Notes from the UIC
Things Observed So Far This Spring:
* Lots of Obstructions at bases by defensive players not involved with any type of play - umpires are not watching/seeing/signalling this when it occurs.
* Bat "Donuts" are ILLEGAL and should not be allowed by teams to be used.
* When moving to get into positions for steal plays, be sure to stay parallel with the BASE LINE to keep the best angle rather than moving toward the base and cutting your angle down.
* Several umpires are incorrectly verbalizing "Foul Ball" and/or "Foul Tip" - Be sure to KNOW the difference between them! In addition, some are calling "Foul Ball" before the ball is technically "foul." Poor Habit!
* A foul ball that goes directly back to the backstop, or way over the fence with no chance of even a play, the umpire does NOT have to make a big production out of this - No reason to shout "foul ball" & there's likely no reason to give the "dead ball" signal. If it's so obvious that the blind man down the street knows it's foul - don't worry about doing anything with it!
* Base umpires, always square your body to the plate rather than to a base, a runner, or the pitcher.
* Must do a much better with score cards! Some are missing team names, some have the wrong team winning, it is the responsibility of the "CREW" to see they are done correctly.
* Recommendation for those with New Balance Plate Shoes - cut the straps on the back of the shoe off so your pants hang correctly.
* Uniforms MUST Have Logos! College Jackets should not be worn in place of ASA/USA Softball Jackets. Get the correct jacket on!