Week November 16, 2020
In this issue you will find:
- NEW!!! Family Meeting
- NEW!!! Elective Information
- NEW!!! Mondays Meal Service
- NEW!!! Multnomah County Community Resources
- Updated Check Out Library Books
- Immunization Information School Year 2020-2021
- HIGHLIGHT! Student Belongings: Last Year Student Lockers
- Check Out Books from CMS Library
- This Month In Community Class
- Yearboook 2020-2021
- EBT Pandemic Benefits
- Destiny Discovery: Library Resource
- CMS Library Corner
- Elective Schedules
- CMS Regular School Bell Schedule
- CMS Wednesday School Bell Schedule
- Purpose: Wednesday Applied Learning
- Attendance Information
- Counseling Corner
- CMS Student Email Form: Activated Thursday October 8, 2020
- Chromebook Device Tech Support for Families
- YEARBOOKS are here!
- TRIO Message
- NWFS Message
- Index of Previous CMS Newsletters
NEW!!! CMS Family Meeting: November
Johanna Castillo is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: CMS Family Meetings
Wednesday: Nov 18, 2020 10:30 AM (English)
Wednesday: Nov 18, 2020 6:00 PM (English)
Thursday: Nov 19, 2020 6:00 PM (Spanish)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 913 6907 0059
One tap mobile
+12133388477,,91369070059# US (Los Angeles)
+12063379723,,91369070059# US (Seattle)
Dial by your location
+1 213 338 8477 US (Los Angeles)
+1 206 337 9723 US (Seattle)
Meeting ID: 913 6907 0059
Find your local number: https://centennial-k12-or-us.zoom.us/u/abNWenYMWb
NEW!!! Elective Information
NEW!!! Mondays Meal Service
Meals are served on Mondays from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm at the following locations.
Centennial High School
Patrick Lynch Elem
Powell Butte Elem
Routes are listed on the District website.
Immunization Still Applies
Immunization Exclusion Day will be February 17, 2021 for this school year.
We have attached the immunization requirements below. Families can also go to the Immunizations page on the MESD website https://www.multnomahesd.org/shs-immunization.html for any information regarding immunizations.
If you need immunization support or information please do not hesitate to call our school office.
* В любом возрасте и в любом классе количество обязательных доз зависит от возраста ребенка и времени, прошедшего с момента последней прививки. Можно получить освобождение от прививки. Пожалуйста, свяжитесь со школой ребенка, учреждением по уходу за детьми или лечащим врачом для получения дополнительной информации.
* Las dosis requeridas varían dependiendo de la edad de su niño y cuándo fue vacunado la última vez. También tenemos excepciones disponibles. Por favor verifique con su escuela o proveedor de salud para estos detalles.
* Tất cả mọi lứa tuổi và các lớp, số lượng liều chích được quy định tùy theo tuổi của đứa trẻ và thời gian đã được chích ngừa cách đây bao lâu. Các trường hợp miễn dịch cũng được sử dụng. Xin kiểm tra với trường học, nhà giữ trẻ hoặc nơi cung cấp dịch vụ y tế của con em quý vị để biết chi tiết.
2019-2020 Student Belongings (from student lockers)
We still have a significant amount of student belongings at school. Please come and retrieve these as soon as you can.
- Call our front office about wanting to pick up student belongings. Please ONLY call the day you are planning to pick these up.
- Provide student full name and the team they were in last year (if possible not required).
- Provide Locker # form last year, if possible.
- Office staff will explain pick up procedures via phone.
These items will be donated to local non-profit organizations if they are not retrieved by November 15, 2020.
If you have any questions please call us at our school's main number: (503)762-3206
EBT Pandemic Benefits
Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS) was approved to provide Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) benefits to students in September. Similar to the spring, benefits are provided to children who receive free or reduced price school meals through the National School Lunch Program that are not attending school in-person.
The amount of September P-EBT benefits is based on the school districts start date. All that are eligible will receive at least $100 and some will receive more benefits based on when school began. Find out more about the benefits you’ll receive based on your school district:
The initial $100 benefits were distributed on September 28th. If a child qualifies for any additional benefits beyond $100, this will be provided through a second deposit. Eligible students who receive Oregon SNAP benefits, or were mailed an Oregon EBT card with P-EBT benefits in the past, received these September P-EBT benefits on their existing Oregon EBT card. If you lost your EBT card, you can request a new card by calling a local ODHS office or calling the EBT replacement line 1-855-328-6715. New Oregon EBT cards will be mailed in October.
Call the P-EBT hotline for help addressing any issues: 503-945-6481
For more information:
Please review this with your students.
First identify what category your student falls in.
a) Do they have PE every day 1st/4th period for 7th grade or 3rd/6th period for 8th grade?
b) Do they have PE A day and Music Careers B day?
c) Do they have Choir/Band/Support Class on A day and PE on B day?
Then review the schedule they should follow for elective live meetings.
I understand there has been some confusion with ELECTIVE Live Meetings and please know that students will not and are not being held responsible for any missed live meetings. This is NEW to all of us and missed classes will happen.
Important: Students should be active in google classroom, turn in assignments, fill out activity logs an/or attendance logs and communicate with their teacher.
