Fall 2020 Residence Life & Housing Information
Wednesday, September 30, 2020
One Month Down...
We have made it 1 full month and we are doing great! Constant reminders that we are all in this together and we will continue to be successful!
Take precautions, notice and report symptoms - Take care of yourself, and take care of others by reporting any symptoms you may have. We can always use a reminder of what they are; and you can find them on cdc.gov.
Wash Your Hands- Wash your hands multiple times a day with soap and water, rubbing vigorously for 20 seconds before rinsing; use hand sanitizer if you can’t get to soap and water.
Social Distance - The WSU community isn’t the only one you’re part of, so be sure to keep your distance from others, whether you’re on or off campus. It’s a small but effective step in increasing safety for all—including yourself. This includes lounges, bedrooms and apartments. Make sure that you are following health and safety protocol everywhere you go.
Cover Your Face - This is fundamental (and required) and ensures that we’re doing all we can to keep each other safe as we adjust to this new normal.
Clean Up After Yourself - Clothes, books, bags, tables, common areas—they’re all our responsibility, and keeping them clean is an easy way to contribute to keeping our campus environment safe.
Stay Home if Sick: If you’re feeling sick or were in contact with someone who is, seek appropriate care, stay home, and do your part to prevent potential spread.
Be There for Each Other: There’s no denying that this is hard for all of us. If you see someone struggling, talk with them or connect them with the help they need. A kind word or gesture can go a long way, especially now.
If you find yourself concerned about how you are feeling, check our our Counseling Services page in myWSU - you can take an online, free and anonymous mental health screening to see if counseling may be right for you.
You can always reach out to your RA, your RD or Residence Life to check in and talk or if In an immediate crisis situation, students off campus should call 911. On campus students should contact University Police at 508-929-8911.
Health & Safety Inspections NEXT WEEK
The Office of Residence Life has taken comprehensive steps to implement residential safety measures that limit the exposure to COVID-19, but the health and safety of the community is dependent on all its members acting in socially responsible ways. Next week, each building's RAs will work with residents to inspect their rooms, assuring they are following important safety policies.
While the building's RAs are limiting access to residential student spaces this semester, you will be expected to complete a health and safety questionnaire as well as a virtual health and safety inspection via facetime/zoom/google hangouts next week, with your RA. Each resident will be expected to complete a questionnaire that will help you to review social distancing guidelines, policies, and regulations that are important for our community's health and safety.
STEP 1 - RA will email each resident a mandatory questionnaire
STEP 2 - Each resident will set up a virtual health & safety inspection
All answers to the questionnaire can be found on the WSU Safe Return Page and within Residence Life #wooweekly newsletter. This questionnaire should take you no more than 10 minutes to complete.
Reminder: This is a mandatory questionnaire for all residents living on campus in the fall to be completed prior to all health and safety inspections.
Please watch for an email from your RA with access to this questionaire as well as a request to set up a time to virtually inspect your room/suite/apartment.
FIRE DRILLS NEXT WEEK
Massachusetts fire code requirements remain in effect during the COVID-19 public health emergency. Fire drills will be conducted across the Worcester State campus during the week of October 5th.
Please take steps to evacuate safely. When the fire alarm sounds in your building, please observe the following procedures:
- Evacuate immediately. Wear your mask or face covering and take your keys and/or OneCard.
- Use the closest stairwell to your bedroom to exit the building.
- Maintain a physical distance of at least 6 feet from other residents of your building who are also evacuating. Please do not rush or crowd together with other residents.
- Once outside, please move towards the tennis courts, behind Wasylean Hall while maintaining a physical distance of at least 6 feet from other residents.
- Remain outdoors until a staff member from University Police/Facilities or Residence Life signals that you may re-enter the building.
- Please re-enter the building through the same door that you exited. This will create space for all residents to safely and efficiently get back to their rooms.
Please know that we are making every effort to conduct these drills as safely and efficiently as possible.
Thank you for your cooperation.
MA State Travel Order
All visitors entering Massachusetts, including returning residents, who do not meet an exemption, are required to:
- Complete the Massachusetts Travel Form prior to arrival, unless you are visiting from a lower-risk state designated by the Department of Public Health.
- Quarantine for 14 days or produce a negative COVID-19 test result that has been administered up to 72-hours prior to your arrival in Massachusetts.
If your COVID-19 test result has not been received prior to arrival, visitors, and residents must quarantine until they receive a negative test result.
Failure to comply may result in a $500 fine per day.
Please find more information at mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-travel-order
New COVID testing center hours!
Monday - Thursday: 8am - 6pm
Friday - 8:30am - 11:30am
Testing is a mandatory requirement, on a weekly basis and every resident will need to continue weekly testing throughout semester.
You are encouraged to join the weekly campus wide COVID briefings sponsored by the President’s office on Fridays at 9:30am - You can join us by clicking on this link to join the Zoom meeting https://worcester.zoom.us/j/99992614073?pwd=d3E0NDlQUFJVdGZHL2Vtak5lUnJRUT09
Any questions about COVID testing and/or the Co-Verified App, please contact:
Paul Vernucci, Director/COVID-19 Response Manager
Need something fixed?
Here is the simple process you will take to let us know:
1. Submit a work order in MYHousing under MORE TASKS
2. Complete the form, as requested. Be sure to include all information so that we can accurately reflect your request on the work order to facilities.
* If your outlet doesn't work - which outlet? Left or right side? Behind bed or under desk? More detail the better.
* If its a lightbulb in the hallway - which light? Does it flicker or it's just out?
3. Once you complete the Work Order Request, Residence Life will communicate with facilities regarding your concern.
4. Facilities will let Residence Life know when (60 minute window, date and time) they will come to fix the problem.
5. Residence Life will invite all residents of the affected space through your google calendar.
It is imperative ALL residents of that space have vacated the space during this time, as Facilities staff cannot enter your room while you are present. Please plan to be gone before they arrive.
Please note: If you or any of your roommates fail to leave for this time period, Facilities will not enter and your work order will be put hold and not completed.
Our office hours are:
Please use the following address format to receive mail:
Worcester State University
Your First and Last Name - Residence Life
Worcester State University
486 Chandler Street
Worcester, MA 01602
All packages will still be sent to Central Receiving and an email will be sent for package pick up.
No Visitors In Residence Halls
A “no-visitor” policy is in place on upper campus. This policy will be reviewed frequently and restrictions may be eased or revised as the semester progresses.
This includes fellow students and other members of the WSU community not housed in the residence halls as well as external visitors who are not members of the campus community. Students may meet in public spaces on campus, including the Student Center and any outside spaces.
MAKE THE MOST OUT OF THIS EXPERIENCE
ASK US ANYTHING!
Our Zoom Help Desk will be monitored Monday-Friday between 9am-5pm. Please feel free to log on at any time and someone will answer your questions.
Join Zoom Meeting https://worcester.zoom.us/j/93356540318
This service is for brief questions you may have. A Residence Life staff member may ask you to make a longer appointment or need to follow up with you after your zoom meeting. You will be added to a Zoom waiting room and a staff member will meet with you as soon as they are available. Please be patient as they may be meeting with other students. Feel free to leave the waiting room and check back in at a later time.