The Sunday Message
Announcements, Resources, Celebrations 7/31/17
The 2017-18 Pleasant Union Panther Staff
News of Note
Welcome to our new Track 4 families and welcome back to all the returning families. We look forward to working with your children in what will be an exciting 2017-18 school year. Many new events, academic themes and PTA initiatives are coming this year.
- Lots of start of the year information for Track 4 will coming home this week in the Tuesday folders. Please take time to read over all the information especially items dealing with transportation (carpool and bus). Student name tags will be provided and attached in to our students' backpacks on the first day of school. These are to remain on the backpack throughout the school year so that bus drivers know that they are to ride the bus. Please read the linked transportation memo above for details. Remember that if you have a kindergartner or 1st grader that bus drivers will not drop your child off unless a parent/grandparent/adult family member is at the stop to receive them.
- Carpool number tags for new students will be available in the main hallway on the first day of school or in the office after the tardy bell rings. If you need an extra for other family members picking up your child please check with our front office staff.
- The Wake County Public Schools use a communication system called School Messenger to provide information to all families. It gives parents various options for how they wish to receive communication from their child's school. Please review the information on the WCPSS School Communication site to add the options (email, text) you use wish to use. Each week I will send a voicemail summary of the digital "Sunday Message" at 6:00 pm. An email and/or text will also be sent with a link to the full message is also sent at 6:00.
Are you new to the school?
- Remember to sign in this week in the main hallway to get your name tag for moving within the school. After Monday, you will need to sign in through the office. Thank you in advance for helping our staff know who is in the building. Keeping our students safe is a number one priority.
PAW Power:Positive Behavior System:
Pleasant Union uses a positive behavior system called PAW POWER. Be on the lookout for a student guide to this. Staff will be talking with all students about the following themes and don’t be surprised if you see our Panther Mascot walking around the school catching students doing a great job.
- Be Responsible
- Be Respectful,
- Be the BEST you can be
Kindergarten Parent Open House:
- A Parent Open House for Kindergarten Track 4 will be held this Thursday night, August 3 from 6:00-7:30. Grades 1-5, Track 4 will hold their Parent Open House on Thursday, August 24 from 6:00-8:00. Two session will be held that evening so that if you have two teachers to visit. Child Care for students K-5 will be offered through the after school program staff. Please signup using the following Google Form by Wednesday, August 2 at 12:00 so our staff can plan accordingly.
- Now is the time to sign up or renew your volunteer registration or to enroll for the first time. It is a requirement for volunteering in the class, with small groups of children and to join us on field trips to be enrolled and background checked. We will have laptops stationed in the main hallway during the first week of school to expedite your renewal and signing up. Renew and sign up early to avoid a long approval process after “traditional calendar” schools return.
After School Programs:
- Be on the lookout for registration information for our supplementary after school programs (golf, tennis, KidZArt, Stem for Kids, and Lego Club). These programs are additional to our daily Before and After School Program. We also hope to continue a Chess Club but need a sponsors/facilitators to guide and oversee the club. Please contact Mr. Biles (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested.
School Meals/Lunch Accounts:
- This week is a good time for Track 4 families to set up your online lunch account. Go to www.MySchoolBucks.com to set up your child’s account. For more information about WCPSS meals go to School Meals.
If you have any questions staff will be posted throughout the front lobby area to help you.
Pleasant Union PTA Welcomes Families to the 2017-18 School Year
The PTA welcomes all families to join the PTA. Family memberships are only $15 or individuals can join for $8. Please join us for our monthly meetings and consider joining one of our many committees. Below are a list of key PTA contacts that can help direct you to committee chairs and other important PTA information.
2017-2018 Board Members
- President: Heather Wilson email@example.com
- Vice President: Rachael Paden firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President: Valerie DeBruin email@example.com
- Secretary: Jennifer Finnell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Disbursement Treasurer: Dawn Goodwin email@example.com
- Deposit Treasurer: Jennifer Finnell firstname.lastname@example.org
Meetings are open to all families and occur on the 3rd Tuesday of every month.
Stem for Kids After School Program Coming to PUE
Additional Security Added to Pleasant Union
Those who have visited Pleasant Union in the last two weeks have noticed that we now have a buzz in system for visitors. Please push the button under the sign to be let in. You will hear the locking bar retract and then pull the door at the far right, as you face the school to come in. The system has been working well, overall. However, there have been a couple glitches so please bring your cell phone and call the office at 919-870-4230 if you need assistance getting in.
Mark Your Calendars
Monday, July 31:
- Track 4 Kindergarten Staggered Entry begins.
- Track 4 Kindergarten Rosters posted at 4:00 pm
- Open House, Kindergarten Tracks 4, 6-7:30 pm
- Grades 1-5, Tracks 1 & 2, BYOD Meetings
* Session 2 for Grades 3-5 from 6:45-7:15
Thursday, August 24:
- 6-8:00: Open House, 1st-5th Grades, Track 4
Thursday, August 31:
- Grades 1-5, Tracks 3 & 4, BYOD Meetings
* Session 2 for Grades 3-5 from 7:00-7:45