News you can use from Big Creek Elementary
August 23, 2019
Dates to Know!
AUGUST 27 - 28 - CHORUS REHEARSALS BEGIN
AUGUST 29 - PTO MEETING, 4:30PM, MEDIA CENTER
AUGUST 29 - CURRICULUM NIGHT, 5-7PM (details below)
AUGUST 30 - EARLY RELEASE, 11:50
SEPT 2 - LABOR DAY, NO SCHOOL
SEPT 11 - PICTURE DAY
SEPT 11 - SPIRIT NIGHT, 5-7PM, CHIK-FIL-A,THE COLLECTIONS
SEPT 18 - FAMILY CONNECT NIGHT, NO HOMEWORK
SEPT 26 - STEM NIGHT
SEPT 30 - OCT 4 - FALL BREAK, NO SCHOOL
What's for lunch??
MENU FOR WEEK OF AUGUST 26
Monday: Popcorn Chicken, Salisbury Steak, PBJ, Turkey & Cheese Roll-Up, Turkey Chef Salad, Veggie Salad, Vegetarian Option: Garden Veggie Burger
Tuesday: Breaded Mozzarella Sticks, PBJ, Pizza Munchable, Veggie Salad, Vegetarian Option: Veggie Chik’n Nuggets
Wednesday: Nachos (Cheese, Chicken, Beef), PBJ, Yogurt/ Muffin Munchable, Taco Salad, Veggie Salad, Vegetarian Option: Black Bean Burger
Thursday: Mini Cheese Burgers, Tikka Masala (with Chicken), PBJ, Pizza Munchable, Buffalo Chicken Wrap, Buffalo Chicken Salad, Veggie Salad, Vegetarian Option: Garden Veggie Burger
Friday: Pizza, PBJ, Yogurt/ Muffin Munchable, Chef Salad, Veggie Salad, Vegetarian Option: Veggie Pinwheel
MENU FOR WEEK OF SEPT 3
Tuesday: NEW Chicken Bites, Buffalo Strips, PBJ, Pizza Munchable, Veggie Salad, Vegetarian Option: Veggie Chik’n Nuggets
Wednesday: Nachos (Cheese, Beef, Chicken), PBJ, Yogurt/ Muffin Munchable, Taco Salad, Veggie Salad, Vegetarian Option: Black Bean Burger
Thursday: All American Burger, Mattar Paneer (with Chicken), PBJ, Pizza Munchable, Ham & Cheese Roll-Up, Chef Salad, Veggie Salad, Vegetarian Option: Garden Veggie Burger
Friday: NEW Mini Breaded Cheese Raviolis, Cheesy French Bread, PBJ, Yogurt/ Muffin Munchable, Rotisserie Chicken Salad, Veggie Salad, Vegetarian Option: Veggie Pinwheel
FREE & REDUCED-PRICED MEAL BENEFIT REMINDERS
Meal benefits are extended for the first 30 days of school for all students that received them at the end of last year. Families are still required to complete an application before the end of the 30 day grace period (September 12) to retain their benefits for the remainder of this school year. We encourage on-line applications because these can usually be approved within 48 hours whereas paper applications can take up to 10 days for approval. The Food and Nutrition webpage contains all the information and links needed to apply on-line. It also provides information on how to obtain a paper application. The application (on-line and paper) and related information is also available in Spanish. on-line application
IMPORTANT CAR LINE INFORMATION
A few reminders to keep a safe and efficient car line in the mornings:
- Car line drop off at the curb is from 7:10 to 7:38. At 7:38 you will need to park and sign your child in at the front office as they will not have time to get from the curb to their classroom by 7:40.
- This year, we continue to use double lanes in the parking lot when you enter from Peachtree Pkwy. Cars then will merge to a single lane at the turn by Mullinax Nursery. At the merge, the lanes will alternate, one car at a time, so the wait times in each lane will be comparable. Please be courteous and follow these procedures.
- While in the car line you must pull forward towards the cafeteria door as far as you can without leaving large gaps.
- Students may not be dropped off before your vehicle reaches the sidewalk. It is unsafe and is not allowed for any reason. If you need to exit the vehicle to assist your child in any way, please park in the available parking spaces and walk your student all the way across the crosswalk.
- It is critical that you are paying attention and alert in the car rider line. Cell phones should not be used during car line.This causes unsafe conditions and greatly impacts our efficiency when drivers are unaware that the line has moved on ahead of them. Thank you for helping us ensure a safe and efficient drop off in morning car line.
