Colrain Central School News
Where we learn by serving...
Finding us online
April 14, 2023
A Note From Mrs. Looman
- Reminder that school is closed next week for April vacation. I hope you all have a safe, healthy, and happy break.
- Our Preschool and Kindergarten registration days have been rescheduled for Friday, April 28, 2023. Preschool registration will begin at 9:00 and Kindergarten registration will begin at 10:00. Current PK and K students will not have school that day. Please help us spread the word.
- Love our town? Looking for a way to help spruce it up? It’s time for Spruce it Up Colrain again this year! Join your friends and neighbors in town-wide cleanup opportunities on April 22 and 23, Earth Day Weekend. Work off your post winter blues by ripping out the invasive plants at the Colrain Central School. There will be music and dance at the Library. For more information, contact Jonathan Lagreze at 413-559-7755.
- Just a reminder that if students bring a snack to school, it should be a healthy snack. We've had a few kids bring candy in over the last week or two. Thanks for your help in giving our students the tools to do their best learning.
- Below you will find the revised calendar for June. Please note that the last day of school for students is Thursday, June 22nd. The other notable changes are that Wednesday, June 14th is a 1:50 dismissal and Wednesday and Thursday, June 21st and 22nd are 12:30 dismissals.
2023 MCAS testing schedule
May 11: Math for 5th grade
May 12: Math for 5th grade
May 15: Science for 5th grade
May 15: Math for 6th grade
May 16: Science for 5th grade
May 16: Math for 6th grade
May 18: Math for grades 3 & 4
May 19: Math for grades 3 & 4
If your child is absent on a day they are supposed to be testing, they will be tested when they return.
If you have any questions about the testing schedule or about MCAS, please feel free to reach out to me.
Specialist's Scoop: Barbara Page, Teacher of Multilingual Learners
April Is National Bilingual/Multilingual Learner Advocacy Month! What better time to share district updates and clarify some of the many terms and acronyms in the field of language learning?
Multilingual Learners (MLs) are all students who are learning additional languages, including those who are fluent in English and studying World Languages. This umbrella term helps emphasize the additive, beneficial nature of learning additional languages. The infographic below from the Office of English Language Acquisition describes some of the many benefits of language learning.
English Learners (ELs) and English Language Learners (ELLs) are terms used by DESE and WIDA, the testing consortium that produces the annual ACCESS test of English language proficiency. These describe students who are learning English as an additional language. By definition, these students are emergent multilinguals who bring many cultural and linguistic assets to our schools and communities
In an exciting new development for all our language learners, Mohawk Trail Regional School District is joining schools across the Commonwealth and the nation to offer the possibility of attaining the State Seal of Biliteracy to graduating seniors next year. This award recognizes high school graduates who have studied and demonstrated high levels of functional and academic proficiency in English and another World Language. These multilingual assets are valuable to employers as well as institutions of higher learning and the US military.
Young people seem more eager than ever to learn new languages, including American Sign Language (ASL) which will be offered at Mohawk Trail next year along with Spanish and French. Language learning broadens horizons and opens a window to new ideas and adventures. It's never too late to start! Bon voyage!
spruce it up Colrain 2023
Use the link to get to our Super Duper Litter Picker Upper Map App
Directions to sign up:
1. Click on this link-
In the -Special Notes- please describe where you intend to pick up. You only get to pick one spot on the map per registration so specify here the extent of your claim. Your contact information is not public but can be seen by the coordinator.
Zoom in on the map to the area you want to take on and click on it. If you miss clicking again will relocate your dot.
Click on "Report It" and you should be all set.
Roadside litter will be accepted at the Colrain Transfer Station at no charge for the month of April during normal operating hours.
Practice the signup and put your mark down on the Colrain Central School for the Colrain Firefighters Pancake Breakfast,
April 22nd !EarthDay!
Folks are reporting that things are looking much better roadside than this time last year. You make a Difference!
Contact Us at SpruceUpColrain@gmail.com
4/17-4/21: No school for April break
4/28: 9:00 PK registration, 10:00 K registration: no school for current PK/K students
April early release dates:
1:50 dismissals: 4/5, 4/12, 4/26
May early release dates:
1:50 dismissals: 5/3, 5/10, 5/17, 5/24