Week of 10/18/2021
.... It's a GREAT place to be!
Birmingham Covington Schools (BCS)
Office Hours: 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
10/18/21 - Week's Events
*denotes more information provided below
- BCS Pride Meeting 4:15-5:00 p.m.
- The Civility Project Zoom Session for BCS Parents & Staff, 7-8 PM (On Zoom- REGISTRATION FOR CIVILITY PROJECT ZOOM LINK HERE)
- Tuesday, October 26- Picture Retake Day
All School News
Greetings, BCS Families!
It has been another great week here at BCS! A few quick updates as you begin the weekend:
- Way to go, BCS & BPS- Some exciting news for BCS and our district K-8 schools. Check out the linked article in the Patch: 12 Birmingham Schools Among Best For Grades K-8: U.S. News | Birmingham, MI Patch
- NWEA & M-STEP Test Scores - Reports will be sent home with our students today. Please review the electronic parent letters attached to the WAG e-mail with helpful links to help you better understand the scores. Remember last year was a unique year given the pandemic, and it is important to place these scores in the appropriate context when reviewing them this weekend.
- The Civility Project- Thanks to the many responses to the survey sent earlier this week for BCS parents. The most popular response was to host this event virtually on Wednesday, 10/20, from 7-8 PM. If you would like more information, please visit their website - https://greatlakescivilityproject.com/. You must pre-register for The Civility Project using the following link: REGISTRATION FOR CIVILITY PROJECT ZOOM LINK HERE. We look forward to hosting many of our BCS parents/guardians!
Yours in BCS solidarity,
Dr. Hakim & Mr. Hill
Boo Candy Grams!
The 8th Grade Graduation Committee is sponsoring a Boo Candy Gram fundraiser!! Your challenge is to not only reach out to your best buddies but to brighten someone else’s day with a Boo!
Boo Candy Grams are $1 each (cash only please)!
Please complete and return the attached form and monies to the office by Monday, 10/25. Table sales will also be offered Thursday 10/21 and Wednesday 10/22 before and after school!
Boo Candy Grams will be distributed to students on Friday, 10/29!
Thank you for supporting the 8th Grade Graduation!!
On Thursdays during 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8 lunch-recesses, we will be hosting Cobra Crew, an opportunity for peer engagement through games and conversation for any interested students.
A limited number of passes will be available each Thursday for those who would like to join. The purpose of Cobra Crew is to promote kindness, empathy and community at BCS.
If you are interested in opting your child out of this opportunity, please email your child’s counselor.
We are pleased to announce our first (of the year) and most prized Proud Dads Night! So set the alarm and mark your calendar to be at the Dow Monday, October 25th @ 7 PM. At this meeting, we'll succinctly share the opportunities to get involved in our school and improve kids' lives. We've got all kinds of offerings planned this school year, some big, some small, but all of them, with your support, will put a smile on a kid's face! Moreover, following the meeting, we can enjoy a great Monday Night Football game and a toast to a beautiful new school year!
Side note, dads, this is also an excellent opportunity to make some connections/friends with fathers across our district.
See you, folks, soon.
David Wilner, Nirav Doshi & Jason Hill
Proud BCS Dads
Latino Family Network in Partnership with BPS
MISSION:To connect Hispanic/Latino families within the BPS District, foster educational excellence and equity, improve Spanish language fluency, and celebrate family traditions and values.
- Build strong relationship with BPS as a diversity partner and provide a voice for Hispanic/Latino families.
- Work with school staff and families to welcome differing cultures and perspectives.
- Encourage parent engagement and participation in school events.
See PDF Flier with Contact Information Below!
The BPS Latino Family Network (LAFAN) would like to invite you to our first meeting on October 18th, from 7:00-8:00pm, at the BPS Administration Building. Our mission is to connect Hispanic/Latino families within the district, to provide educational excellence and equity to Hispanic/Latino students and to celebrate family traditions and values.
Please see the flyer attached for more information about LAFAN. We look forward to seeing you on October 18th.
BCS PTA Art Reflections Contest
Calling all BCS artists!! It’s time for the annual PTA Reflections Art Contest! This year’s theme is “I Will Change the World by…”
Reflections is an annual, nationwide student art competition sponsored by the National PTA. Students should reflect on the theme and create original art in the categories of dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography and visual arts, and special artist. Enter to win recognition, prizes, and scholarships! Deadline for BCS submissions is Thursday, November 11, 2021.
Submission guidelines, rules, and entry forms are available on the BCS PTA Reflections Homepage.
Watch this video and learn more about the BCS PTA Reflections Art Contest!
Trunk or Treat - Sponsored by Groves Student Congress
Online Directory is now available for all those that paid the PTA Membership Dues in Membership Toolkit. (Cost $25)
Spiritwear Bin: We are collecting any / all BCS Spiritwear that no longer fits your child. Please place all donated items to the bin in the front lobby (bin sign says “BCS Spiritwear Drive”).
