Eagles' News Brief
September 5 - 9
Welcome Back Eagle Families!
A few important notes!
We have had a WONDERFUL first week and have absolutely enjoyed having your little ones back in school with us!
We are excited to officially welcome our Kindergarten Class of 2035 on Tuesday, September 6!
As a reminder, Tuesday, September 6, is the last day for kindergarten parents to walk their children to class. After Tuesday, ALL parents are asked to remain in their vehicles and drop their students off via our carpool loop.
During arrival, please keep your student in the car with you until 8:00am unless they are a part of our Safety Patrol.
Also, during arrival, please do not drop your student off before the carpool loop begins and attempt to turn left. PLEASE drop your student off in the loop and follow the flow of the carpool line.
During dismissal, please be sure your carpool tag is displayed. (Request a Carpool Tag)
Consider Contributing Towards and / or Sharing about a VSE Donor's Choose Project!
Ms. Gavin - Super Scholastic (1st Grade)
Ms. Rabels - Learning is in the Air and You can Count on It (3rd Grade)
Ms. Martin- Clear the Air for Learning (3rd Grade)
Ms. Viverette - Vandora Springs Kids Love to Read Short Stories (AIG)
Before + After School Care Options
- Garner Parks + Recreation: $130 a month for Garner residents (what a deal!)
- Before School Care (located at Timber Drive Elementary) M-F from 7:00 - 8:00am
- After School Care (on our campus) M-F 3:00-6:00pm
- There are discounts for YMCA members
- There are 2, 3, or 4 days options for families who don't need care all 5 days
- Financial assistance is offered for families who qualify.
- Click here for more information and to register!
- Several local daycares / community partners also drop off and/or pick our students up and provide before and/or after-school care for them. (Aversboro Road Childcare Center, Childcare Network, Community of Hope, Garner Academy, Kindercare, King's Kids, LaPetite Academy)
Frequently Asked Questions...
- Can I Walk My Child to Class? Kindergarten Parents may walk their children to class on on their first full day of school on September 6!
- Should my student pack a water bottle each day? Labeled water bottles are encouraged. Please send your student to school with a labeled water bottle each day. Please also label any backpacks, lunchboxes, or jackets you send with your student.
- How will you communicate with me? Please be sure we have your most up to date contact information, so we can reach you in the event of an emergency and keep you updated. To opt-in to receive text messages, simply text YES to 67587. To update your School Messenger preferences click here! We will send a school newsletter about once a week. You can also expect a weekly folder and regular text / Talking Points communications from your child's teacher.
- What is the best way for me to contact my child's teacher? Talking Points: This year you'll be able to directly text your child's teachers! There is a "TalkingPointsfor Parents" app you can download if you'd like. Messages will then go through the app.
We are looking forward to a wonderful year together with your child!
Applying for Free & Reduced Price Meals
We encourage ALL families that MAY qualify for free or reduced meal prices to please apply. This year, ALL STUDENTS WHO QUALIFY FOR FREE OR REDUCED MEAL PRICES WILL RECEIVE FREE MEALS. In addition to meal benefits for students, our school receives funding for essential staffing, supplies, and programs through this program.
To apply for free or reduced-price meals, please visit www.MySchoolApps.com. Paper applications will always be made available throughout ALL Wake County Public Schools, Crossroads, and at Central Office, or you can call 919-588-3535 or 919-856-2920 to have one mailed to you.
- Application information
- Application information - información sobre la solicitud (Español)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Frequently Asked Questions - preguntas frecuentes (Español)
- Sample application/Ejemplo de solicitud (Please fill out an original / Favor de completar una solicitud original)
- Meal charges policy | Cuentas de Alimentos
Transportation Ineligible Students
After the first month of school, families with students who are ineligible (school assignment requires parents to provide transportation) for school bus transportation may request service. Requests are reviewed in the order received and any approval is for the current school year only. Parents/Guardians must re-submit each year. As priority is given to requests for transportation-eligible students, it may take several weeks to process your request. We urge parents to be patient as routes settle at the start of the school year. Please do not submit duplicate requests as this will delay our ability to respond to your initial request. Find your transportation eligibility by using our address look-up tool.
These requests may be made for the 2022-23 school year on September 30 for Traditional calendar schools.
Carpool Tips & Procedures
Beginning Wednesday, September 7th, ALL carpool parents should remain inside their vehicles and travel through the carpool loop. We will have staff available to make sure your child makes it to class safely.
To keep carpool running smoothly, please be sure your child is seated on the right side of the vehicle with his/her materials ready to go. *Please have your child ready to hop out of the vehicle once your car door is opened.
We encourage you to teach your child to buckle and unbuckle his / her car seat or seat belt independently, but we know it will take some children time to master this.
If your child needs support with unbuckling, please try your best to take care of this before it is his/ her turn to exit the vehicle.
