Mrs. Bumatay's Bulletin
For Parents and Students
Volume 3 . Issue 37. Week of May 22, 2023
TRANSLATE THIS BULLETIN
- Select "Translate Newsletter" under the "Accessibility" box (top right) and choose your language.
- Seleccione "Translate Newsletter" en "Accessibility" (cuadro en la parte superior derecha) y elija su idioma.
Dear Cavalier Families,
Last week was a super busy celebratory week with our families and students! Please see all the pictures below! As we near the end of the school year, please pay attention to the different schedules happening these next two weeks.
This week's announcements:
- On Monday, 8th graders will be attending a meeting during Advisory to review end of the year information.
- On Tuesday and Wednesday, we will be on Bell Schedule E-Spring End of Course Exams. 8th graders will be taking their End of Course exams. All students will report to Periods 1 - 3 - 5 on Tuesday for two hour blocks and on Wednesday, students will report to Periods 2 - 4 - 6.
- This will be the last week of after school tutoring.
- There is no Fun Friday this Friday, please use Advisory time to read, to catch up, to do your best to submit assignments so that you can earn the best grade in all of your classes. Please monitor Jupitergrades for the latest information on academic progress. Reach out to teachers for any questions concerning assignments. There are also activities listed below if you would like to explore resources for Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month.
Parents, your student may have been pre-assigned to summer school due to earning a failing grade and/or an NCP grade during the first semester classes and/or the current 12-week progress report card from the second semester. On May 04, 2023, the assistant principal and counselors met with your 7th-grade student. Your student was given a summer school application with all the information below.Location: Chula Vista Middle School (in-person)
Dates: June 5-23, 2023
Time: 8:00 am to 1:54 pm. The summer school application was due on May 11; if you have not submitted the completed form, please return it to the main office with Ms. Miranda, AP Secretary, as soon as possible.
- 7th grade Awards and 8th grade awards are happening on Thursday, May 25th at different times. 7th grade awards at 10:30 am and 8th grade awards at 1:45 pm. Students who will be getting an award will receive a letter on Monday.
- A reminder that the 8th grade promotion ceremony will be held at Chula Vista High School's Football stadium on Wednesday, May 31st at 5:30 pm. Promoting students may bring up to six guests maximum with them. All guests must arrive at the same time with the student for entry.
Please feel free to contact myself or one of the Assistant Principals with any questions.
Mr. Guillermo.Flores@sweetwaterschools.org is our 8th grade Assistant Principal
Dr. Georgina.Meza@sweetwaterschools.org is our 7th grade Assistant Principal
In your service,
Mrs. Lora Bumatay
End of Year Events
Congratulations to our students!
No School Monday, May 29, 2023
Explore these resources as we end the month!
Queen Salote III of Tonga
- Take a look at this synopsis on Queen Sālote III of Tonga, the Pacific's oldest monarchy, and watch this accompanying video of her speaking.
- Read this PBS article about Polynesian navigators and how the double canoe was critical to survival.
- Check out this list from Academia for resources and lesson plans for secondary school teachers about Hawaiʻi, including academic papers on ecology, burial laws, and traditional beliefs.
- Let TheCoconetTV explain how the Pacific islands ended up in three separate regional groups (hint: colonization).
- Watch this moving speech given by Yolanda Joab-Mori, in a One Young World video, urging more effort around climate change and its impacts on Micronesia.
- Use this TED-Ed video to help understand the colonization of Hawaii and how the Missionary Party overthrew Queen Lili'uokalani.
Library Collection Schedule
Everyone will turn in their World Culture / US History textbooks and other library books. Only 8th graders will turn in iPads, 7th graders will keep the iPads over the summer.
Cost of lost textbooks
Charge not shown, iPad cover $18.00
How to check what books are owed
1. Head to cvm.goalexandria.com/
2. Click on Login in the upper left screen
3. Login is your student ID# and password is 8 digit birthdate.
4. Click on the Green "Status" button or your picture in the upper left hand corner
1. Click on Items Out - those are library books currently checked out to you
2. Click on Textbooks Out - those are textbooks currently checked out to you
3. Click on Charges - those are any charges you currently have and the amount
For eligible 8th graders!
Sign up for CyberCamp for summer! June 5 - 9 at our school!
Looking for something to read? Check it out!
2023 Youth Media Award Winners
Family Appreciation Night!
Thank you to all our families for attending!
A great evening of discussion and how to show gratitude to others! Each family received this book!
Congratulations to Ms. Wahamaki and our SCPA dancers for a wonderful Dance Concert!
Finale "All For One!"
Having fun at Chella! #2023Chella
Thank you to Castle Park Middle's Garage Band for performing!
Sweetwater High's Dance Team also Performed!
Special Thanks to Mrs. Bishop, Coach Marco and all the CLUB TC coaches who work so hard to provide safe and fun activities for our students! You Rock!
Daily Dress up Days
Show your Spirit!
Report unsafe activities on the P3 app on your iPad
Supporting our Wellbeing!
Chula Vista Middle School Contact Information
Location: 415 5th Avenue, Chula Vista, CA, USA