Rock Creek News
Keeping up with the Redhawks! August 14, 2022 Edition
Dear Rock Creek Families,
What a wonderful first week of school! We love having our students back on campus!
This week brings us a schoolwide focus on expecations at school. Rock Creek is a PBIS (Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports) School and we believe that when everyone is on the same page and knows what behaviors are expected of them, the more successful we all are, the safer our school is, and the easier it is to access learning, and when we're acknowledged for doing the right thing, it makes school even more enjoyable! This week our Red Hawks are kicking off the year with a Red Hawk rally where they will meet the Rock Creek staff and learn about assembly expectations, we are going to have an Expectations Rodeo, where every class will rotate through the different areas of campus to learn behavior expectations for different areas of campus, and a recess rodeo, where grades 1-6 will learn the rules of the playground games.
With an increased districtwide focus on safety this year, you will find some new expectations as parents on campus that we will begin enforcing this week. Please keep in mind that this is happening districtwide and these changes are made with the intent to keep our school safe:
-You will see signage throughout campus noting that only RUSD staff and students are allowed past certain points. Please follow these signs as we work to make our campus more secure.
- Visitors and students are not allowed on campus before 7:40. At 7:40, your 2nd-6th grade student may walk themselves to class.
- Please do not enter campus until 2:20 unless you've checked in at the office. At 2:20, you may walk to meet your child. If you pick up a kindergartener at 2:10, we ask that you wait with your kindergartener at the front of the school (our trees out front provide some nice shade!) until the bell rings before walking to pick up your other student.
- If you are on campus during school hours, you must check in at the office to sign in and get a visitor's badge.
We understand that this is a change in our drop-off and pick-up procedures and we appreciate your kindness, grace, and cooperation as we work to make our campus more safe and secure for our students and staff.
We have so many great things happening on campus this week and great events for you to connect with staff and other families. Check out our week at a glance below for a quick glance at all of the great things taking place at Rock Creek this week!
I look forward to seeing you at Thursday's Back to School Night!
Week at a Glance
- New drop-off and pick-up procedures begin
Tuesday, August 16th
- PTC meeting at 6:30 pm in the library
Wednesday, August 17th
Thursday, August 18th
- Back to School Night: 4th-6th 5:30-6:15 and TK-3rd 6:30-7:15.
- PTC Spiritwear sale at Back to School Night
Friday, August 19th
- Food Truck Friday 5-9 at Sonora Park (details below)
- Check out our PTC meeting scheduled for Tuesday, August 16th in the library at 6:30. Stay tuned for our schoolwide spirit event, Penny Wars, from August 22nd-26.
- Sign up on our new Rock Creek Elementary app or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. A parent meeting is scheduled for September 7th at 1:30 in the large conference room.
- If you would like to become a science docent, please fill out the form linked here.
- Specific information on volunteering for your child's teacher to come at Back to School Night.
- If you are interested in helping out at lunch, please see Courtney Sequenzia, our Front Office Clerk and Volunteer Coordinator for more information. email@example.com.
As we work hard to keep our students and staff healthy and safe on campus, please follow the following drop-off procedures:
- Students are welcome on campus between 7:40 and 7:50 and will head straight to their classrooms in the morning. When you hear the music playing, you know that the campus is open!
- Families of preschool through 1st-grade families may walk their child to his/her classroom in the morning for the first two weeks of school. Please exit campus after dropping your student off.
- Please practice kindness and patience with each other in the school drop-off lines.
- The kindergarten drop-off is for drop-off only. If you would like to walk your TK/Kindergartener to class, please park along the street or in the parking lot.
- Bus lanes are for buses only.
- When using the drop-off lanes, please remain in your car and pull forward.
- Please follow all signs and staff directions as we work to keep our campus safe.
RUSD's Health and Safety Information for the 2022-2023 School Year
- Our district sent out our health and safety guidance as it relates to COVID-19 last week. It is linked here for you if you missed it and is available on our district's website.
- If you are on campus during school hours, it is required that you sign in at the office. This helps us keep our kids, staff, and you safe!
- Our school conducts monthly safety drills. If we conduct a lockdown drill, you will receive a note from the office ahead of time so that families may have conversations with their children to help ease nerves that we know these cause for some of our students.
Important Dates to Remember
August 16th: PTC meeting
August 18th: Back to School Night
August 22-26: Penny Wars
August 25th: DELAC (District English Learners Advisory Committee) Meeting 3:15-5:00 at RUSD District Office
September 5th: No school in observance of Labor Day
September 7th: RUSD School Board Meeting 6:30
September 13th: PTC Meeting 6:30
September 15th: Picture Day
September 21st: RUSD School Board Meeting 6:30
September 23rd: Picture Makeup Day
October 10-14: Rock Creek Book Fair
October 11th: PTC Meeting 6:30
October 19th: RUSD School Board Meeting
October 24-28 Red Ribbon Week
October 27: DELAC Meeting
October 31: No School (Staff Development Day)
November 4: Last day of Trimester 1
November 7-10: 6th-Grade Sly Park Trip
November 10: Minimum Day
November 11: No school in observance of Veteran's Day
November 14-18: Minimum Days for Parent/Teacher Conferences
November 21-25: No School for Thanksgiving Week
December 22: Minimum Day
December 23-January 6: No school for Winter Break