We collected $363 from Kroger Rewards, Amazon Smile Rewards and BoxTops last year alone. This is an easy way for more dollars to go to the PTA. New this year for BoxTops: download the app and scan your grocery receipts. Questions, please contact Donna Kramer at email@example.com
Media Center Notes
- FAQs: When does your class come down for checkout? What can you do in the library? What does the library curriculum cover? Get the basics on the BCS Library 2021-22 offerings here.
- Birthday Book Club: Celebrate your child’s birthday in a special way and help our library collection continue to grow! If you choose to participate in the program, your child will be invited to select a new book from our Birthday Book Club cart on or near your child’s birthday (summer birthdays will celebrated during the month of their half birthday). Inside the book we will place a bookplate with your child’s name, photo, and birthday. If you are interested in joining, complete the Birthday Book Club registration form and return it along with the $15 (per child) donation to the BCS Library. Make checks payable to BCS.
MiSelf in Books
The Birmingham Public Schools Library Media Department is pleased to invite our community on a journey into the world of story. We hope to share with our community some of the diverse content in our libraries and how it impacts the way we walk in this world. We are inviting you to listen to a read-aloud and participate in a discussion of a selection of books chosen from the MISelf in Books list. This event occurs weekly on Thursdays 7-7:30pm, excepting school scheduled holidays.
For more information and to register for this event, visit https://www.smore.com/skn6a.
Announcements from Chartwells
BCS is going cashless:
With Send Money to School, families can add money to their children's meal accounts from home or work. You can eliminate the risk of lost checks, lost cash or playground thievery. Conveniently deposit money, check balances, see what your children are eating, and more. SendMoneyToSchool.com even allows you to transfer funds, set parental controls such as spending limits, pay fees, pay fines, and buy school merchandise quickly and easily. With your help, we can make the BCS lunch line a smooth, fast and sanitary process.
If students would like to continue to make a cash payments, the student can find Mr. Allen in the cafeteria during breakfast.
Friends of Different Learners: Meeting Announcement
Attention all students! Want to be part of a fun club dedicated to making B C S a safe space for everyone?
Join BCS Pride! We meet every Tuesday 4:15-5pm in Room 600B. Email Mr. Joe for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
BCS Choice Hour
- Choice Hour runs daily from 3:20-4:10pm
- Busses come AFTER Choice Hour
Choice Hour Schedules
Schedules are available online listed by Student ID number HERE.
Updated class lists will also be given to the teachers weekly while we process choice hour changes. The master schedule is also posted on the Choice Hour Board in the main hall. Our teachers do a great job of acclimating our students to Choice Hour the first few weeks!
Choice Hour Changes
The change period for Quarter I is over. Changes will be published on the public schedule no later than Monday September 13.
Reporting a Choice Hour Absence
Email BCSChoicehour@birmingham.k12.mi.us or leave a message at 248.203.4625
Questions? Contact Courtney Bassett at BCSChoicehour@birmingham.k12.mi.us
If the BCS Clinic needs to house medication for your student, please drop it off in the Front Office. Be sure you have an updated Permission to Administer form and Action Plan. These forms need to have a physician's signature. Contact Joni Say Gan at JSaygan@birmingham.k12.mi.us with any questions.
Early Dismissal Procedures
Please review these procedures to help keep your students and school safe.
- Buzz the front door
- Enter building and sign out student
- Show ID
- Student will be called to office
- Will be released after the office staff calls the teacher
- Student will be sent to the office
- Student will be released to the parent
STUDENT IS NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE CLASS UNTIL PARENT IS HERE. STUDENTS MUST BE SIGNED OUT IN THE OFFICE. STUDENTS CANNOT EXIT THROUGH ANY OTHER DOOR.
No Early Dismissal after 3:00 p.m
Other Helpful Resource Links...
We are here to help support your child academically, socially and emotionally during this time. If you would like to request a counseling appointment for your son or daughter, just email his or her counselor using the contact information below. Your counselor will then respond in order to set up an appointment.
Please keep us updated if we can be of any help at this time.
Your BCS Counselors,
Karen Kohler - Last Names A-K (email@example.com) and
Jenny Wagner - Last Names L-Z (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If students are having trouble logging in to Schoology or if they found that upon entering, there were no classes, please contact the Help Desk at HelpDesk@birmingham.k12.mi.us or at (248) 203-3123.
Schoology Parent Introduction:
You should have received more information about Schoology, our learning management system. Please review the attached district resources for additional Schoology information.
Note: Your child's teachers will provide class-specific guidance to students/families as they begin to integrate Schoology's features in their courses.
Parent & Student Schoology Reference Page
Check out the Student Schoology Reference page! This document will provide students and parents with instructions on setting up their Schoology account, navigating Schoology, and performing everyday tasks in courses. This reference sheet may provide helpful resources for you to use to help your students become proficient with Schoology.