Raymore Update: 11/26/13
News For & About our Staff Family & PLC
21st Century Learning
Hannah, Abby, and Jacob collaborate to create projects applying 21st Century Learning skills.
Thanksgiving Lunch as a School Family
Raymore families enjoy our annual Thanksgiving dinner.
Evan, Andon, and Dylan enjoy skating during our PTA Skate Night.
Ms. Hofmann Joins the Fun
Ms. Hofmann put on her roller skates and had a great time skating with our families.
Mrs. Polley enjoys spending time with her niece Layla.
Welcome Isaac William Garrett!
We wish Baby Isaac and Mother Hannah Garrett (former RE teacher) well!! Isaac William was born Nov. 15. He was 18 3/4 in. long and weighed 7 lbs. 4 oz. Everyone is doing great!
Ms. Hofmann Joins the Fun
Thoughts & Question from Cerner CEO
- Their company stands to create 15,000 jobs in KC over the next 10 years
- Asked education leaders this question: What are we going to do differently to develop in kids the ability to create, think, innovate, and collaborate with one another using 21st century skills and technology so they are prepared?
Wish You Well!
Adopt-A-Family at our school, C.A.N., & Mayor's Food Drive
- What an amazing response from staff, parents, and our community with adopting nearly 30 families in need from our school! Thank you!
- CAN is in need! Please click here for current items to donate. http://raymoreelementarypta.weebly.com/can-program.html Spread the word! Drop them off in the bin in our front lobby.
- The Mayor's Food Drive this Christmas provides critical non-perishable food items to Fishes and Loaves. Please consider dropping off items in the barrel in the front lobby.
MVP (Most Valuable Piece of information) from my reading
Conferring is an essential and powerful component to facilitate kids' clarity and self-motivated learning. We know this! This language is also powerful in ALL subjects at ALL ages, both in what thinking language we use with kids in 1:1 and whole group situations. When we delve into their thinking, they raise their level of thinking! See below for conferring questions from Ellin Keene and Debbie Miller, shared by our PDN teachers. Thanks for a great presentation, ladies!
7 Keys to Effective Feedback from Grant Wiggins
Reminders & FYIs-some new!
- Dr. Metzger is a developmental optometrist in Overland Park who does vision therapy. A staff member from his office (possibly Dr. Metzger) will be doing an in-service for any of our staff who is interested on Tuesday, Dec. 3rd from 4:00-5:00 here at Raymore Elementary. Some of that time will be reserved for questions/answers. If you plan to attend, feel free to wear jeans + spirit wear on this day! Thank you Trisha Morris for scheduling this learning opportunity!
- Friendly Reminder: It is important to make sure you are on time to greet your students in the morning at the classroom door, for meetings, PD, etc.
- Thank you for scheduling class restroom breaks. If there are emergency situations, it will be important to send a student with a buddy to the restroom. Hopefully with these structures in place it will help reduce the amount of vandalism that is occurring in our restrooms.
- Do not "friend" students or former students on Facebook (reviewed again in August in the training.) That opens you/others up for great risk. Thank you for exercising this to ensure great professionalism with our interactions. If you have questions, don't hesitate to talk with me.
- Please remember to keep your classroom doors locked and use the magnet strip on your door to allow access into the classroom. If you need another magnet strip, please see Jennika.
- Call or text Michelle & Jennika if you're going to be unexpectedly absent (after 4 pm day before). 616-4210 and 550-4434
- Call or text Michelle if you will be in the building on the weekend! Protection One and Raymore PD contact her directly, so it's important she is aware in case a worry arises. 616-4210
- Remember to check the RE Shared Calendar for events! We are still adding, and things change.
- Remember to add your lesson plans to the Google RE Shared Folder each week.
- Remember to add your current class schedule to the Google RE Shared Folder & before you implement changes; post outside your door too.
PLC: Our Mission, Vision, Values
- Focus on Learning
- Build a Collaborative Culture
- Focus on Results
We answer four questions:
- What do we expect our students to learn? (Goals/Expectations)
- How will we know they are learning? (Assessment)
- How will we respond when they don’t learn? (DI Intervention)
- How will we respond if they already know it? (DI Extension)
To fulfill our mission & vision:
- M: Preparing each student for a successful and meaningful life
- V: Turning today's learners into tomorrow's leaders
With these commitments:
- We are committed to consistency & accountability for each student's success.
- We are committed to a system of support for students and adults.
- We are committed to a safe, trusting and collaborative environment.
- We are committed to best practices.
- We are committed to high expectations for learning, behavior and citizenship.
- We are committed to quality communication & positive relationships with all stakeholders
- We are committed to effective communication regarding student progress.
- We are committed to data-driven decision making.
- We are committed to use of appropriate channels for communication.
- We are committed to a guaranteed (consistent) and viable (doable) curriculum.
- We are committed to maintaining fiscal responsibility while improving student achievement