Stevenson Family Newsletter
Happy New Year, Stevenson Families!
Welcome back! I am thrilled to be starting 2022 with our Stevenson community. I hope your holidays were happy, healthy, and relaxing.
We are excited to welcome back all students on January 3, 2022. Our doors will open at 7:45 AM and school starts at 8:30 AM. Please remind your student to bring their Chromebooks fully charged for a full day of learning.
As I know you are all aware, COVID cases in Harris county have spiked over the holidays. Please review updates from HISD and Stevenson below for more information regarding safety precautions to continue to protect your students and our Stevenson community.
Christyn McCloskey, Principal
Updates from HoustonISD:
January Coffee with the Principal
Due updated HISD COVID guidance, all meetings are returning to virtual.
Links to all meetings can be found here: https://www.houstonisd.org/domain/52404
Houston Food Bank School Market
- January 12th - 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- January 26th - 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
The event will be held in the Bus Turnaround in the back of the school. Be sure to bring your ID and some shopping bags to carry all the food!
No School January 17 & 18
- January 17th - MLK Jr. Day
- January 18th - Teacher Prep Day
Spring Semester Begins January 19th
Parents: We Need Your Help with Social Media!
Please help us monitor the situation by monitoring your student's Instagram activity. Most of these accounts ask others to submit photos/posts by direct messaging the owner of the account. You can also check your own student's accounts to ensure they do not have one of these hurtful spam accounts (see images/directions below).
We appreciate your support in keeping our school and the social media space safe for all of our school community!
Report Cards and Progress Reports
Don't forget you can also check your student's grades online any time! Here is the link: https://hisdconnect.houstonisd.org/public/
Attendance - It's Important!
- Accountability – we want all 7 distinctions AND to be an A! Without high attendance, we won't make our goal earning all 7 distinctions from TEA.
- Funding - The amount of funding allotted to educate our children is dependent on our attendance rate each year. Help us get the most amount of resources for your students by attending school every day!
- Promotion Standards - students must have no more than 10% of unexcused absences to be promoted to the next grade level.
- Most Importantly – student learning! Students can't learn and grow if they aren't in the classroom learning from their teachers and peers.
After School Activities
- Football - fall
- Volleyball - fall
- Cross-Country - fall
- Cheerleading - year-round
- Basketball - in-season
- Soccer - spring
- Baseball/Softball - spring
- Track - spring
After-school clubs have started! Here is a list of clubs we have so far:
- Art Club
- Anime Club
- Robotics Club
- Name That Book Club
- UIL Academics Club
- Sparklers Dance Team
- Monday: Math
- Tuesday: ELAR
- Wednesday: Math & Science
- Thursday: ELAR & SS
If your student is a close contact to a CONFIRMED POSITIVE case of COVID-19:
- If the student is vaccinated, they will not need to quarantine and can stay in class. Please monitor student for symptoms over the following week.
- If the student is not vaccinated, the student will be removed from class and will wait for a parent or guardian to pick them up.
- Student will be enrolled in Temporary Online Learning. Student will receive a confirmation email with their schedule and instructions to log in.
- Specific quarantine instructions will be communicated to parents. Information will include the length of quarantine, earliest date student can test for COVID, and earliest date of return to school.
- UPDATE: Students who are close contacts to presumed positive individuals will no longer need to quarantine.
- UPDATE: All students who are in class with a confirmed positive individual will be notified - however, the name of the confirmed positive individual will not be released. Please remember that your student only needs to quarantine if they are a close contact to a confirmed positive individual - the school will notify you if this is the case.
- Presumed Positive: individual is displaying one or more COVID symptoms, but has not tested positive
- Confirmed Positive: individual has tested positive for COVID
- Close Contact: student was within 6 feet of presumed or confirmed positive individual for 15 minutes or longer within a 24 hour period.
Students are required to adhere to the Stevenson dress code. Please refer to our school dress code policy on page 20 - 21 in the Student & Parent Handbook.
Stevenson Grading Policy
Meet the Stevenson Administrative Team!
7th Grade Administrator
6th Grade Administrator
8th Grade Administrator
Office of School Culture Administratorampiani@houstonisd.org