Welcome to Mrs. Johnson's Class!
Welcome to Georgia Virtual School - Fall 2013
Important Parent information - how to check your child's grade
The Parent Account gives you information about your child’s grades and progress in their course. If your child’s grade drops below a 75, you will receive an automated phone call. If your child’s grade drops below a 70, you will receive a phone call from me.
*Information for parents who have NEVER created a parent account.
1) Login to our websitewww.gavirtualschool.org
2) Click the “Log In To GAVS” icon
3) Click “Create An Account” from the navigation bar.
4) You will need to know your child’s GTID and date of birth.
5) Please follow the directions on the screen.
6) Be sure you have linked your parent account to your student’s account.
7) For more information simply click HELP at the top of the Log In page or click the following link.http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
If you already have a parent account please do NOTcreate a new one.
1) Please check to see that your parent account is linked to your student’s account.
2) For more information click Help on the Log in page or click the following link.http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
If you are uncertain about whether you have a parent account or not,
1) Log in to GAVS atwww.gavirtualschool.org and at the Log In page type in your username and password.
2) For more information click Help at the top of the Log In page or click the following link.http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
Late work policy
Technical difficulties are not an excuse for assignments to be late. Students must have computer access to complete GAVS work. It is the student’s responsibility to secure backup computer options when technical difficulties arise. Many public libraries offer computers with Internet access. Additionally, GAVS courses can be accessed on a variety of mobile devices so it may be that a mobile device could be used to complete some coursework when there are computer problems.
*If you are a special education student and would like GAVS to consider making accommodations for you, please fax a copy of your IEP or 504 Plan to 770-357-3704. If you do not have a copy, please contact your facilitator.
Please be aware of the pacing guide and due dates for all assignments. Extensions past the last day of school will NOT be granted. All student work is due biweekly on Fridays at midnight. Check course schedules for course assignments and specific due dates. Work turned in after the deadline on the course schedule will be accepted within 1 week with a late penalty assessed. Late penalty begins on Saturday and is deducted at a rate of 10% of the assignment value per school day. Work submitted on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday is considered 1 day late.
Late Work Policy Example: David turns in an assignment at 3:15 pm on Sunday. He scores a 7 out of 15 on the assignment. David will lose 1.5 points on this assignment (15 * .10) and the score recorded in the grade book is 5.5/15. A note should be made in the grade book detailing the late work deduction.
Emailing me - A few tips
Be sure that you have followed the directions for Google Mail, located on the GaVS Homepage. This will ensure that you receive all of my emails and updates.
Be sure that you email me from your GAVS address.
Students & Parents,
Please include your full name (parent & student) AND the course of enrollment, as well as a good contact number. This is small detail, but a very important one! This is the best way to ensure speedy answers and communication. Be as specific with questions/concerns.
AP Statistics A (or your course)
Weekly synchronous sessions
Each week, I will hold a synchronous session. These are not mandatory, but a time for you to log in and ask questions to me in a "live" setting. I will be available on Thursdays from 5:00-6:00pm in my virtual classroom.
I will, from time to time, host a specific session that includes a lesson. The recorded sessions will be posted in the user links section of the course.
You are encouraged to attend all sessions.
Dates: Thurs. Aug. 15, Thurs.-Sept.5
All parents and students are encouraged to attend Open House. You may join by clicking on the link above link. Once you click on the link, log in as a guest.
Dates: Monday, Aug.12, Monday, Sept. 9
All parents are encouraged to attend Open House. You may join by clicking on the link above link. Once you click on the link, log in as a guest.
D2L Help Sessions
D2L Help Sessions
Dates: Tuesday -11AM, Thursday-7PM for each new start date
The specific dates for the D2L Help Sessions are posted in the News Announcements on "My Home". All students are encouraged to attend one D2L Help Session. The help sessions will walk you through your course and help you understand everything about your course.