Summer U Newsletter
Reader's Theater: Session 3, Week 1
June 14, 2013
This week in Reader's Theater, students have already stretched their minds and challenged themselves through reading and acting! They have started each day with an opener activity, and some sort of drama activity. They have put on multiple mini-plays using scripts. Students have practiced their fluency and accuracy effortlessly through the use of scripts. They have practiced reading with expression simply by acting out their lines! Students have been very creative with creating props and actions for their lines. Confidence has been built through reading out loud and doing fun acting exercises.
Students have completed the following plays in Reader's Theater:
- Four Little Pigs
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Wiggly Worm
- The Real Story of the Three Little Pigs
- Peanut Butter, Jelly
- Cinderella Outgrows the Glass Slipper (final performance!)
Games We Have Played in Reader's Theater:
- The Martha Game (a class favorite!)
- What Are You Doing?
- Look Up, Dude!
- Mr. Tap
- A-Z Improv Lines
Tongue Twisters/Acting Warm-Ups:
- Sally sells seashells on the seashore
- Flash message. Flash message.
- Toy boat. Toy boat. Toy boat.
- A proper copper coffee pot.
- Mommala Poppala, Mommala Poppala
- The lips, the teeth, the tip of the tongue, the tip of the tongue, the teeth, the lips.
- Unique New York, Unique New York, Unique New York.
- Yoda met a Yeti on the Plains of Serengeti.
- Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
- Today is our last day of Reader's Theater! Bravo to students!
- If you have not yet turned in the permission form for publishing student work, please have students bring it in at your earliest convenience!
- If your child is continuing with other summer school classes, please report any Summer School absences by calling the South Middle School front office at 847-398-4250