Science 7 Newsletter
Hicksville Middle School
Welcome to Room 237!
I hope this email finds you well and enjoying the unseasonably warm weather! Below you will find that I have listed anticipated assignments for the week and other important reminders.
Grades for this week?
*Textbook Trial: For this unit, students are testing out a free online science textbook which includes practice questions and videos. You will notice two (2) notebook point assignments this week require access to this online textbook. For students who do not take their computer home or those without Internet, a PDF copy can be downloaded and printed. Additionally, all assignments have been planned for days with HomeBase time.
Science 7 students will be earning grades on the following assignments for the week:
- CK-12 Textbook Section 3 Review Questions: On Monday (2/1), students will continue their exploration of populations and ecological organization. A short series of questions reviewing these concepts are to be answered in the student notebook by Tuesday (2/2). Notebook points will be awarded for this assignment.
- Ecological Organization Quiz: On Tuesday (2/2), students will complete the quiz over the notes learned last week. Quizlet is a great resource for reviewing these terms, in addition to the CK-12 online textbook.
- CK-12 Textbook Section 4 Review Questions: On Wednesday (2/3), students will continue their exploration of population dynamics. A short series of questions reviewing these concepts are to be answered in the student notebook by Thursday (2/4). Notebook points will be awarded for this assignment.
- Mount St. Helens Homework: To further review the idea of succession, on Thursday (2/4) students will respond to a series of questions in their notebooks related to images of Mount St. Helens in the years following the eruption. This assignment will be checked on Friday (2/5). Notebook points will be awarded for this assignment.
- Population and Succession Quiz: On Friday (2/5) students will complete the quiz over the population and succession notes learned this week. Quizlet and the CK-12 online textbook are great resources for reviewing for this quiz.
Unit Test Grades: The test grades for the Biomes and Climate Unit Test have been entered into PowerSchool. In grading these tests, it appears that some students continue to express weakness in written explanation of ideas and/or appropriate use of vocabulary. Please encourage your student to attend PRIDE on Thursdays to help review for quizzes/tests.
Student performance is tracked daily using the Class Dojo app. Access your student's profile to view his or her daily or weekly class performance by clicking on the button above.
This website features flashcards and games to help your student study unit vocabulary in preparation for quizzes and tests. Click the button above to visit the website.