Onid Junior High School
The SolarBotanic Tree
- SolarBotanic has developed an artificial tree that develops electricity from sunlight, heat, and wind.
- These trees produce little to no waste, are cost efficient, and develop enough electricity that just one tree can power a four-bedroom home.
- Multiple of these are be "planted" in the same area, therefore allowing the school to power itself.
- The Onid JHS has timers on sprinklers and other water systems help to make sure plants and other landscape get the proper amount of water and isn't wasteful.
- Storm-water will also help to water a lot of the plants.
- The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design [L.E.E.D.] has set guidelines on the different levels that schools can be to be "green," or environmentally friendly.
- With our new, innovative designs, we've been able to easily gain these certifications.
The L.E.E.D certification levels:
- Certified 40 - 49 Points
- Silver 50 - 59 Points
- Gold 60 - 79 Points
- Platinum 80-110 Points
Onid JHS is Green!
- Onid JHS has solar panels so as far as energy goes it meets the credits for energy and renewable energy.
- The JHS sprinklers and waste water system restricts a lot of unnecessary water usage and manages water usage to conserve and still water plants and give proper amount of water to the school at the same time.
- Since the JHS has solar panels and supply's it with its own energy it is not gaining power from a coal plant or other type of power plants that cause pollution.
- The Onid JHS takes great advantage of storm water by using it to water plants and trees instead of using their water which would be wasting very valuable resources.
The Tree of the Future. (n.d.) Retrieved December 9, 2015, from http://solarbotanic.com/how-it-works/
LEED Certification - LEED Certification Requirements. (n.d.). Retrieved January 20, 2016, from http://www.concretethinker.com/solutions/LEED-Certification.aspx