Fort Sumter, South Carolina
April 12 - April 13, 1861
- This was the first battle in the Civil War.
- It was U.S. Major Robert Anderson(Union) versus P.G.T. Beauregard(Confederacy)
- South Carolina seceded from the Union causing complications with the Union and the New Confederacy. The North saw the fort as property of the United States Government while the civilians of South Carolina saw the fort as property of the new Confederacy.
- The Confederate soldiers start the battle.
- After this battle 7 other southern states seceded from the Union leaving the Confederacy with only 11 states. In South after the battle the gentleman who fired the cannons were seen as heroes and the new government was confident for war and to plan for war.
- Confederate Soldiers: 80 vs. Union Soldiers: 500
- This battle was a Confederacy victory.