Join us to chat about outreach and writing center work!
Join our bi-weekly chat!
This week, we are discussing outreach in the writing center.
Writing center work is inherently service based at its core; those of us involved in the field know and love the work because it marries subjects that matter to us-- rhetoric, composition, and helping people. So for many centers, the addition of outreach into the practice of writing center work is often seamlessly; however, outreach can look different depending on the writing center's institution, campus demographics, staff interest/skills, and community needs. But these differences allow us an opportunity to learn from one another and brainstorm potential avenues for outreach in the future for our own centers. Join us to talk about outreach on our own campuses, the struggles and triumphs of these outreach programs, and the potential for new outreach ideas (or maybe even collaborative ideas).
In light of the discussion, feel free to "reach out" to a writing center friend, supporter, or organization that might want to partner with your center and bring them along to the discussion!
Thursday, April 14th, 8-9pm
This is an online event.
- Follow the moderator (Kyle Boswell is moderating this week: @boskm).
- Questions are tweeted out with "Q" and question number.
- Respond with "A" and corresponding question number at the front of your tweet.
- Don't forget the hashtag! #wcchat
- Use an app that allows you to follow more than one stream. Set a column for #wcchat
- Favorite tools include Tweetdeck and HootSuite
- Follow those you connected with and/or learned from to grow your PLN.
- Be respectful of others.
- Focus on quality responses and questions that generate discussions that focus on our writing center practices.
- Q1: What does outreach on your campus look like for your writing center?
- Q2: How does your writing center stretch beyond traditional clientele? Beyond campus itself?
- Q3: What genuine opportunities exist in your community to expand beyond your current offerings?
- Q4: What do you wish your center did beyond the confines of campus? What organizations have reached out to your center?
- Q5: When taking part in outreach (either on campus or beyond), what obstacles do you encounter?
- Q5 Part 2: How do you overcome those obstacles?
- Q6: What is the impact of outreach on you? On the center?
- Q7: How can outreach on our campus and beyond help us further our mission as a WC?