SCHOOL BEGINS: 7:30 am (Students are tardy after 7:35 am) Announcements begin at 7:30 am.
SCHOOL ENDS: 3:15 pm DISMISSAL/PICK-UP: 3:10-3:15 pm (K-5TH) & Pre-K 3:05 pm
A NOTE ABOUT SAFETY
Parents, we need your cooperation and patience in following these procedures to ensure that all of our students are safe. Any changes to how your child goes home must be made before 1:00 pm by contacting our school office at 512-268-8437.
CAR RIDERS/ PARENT PICK-UPS NOTE: Parking on Lox Lane is prohibited by the City of Kyle.
· Please display your student’s pick-up sign in the dashboard of the vehicle at pick-up time. Additional pick-up signs are available for families with multiple vehicles. Write your child’s first and last name, teacher, and grade in large black bold letters.
· Parent Pick-ups at the front entrance will NOT be allowed due to Safety and Health guidelines. Parents will pick up children in a vehicle in the car rider line.
· Parents who do not have a Car Rider/Parent Pick-up sign will be asked to verify identity. Please have your ID with you at all times.
· All car riders will be dropped off and picked up in the front of the school.
· Remember this is a school zone. Please keep speed under 15 mph at all times. Cell phone use is prohibited in school zones.
· All cars dropping off/picking up will enter at the light at Lox Lane. You must turn right, and loop around the school in order to get into the car rider lane. We DO NOT allow cars to turn left and cross the parking lot. We DO NOT allow cars to enter the line at Arbor Knot Drive. This will be a fair way to keep all cars in one line. Please observe patience in this process.
· Traffic cones will be placed in the car rider area. If your child is a car rider, he/she MUST be picked up in a vehicle. Please pull up to the cone as directed. A teacher will supervise for safety, but children must be able to exit the vehicle independently due to social distancing guidelines for our staff. We ask that children enter and/or exit from the right side of the car to keep them safe. If your safety seats are on the left side, please relocate them to the right side to allow for expeditious drop off/pick up.
· Drop off before 7:00 am is prohibited. Drop off after 7:35 am will require you to call the front office and a staff member will come and escort your student into the building to receive a tardy slip. Afternoon pick up begins at 3:05 pm. Please follow the dismissal times above for arriving to campus.
· In the afternoon, car riders will remain inside and with their grade level. Please display your student pick-up sign from your dashboard. Including your child’s first and last name, teacher, and grade in large black bold letters will help the teachers see it and move the line more quickly. We will load 5 cars at a time and then dismiss them. For student safety, please exit at a slow speed and proceed with caution. Always yield to students and staff at crosswalks.
· We ask that all visitors to our school property wear a mask and exercise safety and social distancing guidelines for the protection of our staff and students.
WALKERS/BIKERS NOTE: Parking on Lox Lane is prohibited by the City of Kyle.
· If your child will be walking (or biking) they will be grouped together with siblings or cohort groups and escorted by a teacher outside of the school building to the crosswalk. Walkers/bikers going to Post Oak will meet in the gym. Walkers/bikers going to Arbor Knot (Brookside Estates/Four Seasons) will meet in a designated location. Staff will walk them across the street ONLY. We strongly encourage parents to pick up students in the car rider lane as much as possible.
· Walkers/bikers from Brookside Estates and Four Seasons should use Arbor Knot Drive. Walkers/bikers from Post Oak should cross FM150 at Lox Lane only with the crossing guard. All walkers should walk along the sidewalks at all times. Bike riders should walk their bicycles across the street and once on school grounds. Walkers/bikers from Arbor Knot in grades 2-5 will use the west side entrance to enter the building. PK-1 students will enter at the front entrance.
· Students from Post Oak will enter through the front entrance only.
· Students may enter through the front doors beginning at 7:00 am and any time thereafter between 7:00-7:30 am. Parents may not enter the building. Please give hugs and goodbyes at the sidewalk away from the front entrance.
If your child attends after school care at Stepping Stone, he/she will be picked up in the bus lane behind the school buses. If your child attends Extend-a-Care, they will be escorted to the cafeteria. Extend-a-Care parents can pick up on the east side of the building following EAC guidelines. Please be sure your child’s teacher knows about your after school childcare arrangements.
Buses unload in the morning in waves beginning at 6:55 am. Students will go straight to classrooms. Breakfast will be in the classroom. Buses begin loading in the afternoon at 3:05 pm and dismiss as soon as they are loaded. Please expect delays when school begins in person as drivers verify their new routes and on rainy days, as it takes more time to load the buses in wet weather. The phone number to Hays CISD Transportation is 512-268-8476. You may call this office to check on the status of a bus or to inquire about location and/or bus schedules.
We are here to help!
Please let us know how we can help your child. If you have concerns, please be sure to set up a meeting with your child's teacher FIRST. If you need continued resolution, set up an appointment to meet with an administrator or the school counselor.
- Alisa DiPalma, Principal
- Amy Russ, Vice-Principal
- Monica Dozier, Counselor
Office Phone: (512) 268-8437
Celebrating 5 years as a 7 Mindsets School!
April Mindset-100% Accountable!
Everything Is Possible
Dreams are precious, and they represent the hopes and expectations we have for our lives. So every dream and positive vision of the future that your children have should be encouraged. Their dreams will inevitably change, but what matters is that they’re dreaming and believing. Constantly push your children to dream bigger, and never be the doubter or pessimist.
Attitude of Gratitude
If you want your child to be happy, teach them to focus their energy and attention on the good things in their life. And when bad things do happen, work with them to understand the good that can come from such experiences.
Live to Give
Get your children involved in service projects early. This helps create self-worth, and allows your child to help others while feeling the great satisfaction of making a difference. Create real life moments of service and giving in your home and celebrate them. Giving is connected to causes you are passionate about and integrated into your daily life.
Everything Is Possible
Attitude of Gratitude
Live to Give
Every experience in your child’s life should be about growth. Constantly focus your attention toward helping them understand the skills they’re building, the knowledge they’re gaining, and the relationships they’re forming along the way. It is crucial that they find validation in who they are becoming, not in what they are accumulating.
We Are Connected
We must instill values and a strong sense of self in our children, but also cultivate curiosity and open-mindedness towards all people, regardless of differences in beliefs.
The greatest gift you can give your child is the confidence to fail, face adversity, and overcome challenges. Celebrate failure by teaching your children to that it may be the most important ingredient to their ultimate success.
We Are Connected
The Time is Now
All your power exists in the moment. You cannot change the past and the future hasn't happened, so the only thing to do is take purposeful action now in order to create the ultimate life of your dreams.
| || |
Stay Connected with PTA!
Last year our PTA had 212 members and received 11 awards. They have a goal of 300 members this year. Parents can help by joining PTA and signing up family members too. Go to www.joinpta.org and find Hays CISD-Tobias Elementary. Membership is $5.50 per person. PTA funds directly benefit our students and staff. Our PTA Board appreciates the support that we give to help our school. Thank you to all parents and family members who have already joined!
PTA Board 2020-2021