If your child needs help buckling his/ her carseat, we ask that you please pull up to the visitors parking spaces at the end of the carpool loop to take care of this without holding up the carpool line.
We really can get everyone in and out of the carpool loop so much faster if children are ready to go and parents remain in their vehicles.
Here is a short video that explains how carpool works at Vandora Springs:
In the afternoons...
- Please be sure your carpool tag is clearly visible. Anyone who is picking your child up from carpool is required to have a carpool tag. Please request a carpool tag if you’ve not already done so. ()
- Please also note that students who are not at their assigned cone when their car arrives, will be escorted to our waiting area to meet you. If your child is not in place, please patiently follow the directions of our carpool staff, and we will get your student to you as quickly as possible.
Bus Rider Information
Thank you for your patience- especially at the beginning of the year- as routes are solidified and solutions for the driver shortage are explored.
- Kindergarten & First Grade Students will ONLY be released from the bus to a responsible adult. If no adult is present when the bus arrives, the student will be returned to the school / the transportation office for pick up.
- Bus Tags MUST remain attached to your student's backpack. We will provide bus tags to registered students on the first day of school. Students without a bus tag, following the first day of school, may not be allowed to ride the bus.
- Please plan to be at the bus stop 15 minutes before the posted time and be prepared to wait longer than normal in the afternoon.
- Some buses will have to make two separate runs in the morning and/or the afternoon.
- Some buses may not be able to run at all on a given day if too many drivers are absent. Schools and parents will be notified as quickly as possible when that is the case.
What can you do?
- ALL bus riders MUST be registered and confirmed by WCPSS Transportation before they may utilize bus transportation.
- Make sure you review the bus route information for your student. This information was emailed directly to registered bus families last week.
- Everyone is strongly encouraged to sign up for the Here Comes the Bus app, (school code 67500) which allows you to track your student’s bus in real time. It helps to take the guesswork out of when the bus will arrive at your stop. Visit wcpss.net/herecomesthebus to learn more and download the app. It only takes a few minutes.
- You can also visit wcpss.net/busupdates and click on your child’s school. Any delays will be listed there.
- If you do not wish to use the bus service this year, please let us know at wcpss.net/declinebus
We appreciate your patience and understanding as our WCPSS transportation team works hard every day to provide the best service possible to all of our students.
Notes for Walkers & Bikers!
If you live within a mile and a half from our school or are designated by WCPSS as living in a "No Transport/Walker Zone", it is possible for your child(ren) to obtain walker status in the morning and/or afternoon. If you're interested in applying for your child(ren) to be considered for walker status, please email Ashley Byars email@example.com. Your proximity to the school will be reviewed by a team and a decision will be made to ensure safety for all students. Students who are not approved to walk to school will need to utilize bus transportation or carpool.
Students who are granted a walker pass should enter the school building through the front doors by 8:25am. For dismissal, a staff member will dismiss walkers at Eagle Landing (silver picnic tables to the right of the school). Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade students will require an adult (not older sibling) to pick them up and must be on the approved pick-up list which will be validated by proof of photo ID. Please pick up your walker(s) by 3:05pm each day.
Walkers who are picked up in a vehicle will have their walker pass rescinded and will be encouraged to sign up for bus transportation or carpool.
- Email Ashley Byars firstname.lastname@example.org to request walker approval. In the email, please be sure to provide the following information:
- Student's first and last name
- If you're requesting walker status for arrival, dismissal or both
- Ms. Byars will contact families to share if their request is approved or denied.
- Once approved, students will be provided a walker tag that must remain on their bookbag at all times.
- All K-5 walkers will meet at Eagle Landing at 3:00 pm each day.
- K-3 students will be dismissed to an approved adult (photo ID required to pick up student)
- 4-5th graders will be dismissed independently
2022-2023 WCPSS Student Handbook
This handbook was created to help you and your child understand the rules and expectations in school, on the way to and from school and at school-sponsored activities. We encourage you to discuss those rules and this document with your child.
If you have / or know of a rising kindergarten student, we encourage you to go ahead and enroll early. Tours are available! Questions? Contact Tracy Cattano (email@example.com, 919.662.2486 x26141). *Student must be 5 by August 31, 2022.
Here is a list of required documentation that we need you to provide so we may complete registration:
- Current proof of residence - (gas, water, or electric bill that is no more than 30 days old, lease/contract on apartment or house.)
- Certified birth certificate (we must be able to feel the seal.)
- Photo ID of parent/guardian
- Record of immunizations *
- North Carolina Health Assessment completed and stamped by a physician. *To be on file within 30 days of starting school*
Don't forget that you still need to enroll at your base school first, even if you plan to request a transfer to another school.
We look forward to you being a part of our Vandora Springs Elementary Family! If you have any questions, please reach out to Tracy Cattano, at 919-662-2486 ext. 26141.
Volunteering is helpful, but it is not required. Contact Bonnie Fagley- firstname.lastname@example.org.