Here is a two page ELECTIVE OVERVIEW
CMS 2020-2021 Regular Bell Schedule
CMS Wednesdays 2020-2021 Bell Schedule & Attendance
There is attendance being taken on Wednesdays for all CLASSES 1-6 (no community).
Students must show up on google classroom and submit an assignment for every class in order to be counted present. Some teams and teachers have students log into an activity log or attendance log. Please ensure to ask your student what they are doing on Wednesday for EVERY CLASS.
Wednesday Late Start
Applied Learning: Wednesdays
-Specialized Small Group Instruction
-Finishing up a project from class.
-Extension of the work they do Monday/Tuesday or Thursday/Friday
-Student Discussion with peers or with teacher
-Silent Sustained Reading
Whatever they do engage in doing, please ensure that your child enters google classroom and communicates with teacher via an attendance form, submitting an assignment, or communication. This is applicable for every class periods 1-6.
IMPORTANT Attendance Information
If you do not want to receive attendance calls at the end of the day as indicated below your, please have your student follow the attendance procedure mentioned above under Wednesday Bell Schedule, Attendance and Late Start by 4pm for EVERY CLASS, periods 1-6.
Beginning, Monday, September 28th, you will receive a call informing you that your student has an unexcused absence if they did not participate in class activities or have interaction with their teacher, an educational assistant or paraprofessional during the school day. Interaction can include:
- Participating in a video class, communication from the student to the teacher via chat, text message, a communication app or email;
- A phone call between the teacher, educational assistants or paraprofessionals and the student, or, for younger students, with the parent or guardian of the student; or
- Posting completed coursework on a given day.
Please ensure that your student follows the information above on WEDNESDAY Schedule, attendance and late start.
Throughout all of the unusual events unfolding this year, students, parents/guardians, and CMS staff are resilient as ever. In our Community Classes, a class dedicated to bringing a sense of belonging to the school and our student’s environments, we are able to provide a more individualized type of social-emotional learning. October’s theme for the class is Kindness, Acceptance, and Empathy. Throughout each week, your student will be taught strategies to analyze their roles and values to help establish a healthy self-image while promoting the identities of peers simultaneously. Many topics including self-care, friendships, and inclusion will be discussed this month.
Centennial Middle School Email Permission Form
Email for students will be turned on sometimes this week and if you would like your student to have this essential communication tool, please fill out this form and submit. Submit the FORM which is the second link in this section, not the first. The first link provides information about student emails.
THESE HAVE ALREADY BEEN ACTIVATED FOR STUDENTS. If your student does not have these activated this form MUST be completed. Click on the URL two links below.
_______________Hello CMS Families,
Please consider filling out this form for your student, if you have not done so already. This will allow students to access their school email and it will facilitate communication between teachers and students.
Please fill out permission form below (IMPORTANT):
English (Agree/Disagree From):
Spanish (De acuerdo/en desacuerdo de Documento) : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeAjrQ70E73ydLBeUi3DciBmqp4gTOyYs30UdSqJDRIiB5Fpw/viewform?usp=sf_link
Russian (Согласен / Не согласен с): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdotVglZJkbolB1_FEek7xFBmCNi87dniAsY-NL0_zacBP50g/viewform?usp=sf_link
We will start distributing yearbooks starting Wednesday September 30, 2020 @ CMS.
Please do not come before Wednesday to pick up your yearbook.
Northwest Family Services
Dear Centennial Middle School community,
Northwest Family Services is excited to announce a new series of free online workshops for parents and teens available this school year. These workshops are for any parent and their teenage child/ren in Multnomah County, and are offered monthly in both English and Spanish. Workshop topics include teen alcohol and cannabis use, the new vaping epidemic, and empowering families through increased communication. Dates, times, and registration information can be found on the attached fliers and at nwfs.org/familyworkshops.html.
We hope you will help us connect to interested families by sharing this information.
Youth Alcohol and Drug Counselor
This 2020-2021 academic year, we are offering four Multifamily Workshops for parents and teens each month about vaping, cannabis, alcohol and family empowerment, every Tuesday night from 6:00pm-8:00pm via Microsoft teams. These workshops are available in both English and Spanish. I’m attaching the Multifamily workshops calendar and also proving the links to the online registration form.
Description of Multifamily Workshops:
- Alcohol/ Cannabis and Youth - health effects of alcohol and cannabis, trends, laws, and advertisement tactics that can affect young people
- Vaping and your Health — Nicotine and Cannabis facts, trends, and interventions
- Family Empowerment — Teen brain development, connecting, and exploring values and goals together as a family
Families can register online or by calling me
English link https://www.nwfs.org/familyworkshops.html
Spanish link https://www.nwfs.org/talleresfamilia.html
NEW Multifamily Workshops for Parents and Teens:
Cannabis and Youth 11/10/2020 6-8pm Online
Alcohol and Youth 11/17/2020 6-8pm
Family Empowerment 11/24/2020 6-8pm
Vaping and your Health 12/1/2020 6-8pm Online
Cannabis and Youth 12/8/2020 6-8pm
Alcohol and Youth 12/15/2020 6-8pm
Family Empowerment 12/22/2020 6-8pm