SPS Board Highlights
Sept. 14, 2020
SHS Softball is 17-1 and is nationally ranked as 6th in the latest NFCA Fall High School Coaches Poll.
Cross Country Middle School and High School teams did well at the OBU meet last Saturday with several runners finishing in the top 15.
Senior Night is at this Friday’s home game against Carl Albert. Senior recognitions begin at 6:15. Homecoming will be Oct. 2, and the Hall of Fame game has been rescheduled for Oct. 15.
Annual Drop Out and College Remediation Report
Dr. Wilkerson reminded board members that ACT data are unavailable from 2020 due to the pandemic cancelling the junior class's planned ACT test last spring. She was able to report data from the ACT Aspire test which every junior in 2019-2020 completed three times. She also explained that SHS plans to continue using the Aspire test with the 2020-2021 sophomores and juniors.
Dr. Wilkerson also showed the board how SHS students are exploring college and career options through ICAP initiatives such as internships and job shadowing.
Hiring and Enrollment by the Numbers
Both Wilkerson and Wilson also showed the number of students enrolled at SPS this year and how students are attending school. Most students are attending school the traditional way in person, but a number of elementary students also attend school virtually through the Seesaw application. A few middle school and high school students also attend school virtually or blended between in-person and virtual attendance.
Total enrollment for the district is now 3,305 students.
Other Board Business
- approved all consent docket items
- approved several Board Policy revisions
- continued the contract with Stephen L. Smith Corp. as financial consultants to the district
- approved the Estimate of Needs for 2020-2021 Fiscal Year
- approved the purchase of a 14-passenger school bus with funds from the district's Pottawatomie County sales tax account
- gave permission for a Pleasant Grove student to participate in SMS football and another student to participate in SMS wrestling
- approved revisions to the 2020-2021 Secondary Student Handbook/Staff Handbook
- approved all personnel items as presented