Walnut Creek School District
Governing Board Meeting Summary for 3rd October 2022
Governing Board Members
- Aimee Moss, Board President - present
- Zetta Reicker, Board Clerk - present
- Heidi Hernandez-Gatty, Trustee - present
- Nithin Iyengar, Trustee - present
- Sarah Talach, Trustee - present
- Marie Morgan, Superintendent - present
The Board approved the following consent items:
- Governing Board Meeting Minutes - 19th September 2022
- Williams Uniform Complaint Quarterly Report for the quarter ending September 2022
- Personnel Consent Items
The Board heard the following discussion & information items:
- Kelly Eagan, Assistant Director of Human Resources, provided an update on the District's plan to attract and retain substitute teachers. The Governing Board took action at the 8/8/22 meeting to approve increasing the daily substitute rate up to, and not to exceed, $285 per day. Ms. Eagan reported that WCSD decided upon $240 as daily substitute compensation for all teaching vacancies, which is competitive with surrounding districts.
The Board voted on the following recommended action items:
- Marie Morgan, Superintendent, brought forth for approval the annual Certification of Administrators to Evaluate Teachers. Approved, 5-0
- Ruben Fernandez, Director of Innovation and Operations, recommended that the Board appoint the following new Citizen's Bond Oversight Committee Members: Aziza Crowder, Enny Gibson, Susan Hildreth, Milan Ninkovic, and Nikolas Weinberg-Lynn. These members replace those whose terms expired June 30. Approved, 5-0
- As October is anti-bullying month, Superintendent Morgan requested approval of Resolution 22-23-04 Against Bullying, Harassment, Discrimination and Violence. Approved, 5-0
- Superintendent Morgan requested approval of Resolution 22-23-05 Red Ribbon Week. Red Ribbon Week takes place each year from 23rd - 31st October. Approved, 5-0
REPORTS FROM GOVERNING BOARD MEMBERS
Governing Board members reported the following activities since our last Board meeting:
- Ms. Talach attended the WCEF meeting on 9/22 and participated in the LTCC Legislative Team Meeting on 9/28.
- Ms. Hernandez-Gatty attended the CCCOE Teacher of the Year Celebration on 9/22 in support of WCSD finalist, Paula Rathert.
- Mr. Iyengar participated in the Equity Committee meeting on 9/15 and attended Parkmead's Back-to-School Night on 8/30.
- Ms. Reicker attended the TA meeting at WCI on 9/21.
- Ms. Moss met with Superintendent Morgan for agenda planning on 9/28, participated in the LTCC Legislative Team Meeting on 9/28, and met with WaLaMOrinda Board Presidents.
3-7th Parent/Teacher Conferences, Elementary & Tice Creek
6th MINIMUM DAY, Elementary & Tice Creek
6th WCSD Board Candidate Forum, Tice Creek MPR, 7pm
7th MINIMUM DAY, All Schools
7th End 1st Quarter, Walnut Creek Intermediate
12th AUHSD Board Candidate Forum, Del Valle Education Center, Rm 401, 7pm
17th Governing Board Meeting, DO, 6pm
27th WCEF Meeting, 7pm
31st NO SCHOOL - Staff Development Day
4th MINIMUM DAY, Elementary & Tice Creek
4th End 1st Trimester, Elementary & Tice Creek
8th Election Day
11th NO SCHOOL - Veteran's Day
14th Governing Board Meeting, DO, 6pm
17th WCEF Meeting, 7pm
21-25th NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving Break
12th Governing Board Meeting, DO, 6pm
15th WCEF Meeting, 7pm
16th End 2nd Quarter, Walnut Creek Intermediate
16th MINIMUM DAY, All Schools
19-31st NO SCHOOL - Winter Break
1-2nd NO SCHOOL - Winter Break