Blue Devil Blast
Volume I, Issue 23 - January 28, 2022
Dr. Looney's Message
Covid Surveillance testing is now active within the Norcross Cluster Schools. If you are interested in opting your student in (every Thursday), fill out the form sent in the email and included below.
Job Fair next Saturday, February 5, from 10am - 12:30pm.
We will start our Black History Month activities next week.
Don't forget to reach out to our Parent Coordinator, Rosanna Carlson, if you need parent support.
Have a wonderful, blessed weekend.
The Coming Month
- January 28 - Soccer @5:30pm @SummerourMS
- January 29 - Western Conference Basketball Tournament
- January 31 - National School Counseling Week Begins
- January 31 - Club & Team Photo Day
- January 31 - Western Conference Girls Semi-Finals
- February 1 - Club & Team Photo Day
- February 1 - School Council Meeting
- February 1 - Western Conference Boys Semi-Finals
- February 4 - Western Conference Championships
- February 5 - Norcross Cluster Job Fair @ Summerour
- February 5 - Soccer @10am @SummerourMS
- February 8 - County Championship Games
- February 10 - Soccer @5:15pm @SummerourMS
- February 12 - Saturday Youth Academy
- February 14 - Valentine's Day
- February 17, 18, 21 - School Holiday for Students & Teachers
- February 18 - Soccer @PinckneyvilleMS Time TBA
- February 26 - Saturday Youth Academy
86% in February
Have your student stay in practice and work on Khan Academy daily. Short sessions every day will do wonders. We are giving incentives out each month. We also have a Khan Saturday Program - ask your math teacher to join!
AAP (Credit Recovery) Underway
How do you know if your child was selected?
- We sent a letter home with the student on Wednesday
- We also emailed a PDF copy of the letter home on Thursday
Round 1: Math and Social Studies Dates
- January 21 - Sign Up closed
- January 24 - February 7
- 7:15 am to 8:15 am
Round 2: Language Arts and Science Dates
- Sign Up not open yet; letters will be sent as it approaches
- February 8 - February 24
- 7:15 am to 8:15 am
Parents or guardians must provide transportation to the school; Students will need to be dropped off in the back or the building (car rider lane).
Grade Level News You Can Use
Parents, thank you in your continued support to help your child start off with a STRONG FOUNDATION for second semester!
Here are a couple of quick notes for 6th grade:
- Please remember that your child has math homework to complete, using Khan Academy. They can access it on mobile devices, phones, tablets, or a computer. Please reach out to the math teacher for an update on their Khan Academy growth
- Tutoring is available on each team this semester, and often in the morning. Please reach out to your child's teacher for details. Our hope for 6th grade is to establish a firm foundation in February, to set our kids up for success
Mr. Lenie George
6th Grade Assistant Principal
Mrs. Pam Griswell
6th Grade Counselor
7th Grade Upcoming Assessments
- Math - Tuesday, 2/1
Thanks for all your support in ensuring students are Respectful, Responsible, Role Models!
Mr. Stacy James
7th Grade Assistant Principal
Mrs. Yunilda Valdez
7th Grade Counselor
AAP (for credit recovery) began on Monday. It is be from 7:15 am to 8:15 am. Individual students who qualify for SS or Math were notified and signed up this week.
Students who qualify for session 2 (Language Arts or Science) will be notified as those dates approach.
Mrs. Christy Gray
8th Grade Assistant Principal
Mrs. Robin Blackwell
8th Grade Counselor
Mrs. Kimberly Blackshear
Gear Up/ Special Education Counselor
Some Impressive Student Projects
- January 31
- Select students only
- (Informational letters sent 1/14 for the 50 students selected)
- March 15 - Language Arts & Science
- March 16 - Math & Social Studies
- ACCESS testing for our English Language Learners is about 3/4 complete...but not over yet. There are several parts to the test. Please ensure students are rested and ready on the day of the test.
G.I.F.T.S. Service Project Ends Monday
The G.I.F.T.S. mentoring program began taking donations on 12/6/2021 for Rainbow Village. Rainbow Village is an organization that helps abused & battered women along with their kids to give them a safe haven to live in.
Below is a PDF wish list of items that they particularly need, though this list is not all they would accept to run their safe haven.
Ms. Lakysha Smith, our clinic worker, is the point person. You can email her or any G.I.F.T.S. leadership with questions.
Collection is ongoing until 1/31/2022
More information about G.I.F.T.S. can be found on our clubs page
Summerour Middle School hosts
Gwinnett's Western Conference Basketball Tournament
GCPS Championship games
- January 29 - 8am to 9pm
- January 31 - 5pm to 9pm - Semi-finals, Girls
- February 1 - 5pm to 9pm - Semi-finals, Boys
- February 4 - 5pm to 9pm - Western Conference Championships
- February 8 - 5pm to 9pm - County Championships