5th Grade Superstar Weekly
September 19, 2016 | Week 5 | Trimester 1
Don't forget to order your C.L. Smith gear. Not only do the funds raised help support our PTA and the wonderful programs they support, but it gives students something to wear once we start our Spirit Fridays. If you need another order form, please let me know ASAP.
Also, please don't forget to support our amazing PTA. Memberships are just $10 and do a lot to support many of the programs and fun events for our wonderful school including: 6th grade science camp, field trips, and assemblies.
Each week, I am sending home an "All About Me" newspaper poster. If it is your student's week to be Star of the Week, please work with them to fill it out, so I can post it on our wall.
I can't help but brag about the high quality of responses students are making in their journals. I am also hearing things like, "I'd rather read than do art today." Wow! I can't even begin to describe how satisfied that makes me feel about our reading program.
Coming up next week, we will examine a variety of multiplication strategies. We have been talking a lot about how there are different approaches to each problem, each with the same goal and outcome.
- Researching an invasive species or endangered animal, present in California: students selected their top three choices from a list Miss Ulrich put together, and were put into groups of 4 based on interest
- Collaborating on a Google Slides presentation with the following information: introduction of the invasive species or endangered animal, reasons for the invasion or endangered status, impact the invasive species or endangered status is having on the food web they are a part of
- Creating a model of what the Food Web looked like before the introduction of the invasive species or the animal became endangered
- Creating a Wanted poster for the invasive species or a Missing poster for the endangered animal, both highlighting reasons and details in regards to the food web
We are hoping to display students' work around campus and/or invite all of you to come participate in a gallery walk and forum for their projects. I will keep you posted as these projects progress.
- September 21st: Chipotle Fundraiser
- September 30th: Chili & Pozole Cook-Off