We appreciate your cooperation in following our procedures designed to ensure a safe and efficient car pool line during morning drop offs.
We no longer have a drop off table
- The new smaller and secured entrance has also reduced our space for a drop off table for forgotten items. There will be a small cart for forgotten lunches only to be dropped off by 10:00 am. If your child needs a hot lunch each day, we recommend purchasing a thermos to put in your child’s lunchbox each morning at home, or have your child purchase a hot and nutritious school lunch.
- There will be no space on the drop off cart for items such as binders, coats, water bottles, etc. We will accept forgotten eyeglasses or medicine through our security window and notify teachers.
Important Chorus Information
· Rehearsals will begin on Tuesday, August 27th for 4th grade, and Wednesday August 28th for 5th grade.
· REHEARSAL SCHEDULE: 4th graders will come every Tuesday morning, and 5th graders will come every Wednesday. (Students may be dropped off as early as 6:45am)
· 2019-20 PERFORMANCE DATES:
o November 11th- Veterans Day Performance
o December 3rd- Holiday Shop Performance
o January 10th- Gladiators Performance
o April 30th- Fine Arts Night
· If students do not have a chorus polo from last year, they will need to purchase one for $15 on MyPayments Plus.
· All Chorus Members will need to turn in a signed chorus contract (students will receive contract in music class).
FAMILY CONNECT NIGHTS ARE BACK!
Last Few Days to Join the Birthday Book Club!
This is the last week to join this school year’s Birthday Book Club.
Honor your child’s birthday and support our media center. Your child will enjoy the following club benefits:
- Be the first student to check out the newest books
- Get their name & birth month/day inscribed in the book they checked out
- Get a picture with their book in a year-long hallway display
- Get their birthday announced on the morning news
- Get a goody bag
You can join via My Payments Plus OR by turning in the enclosed form to the homeroom teacher by Aug. 30th.
It's Time for Battle of the Books Club!
Do you have a 3rd, 4th, or 5th grader that loves to read? Register them in the Battle of the Books Club! Members work in teams to read books and prepare to battle on their knowledge of the books. The school-level winners compete for trophies at the county level in May. Space is limited to the first 32 third graders who register before August 30th. Membership into the 4th/5th grade group requires students to turn in a form without payment by August 30th, then read one book and take a brief quiz on it before school on Wednesday, September 4th. Students that earn the top 32 quiz scores earn a spot and can then pay the registration fee. See the form below for more details.
Big Creek Loves Literacy!
Our students absolutely LOVE checking out books from the Media Center, and the district has sent us some new data to prove it. Last year, our students checked out more than 26,000 books, which is anywhere from 6,000-21,000 more books than other schools our size. WOW! We love that our students take advantage of our fantastic media center and all that it has to offer. Keep reading, Wildcats!
Have you bought a Brick for Big Creek??
Did you know Big Creek turns 80 years old this year? One of the ways we are celebrating is with our Bricks for Big Creek legacy brick program. What better way to leave a mark on our special school today and for years to come. These personalized bricks will be used to create and enhance new spaces around our campus. We've already had a wonderful response so don't miss out! To order your brick, click on the link below:
Notes from Nurse G
- Early morning routines can be rough for both parents and students! It can be especially hard on students when they do not have enough sleep. According to the National Sleep Foundation, school age children ages 6-13 years old should get 9-11 hours of sleep a night. This allows their brain and body to rest, helps them stay healthy and has a positive influence on their classroom performance.
- The Georgia heat is still here! For the comfort, health and safety of your student I recommend your child wear light colored, and appropriate for the season clothing, so they do not get overheated. Please make sure you send your child with a water bottle every day, so they stay well-hydrated. I also recommend socks and sneakers for footwear. These not only protect your child’s feet from injury (i.e. ant bites, wood chips, etc.), but also they are safer to run and climb in while on the playground.
- For all students, including older students, please place spare clothing in their back pack. Sometimes students have spills or ripped clothing that require a change, especially shorts and pants. The clinic is low on extra shorts and pants if you have any gently used items you would like to donate.
Thank you for supporting your student as we start the year off right!!
Please support our Partners in Education
At Big Creek Elementary, we are fortunate to have many wonderful businesses involved in our Partners in Education program. These community members generously give their time and resources to invest in our students’ well-being and successes. Please take a moment to learn more about our fantastic business partners and consider supporting the businesses that support Big Creek!