December 10, 2021
From the Principal
- It is so wonderful to be back! I have felt so welcomed by everyone and am truly grateful for the warm reception I have received from both our staff and our school community. In the upcoming weeks, I look forward to continuing to connect with students and families at our winter events. I am eternally grateful to Ms. O'Shea for providing her knowledge and leadership in my absence and I look forward to continuing to work alongside her as I transition back into this amazing school community.
- Towne Courts, the town home community adjacent to the school, will be having tenants move in over the holiday break. We have been in contact with them to share our arrival/dismissal times so that everyone is aware.
- What happens to our schedule if we have a delayed opening on a Wednesday? Students will come 2 hours late, and dismiss at our normal time, 3:15.
- Please see flyers below for virtual help with math available to all students.
- Our online Scholastic Book Fair is December 6-19.
- Vision and hearing screenings will take place on December 17. All students in prekindergarten, kindergarten, 1st grade and all new students will be screened.
- Our PTA has some exciting events for December, please read below.
Book Fair fall 2021 will run from Dec. 6 - 19th. Our fair is online only. You can access the fair starting on December 6th by using this link: https://www.scholastic.com/bf/monarchannapolis
Orders of $25.00 or more will be shipped free of charge to the student's home. Books make great gifts! Thank you for supporting reading and our school library.
Have a great weekend!
Holidays Around the World
Over the past two weeks, our students have been learning about different holidays that occur in December. Below we have highlighted two holidays Hanukkah and Kwanzaa. Hanukkah is the Jewish holiday celebrating the miracle of light. Kwanzaa is an African- American and Pan American holiday that celebrates family, community, and culture. Please take time to explore the two PowerPoints below to learn more about these holidays!
7 Picture Retake Day
8 AACPS Project Unity Day (wear orange)
17 Vision and Hearing Screening (all students in prekindergarten, kindergarten, 1st grade and all students new to MAA will be screened)
23 2 hour early dismissal (new)
24-31 Schools closed for Christmas/Winter Break
17 Schools closed for Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday Commemoration
27 & 28 2 hour early dismissal for end of second marking period (dismissal at 1:15)
31 No School for Students, Semester Break
9 AACPS Project Unity Day (wear orange)
21 Schools closed for President's Day
7 2 hour late arrival for conferences (arrival at 10:15)
8 2 hour early dismissal for conferences (dismissal at 1:15)
30 AACPS Project Unity Day (wear orange)
Monarch Annapolis Concert Dates
Thursday, January 13, 2022 - Winter Strings, Uke, Mariachi Concert
Tuesday, January 18, 2022 - Winter Band, Chorus, Steel & Bucket Drum Concert
Thursday, May 12, 2022 - Spring Strings, Uke, Mariachi Concert
Tuesday, May 17, 2022 - Spring Band, Chorus, Steel & Bucket Drum Concert
*Annapolis Band Feeder Concert – Jan 24th pending – 4th/5th Grade (Field Trip) - *Optional
* June Cultural Arts Showcase – Date TBD – Featuring student compositions, solos, art, and more! – *Optional
Join the MAA PTA for a Literary Evening to Remember!
Tuesday, December 14th on the PTA Facebook Page 6:30 PM English and 7:00 PM Spanish
Please see flyer below for more information!
Sign up and receive a holiday craft per child to do over winter break! Sign-up by December 17th to receive a craft. Please note how many crafts you would like to receive. Pick-up details will be announced soon. See flyer for details! https://signup.com/client/invitation2/secure/677013774019768012/false#/invitation