Fifth Grade Panda News
5th Grade Weekly Classroom Newsletter - May 1st
Rock Eagle Overnight Field Trip
We are very excited about our upcoming trip to Rock Eagle! As we make preparations for this field trip, there are a few items we need to share.
We have 51 students, and 9 chaperones. Each chaperone will be responsible for 5-6 students. Students will be broken into three learning groups for the field trip’s activities. Below I have highlighted some of the important information. Please plan on arriving at school at 6:30 am on Monday, May 11th.
The students won’t wear uniforms to the Rock Eagle. They can dress down since there are dress down days for the last two weeks of the school.
Monday, May 11th
Load Motor Coaches for 7:00 am departure
Arrive Rock Eagle Effigy Mound
Arrive Rock Eagle 4-H Camp, Check Into Cabins
Session #1: Canoeing
Session #2: Lake Ecology
Dinner/Trading Post (No more than $25)
Evening Program: Campfire
Tuesday, May 12th
Move out of Cabins/ Breakfast
Session #3: Pioneer Tools
Return to FSA ES
What to Pack
- 2 pairs of closed – toe, good walking shoes and an extra pair of old shoes/sandals may be needed for water classes. No flip-flops since they fall off easily!
- 1 pair of clean shorts/pants
- 1 clean shirt
- Rain jacket
- Several pairs of socks
- Sleeping bag/bed roll (pillow &blankets are provided; sheets and pillowcases are NOT provided.)
- Comb & brush
- Toilet articles (soap, towels, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc.)
- Plastic bag for dirty clothes
- Insect repellant
- Water bottle (very important!!)
- Pen and Paper
- Shower shoes (showers are available)
PLEASE DO NOT BRING
- Candy, gum, snacks, fireworks, knives, radio, electronic games
- Please do not bring valuables as the Rock Eagle 4-H Center is not responsible for personal property. However, we understand that many of you want your child to have a cell phone in case of an emergency. We are fine with that. We are also ok with cameras. No gaming systems are allowed (even if they have cameras). No IPads, DS, etc. If you need to check in with your child, please call them between 9:30 and 10:00pm. Cell phones will be collected at 10:00pm *Please don't call them during any other times, unless it's a true emergency. Please note that they won't be allowed to call you, unless there's a true emergency.
- Limit luggage to one suitcase, backpack, or duffle bag, plus a sleeping bag or bed roll. Avoid sending unnecessary items.
- Make sure all items are marked with your child’s name.
Only OLD Clothes are Needed
- New clothes may be ruined by heavy outdoor use.
*The two most important items on this list are a water bottle and a raincoat. We are outside for the majority of the time – even when it is hot or raining. Please, be prepared.
Help prepare your students for their Rock Eagle experience with pre and post trip activities (http://www.rockeagle4h.org/ee/programs/vocabulary.html) as well as our journal questions (http://www.rockeagle4h.org/ee/programs/journallist.html)!
Please email Ms. Ozkan at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.
Have a wonderful weekend!!!
Monday: Field Trip to Aurora Movie Theater (Bring $5 if you want to buy some snacks)
Tuesday: Yearbook/Notebook signing / in-class activities
Wednesday: Field Trip to SkyZone (2-hour jump event with socks.
Bring $5 if you want to buy some snacks)
Thursday: Dance from 6-8 pm
Friday: Graduation Ceremony at 9am, off campus
Fifth Grade's Curriculum Corner
READING CENTER - MS. HOLLEY
ALL READING CLASSES:
Ms. Pouncey and I have teamed up to complete one more novel study for the year! We are currently working on "How to Train Your Dragon." We are reading in both classes, as well as completing a comprehension packet and other fun activities! If time permits, we would love to also watch the movie to compare the similarities and differences to the book. Because the movie is PG, we will send permission slips home. Please be on the look-out for those. If your student misplaces any of their comprehension packet, it is on class resources.
I have added assignments on Study Island for students to practice their reading skills. Please make sure your student demonstrates a mastery of 70% or more. There are also individual learning paths that have been created. This is a great tool to use to help prepare your student for the Georgia Milestones test in April.
Class Resource Page
If your student is missing an assignment or needs to print off a lost one, please refer to the class resource page on the school's portal through the school website. http://fultonsunshine.org/
**For the interactive notebook, the file was too big; therefore, it will not open. If your student is missing a specific page, please let me know, and I will send a separate e-mail.
Developmental Reading Assessment
Throughout this semester, we have been using the Development Reading Assessments (DRA) in first period to help establish students' reading levels and to monitor reading progress throughout the year. For more information, you can visit http://www.wpcsd.k12.ny.us/Page/307
May is the LAST Scholastic Reading Club month! May 8 is the last day to send in any Scholastic book orders. Please use either exact cash or a check written out to Scholastic Reading Club.
The website for ordering Scholastic books is: http://store.scholastic.com/
The class code for ordering Scholastic books is: NF78L
SOCIAL STUDIES CENTER - MRS. PIERCE
In Social Studies we have completed learning all of our standards and students have just wrapped up their Georgia Milestones testing. I know they are thrilled to be finished.
Next week we will be watching The Sound of Music in class. It will take all week to watch. This movie shows life in Austria through the eyes of the Von Trapp family during WWII. I grew up watching this film and have a fondness for it. It is rated G so there is nothing in it that is questionable. If you've never seen it, it's a wonderful musical and I highly recommend it.
Students may start bringing in their text books. They are due May 8th.Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
"Any Small Goodness: A Novel of the Barrio" (periods 1 & 4)
"Roll of Thunder..." (periods 2 & 3)
"The Secret Garden" (period 7)
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
Upcoming Calendar Dates
Wed, May 6th - Reading MAP Test
Thu, May 7th - Math MAP Test
Mon, May 11th-Tue, May12th - Rock Eagle Overnight Field Trip
Fri, May 15th - Field Day
Fri, May 22nd - Last Day of School / Graduation Ceremony @9:00am
"Roll of Thunder..." (periods 2 & 3)
"The Secret Garden" (period 7)
FIFTH GRADE TEAM TEACHERS
Kaitlyn Holley- email@example.com
Tugba Karakoyun- firstname.lastname@example.org
Stephanie Pierce- email@example.com
Kristin Pouncey- firstname.lastname@example.org