Spiny Dogfish Shark
- they are the most abundant sharks in the world
- they may be found in atlantic and pacific oceans
- "spiny" refers to mildly poisonous thorn-like spines located in front of each dorsal fin
- hunts alone or in packs
- consume whatever they can sink to their teeth
- they eat krill, jellyfish, crab, haddock, ratfish, worms, squid, octopus,
More cool facts !!
- some spiny dogfish dont lay their eggs in the water to hatch, they hatch inside their mother and emerge into the open sea.
- the female spiny dogfish will produce a little of between 2 - 15 spiny dogfish pups.
- No anal fin
- Spines in front of each dorsal fin
- Irregular white spots present on sides and back of the body
- Strongly oblique teeth in both jaws, with single cusp
- No subterminal notch on caudal fin
- Pectoral fins with curved rear margins
- Narrow anterior nasal flap
- they live about 20 -75 years
- matures late and reproduces slowly with gestation lasting 2 years
- they can be found at the surface of the ocean (900) meters
- they can tolerate temperatures between 7 and 25 degrees Celsius