by Lindsey Lovitt
Facts about Sun Safety
- On average, children get 3 times more exposure than adults.
- Concrete, sand, water, and snow reflect 85% to 90% of the sun's UV rays.
- Depletion of Earth's ozone continues to increase your exposure to UV rays.
- You can sunburn even on a cloudy day
- In some parts of the world, melanoma is increasing at rates faster than any other cancer
- More than 1.2 million new cases of skin cancer are diagnosed each year in the U.S.
- Melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, kills one person every hour
- One blistering sunburn can double a child's lifetime risk of developing cancer
- Most kids rack up most of their sun exposure before age 18
- Even people in their twenties can develop skin cancer