Parent Newsletter for Caroline Middle School-Dec. 2019
Volume 1 - Issue 5
We are officially at the close of the second quarter. This means that we are basically halfway through the school year! Be on the lookout as report cards will be sent home on January 10th. To add, we have a lot to be proud about with respect to the academic performance of our scholars! Recent benchmark assessment data reveals that we have demonstrated increases in pass rates since the first benchmark in Reading. Second quarter benchmark assessment results show growth in 6th grade Reading scores and double digit increases in 7th grade and 8th grade Reading.
As we embark upon the winter break, we want to ensure that student skills remain sharp during this time. There are numerous ways to do this. Below are just a few examples:
- Encourage reading for pleasure/fun during this time.
- Invite your child into the kitchen to assist with cooking. The half-tablespoon and quarter-cup measurements are great practice with numbers.
- Maintain reasonable bedtimes and ease back into the regular bedtime schedule a few days before school starts up again.
- Let kids help with online shopping for relatives. This helps children work on their computer and research skills.
- Have a family game night with board and card games that reinforce skills such as counting, reading, and drawing.
In closing, from the CMS staff, we wish you all happy holidays and we WILL continue to work to fulfill the promise of positively impacting EVERY STUDENT, EVERYDAY...EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE!
Darin A. Thompson
Everyday Counts-Student Attendance Support
As we have been mentioning this school year, maintaining consistent attendance at school is a predictor of school success. If a student misses more than 10% of the school year, that student is considered chronically absent. Missing more than 9 days a school year or 1 day a month places students at a serious detriment and has proven to negatively impact levels of student achievement. Chronic absenteeism also factors into school accreditation ratings. Currently, we have a chronic absenteeism rate of 18.5%. That number is slightly lower than last school year. However, we want to sustain at this point so we need your help. Below are some important tips to help:
- Make sure your students are well rested and maintain a regular and reasonable bedtime schedule.
- Turn off all electronics including TVs, phones and gaming devices at bedtime.
- Check with our school nurse or office staff if you are not sure about when to keep your child at home due to illness.
- Avoid scheduling vacations or doctor’s appointments when school is in session.
- Talk to teachers and counselors for advice if your student feels anxious about going to school. Additional parent resources are mentioned below.
- Develop back up plans for getting to school if something comes up. Call on a family member, neighbor, or another parent to take your student to school.
Please let us know how we can best support you and your student so that they can show up for school on time every day!
Caroline County Public Schools offers supports for families and teachers through the Parent Teacher Resource Center. The center provides the following resources:
- Workshops for families and educators
- Newsletters and E-newsletters to inform families of current issues in education and resources available locally
- Referral services to help families locate specific local, state, and national agencies
- A lending library of books, newsletters, videos, DVDs, and educational training materials
- Information on a wide variety of topics including, Gifted Education, Adult Education, Infant Development, Caregiving for Seniors & much more
- A confidential listening ear
For more information please visit the link below. Brochures are also available in our main office.
Students of the Month
I want to acknowledge the following students for being recognized as student of the month for their grade level. The administrative team will be personally delivering your yard sign and a coupon for a free pizza. Please be advised that grade level administrators will be making contact to confirm delivery.
Mark Your Calendar
Thursday, December 19, 2019
- Faculty/Student Basketball Game (During the school day)
- NO AFTERNOON ACTIVITY BUSES
Friday, December 20, 2019
- NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
December 23-January 3
- WINTER BREAK
Monday, January 6, 2020
- Students Return From Winter Break
Wednesday, January 8, 2020
- Quarterly Student Voice Group Meeting (11:00 am)
Thursday, January 9, 2020
- Boy's Basketball vs Locust Grove (4:30 pm)
Friday, January 10, 2020
- Boy's Basketball vs St. Christophers (4:30 pm)
- Report Cards Distributed
Sports, Activities, and Weekly Buzz
Make sure you are checking out the "Weekly Buzz" for information about sports, clubs, and activities. Announcements are also made daily at school in regards to upcoming meeting dates for the various clubs and activities. Feel free to visit our athletics website and/or contact the main office for more information.
Connect With The Principal
Wednesday, January 8, 2020 @ 9:00 a.m.
Wednesday, January 22, 2020 @ 6:00 p.m.
Parent Teacher Association
The PTA at CMS is growing and still looking for involvement to support school-wide efforts. Please contact the main office for more details.
Thursday, January 9, 2020 6:00 p.m. @CMS
Thursday, January 13, 2020 6:00 p.m. @CMS
President – Heather Lewis
Vice-President – Britnea St. John
Treasurer - Leissa Richardson
Secretary – Tanya Salas