Summit Virtual Academy
Weekly Update - Week of September 06, 2022
2022/2023 School Year, Here We Come!
Good afternoon, Blackhawks! It's hard to believe it, but the start of the 2022/2023 school year is upon us. By this time, you may have begun getting welcome emails from EdOptions and your virtual instructors. While your courses may be available to you ahead of time, you are not expected to complete any work until the official start of the school year. So look them over if you'd like as they become available, but also be sure to avoid this last long holiday weekend with family and friends before we get to work on Tuesday. Be sure to read below for some important updates as we head into the start of another successful school year together!
What To Expect As We Get Started This Week
- Expect an email to your student from Edmentum/EdOptions Academy that will guide them to accessing their dashboard and course content
- Expect your student to have to complete an orientation module one time before beginning actual course work. This is to familiarize them with the online platform
- Expect communication from a Brandon counselor/mentor checking in with your student to make sure they are off to a good start
- Expect your student to work for roughly 45-60 minutes per day, per course
Should you miss any of these pieces, please reach out to the office at 248-627-1820.
What's New - Again
Elementary - Important New Information Added
This year will look quite different than last year. You will have a Brandon School District staff member as a mentor, but instructors will be Edmentum instructors and curriculum, all of which are Michigan certified. Four days a week of live instruction and support are offered, with asynchronous learning as well. Additional information and details will be shared and discussed at the Summit Virtual Academy Back to School Night tonight, September 01 at 5:30pm. This will be held virtually. The link can be found below.
If your student was virtual last year, he/she should already have a school issued device. What is important to note is last year's early elementary students may not have worked from a chromebook. This year, your student will need either a chromebook or a desk/laptop computer. A tablet will not work well with this online program. If you are in need of a device, please contact the office.
In addition to your student's graded content, your student will also have access to Exact Path. This is a learning recovery program that is supplemental to their enrolled core subjects. This is completely optional, but is a great tool to have. Each student's learning path is tailored to his/her needs and to helping students grow and excel in their learning.
Here is a link in the meantime: https://e.edmentum.com/eoa-getting-started-students-parents-caregivers/
SecondaryWhile the method of instruction for secondary students will be largely unchanged, what will be different is your daily Zoom sessions and mentor help. We have three counselors that will be working with our secondary students. Your counselor will work to setup the appropriate schedule of classes for you. In addition, a counselor will be assigned as a student's mentor and will communicate weekly to help ensure students are progressing in their classes and getting any necessary support. Counselors will be assigned to students based on the following:
- Mrs. Hickey - students in grades 6-8
- Mr. Belluomo - students in grades 9-12 with the last name A-L
- Mrs. Dietiker - students in grades 9-12 with the last name M-Z
What's the Same - Still :)
Just like last year, Edmentum/EdOptions will provide the content and instructors. All content is aligned with Michigan standards, and all instructors are Michigan certified teachers. Also similar to last year, a Brandon School District employee (counselor) will work closely with each student and their mentor. Additionally, all students will be provided with a school issued device (chromebook) from which to work. If you are in need to arranging a device pick up, please contact the office at 248-627-1820 or email the tech department at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a device used last year, there is no need to make arrangements.
Upcoming Summit Virtual Academy Events
- Secondary students and parents - Thursday, September 01, 5:00pm - 5:30pm https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85132451117?pwd=RGNSbFJ0T01LYUQra3l4anoyd2UxQT09
- Elementary students and parents - Thursday, September 01, 5:30pm - 6:00pm https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85122626304
Upcoming Brandon School District Events
- BHS Varsity football game vs Lake Fenton, Friday, September 09, 7:00pm
- Homecoming Parade - Friday, September 30, 5:30pm, downtown Ortonville
- BHS Homecoming Football game vs Goodrich - Friday, September 30, 7:00pm
- BHS Homecoming Dance - Saturday, October 01, BHS Cafeteria
- Picture Retake Day - October 04, all day (High School students)
Link for elementary overview: https://e.edmentum.com/eoa-getting-started-students-parents-caregivers/
Instructional Model overview for online learning (last page has links embedded to parent orientation presentations):