Counseling Center News Letter
Erin Barnett (D-HEN) ext. 4021
April Marquez (Her-McC) ext. 4019
Greg Swaggart (McD-Sch) ext. 4020
Kerry Stites (Sco-Z) ext. 4018
Carrie Rodebush, Secretary ext. 4103
Melissa Madden, College/Scholarship Coord., ext 4003
Counseling Fax (816) 986-4116
- October 24: Coffee with A Counselor, 7:30-8:30 am LMC
- October 24: National College Fair, 6-8 pm, Bartle Hall
- October 26: Herdon Career Center Presentation, Titan Time, PAC
- October 27: Cerner Scholars Applications Due (see more info below)
- November 2: "I Want To Be A Morehouse Man" KC, 7-9pm (See Flyer Below)
November 7: No School, Professional Development
November 14: KC Scholars Info. Night, 7-8 pm, LSW PAC
November 16: Summit Technology Academy Open House 6:30-8:00pm
Full Calendar Available on the LSW Counseling Website: http://lswhs.lsr7.org/counseling/
Upcoming College Visits
Kansas State University - Nov. 2 @ 12:30 p.m.
Emporia State University - Nov. 8 @10:30 a.m.
Pittsburg State University - Nov. 10 @10:30 a.m.
Columbia College - Nov. 13 @1:00 p.m.
UMKC - Nov. 15 @11:00 a.m.
Appointments typically for junior and seniors. Be sure to sign up no later than the day before in Counseling Center with Melissa Madden or call ext. 4003.
Seniors! Make an appointment with your counselor to discuss your post secondary plans! We can help with college applications, scholarship searches, and financial aid questions (FAFSA)!
- Many colleges have November 1 application deadlines for scholarship eligibility. Do you know your deadlines?
- The 18/19 FAFSA is now available. The FAFSA priority deadline is February 1 https://fafsa.ed.gov/. Students should complete the FAFSA even if you don't think you will qualify for grant money. You must also complete it to qualify for Federal Work Study, low interest/ delayed interest loans, and parent loans.
- SCHOLARSHIPS: There are many types of scholarships available for students to research: national corporations, local, and college specific. http://lswhs.lsr7.org/counseling/scholarships/
- Letters of Recommendation: Don't forget to give your counselor and teachers at least 3 weeks notice when requesting letters of recommendation. Also, submit an academic resume or a completed information sheet at the time of the request. http://lswhs.lsr7.org/counseling/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/12/CounselingCenterInformationSheet.pdf
- Additional Resources: Journey to College (MO Department of Ed)
- Senior Year Checklist
ACT Dates and Prep Courses
- ACT Test Dates and Registration: actstudent.org
- Family Connections- Students can log onto their Family Connections Account and access a wealth of free ACT Practice/Prep called "Naviance Test Prep".
- Students can take a course called "ACT Prep" as one of their elective classes at LSW. This class is a semester long class and offers content, test strategy, and test practice.
- After school ACT Prep Classes Offered in November, January, and March. The cost is $40. Flyers available in the Counseling Center. Register with Ms. Madden ext. 4003
Cerner Scholars- Completed Applications Due October 27
Cerner Scholars, a Summit Technology Academy "signature program", provides technology-savvy juniors and seniors with an opportunity to earn 1.5 hours of high school credit while working at one of the Cerner campuses in the KC metro area during the school day. This is a very unique and excellent opportunity for those students who are passionate about technology (software development, networks, scripting, etc.) to gain exposure to the industry and apply what they have learned in the classroom. There is NO requirement that they attend Summit Tech, but they must have some formal technical training (PLTW, other technology classes your school may offer) and meet the other requirements for entrance into the program.
- Grade: 11 or 12
- Unweighted GPA of 3.0 or better
- 95% attendance
- Gained technical skills and experience at sending school or in a STA program as a junior.
- Completed application approved by counselor and teacher/supervisor
- Click here for more information
A creation of the Kauffman Foundation, KC Scholars supports postsecondary achievement through scholarships, financial incentives to promote college savings, and support services for low and modest-income students and adults. KC Scholars will present about their programs and the application process on November 14 from 6-8 pm at LSW Performing Arts Center. More information can be found on their website http://www.kcscholars.org/about-kc-scholars/ Applications open January 1, 2018.
Sending Transcripts: Students must have a completed transcript release form on file with Ms. Madden before a transcript can be sent to a college, college coach, or otherwise. Hard copies of the release form are available in the Counseling Center or they can be accessed at- transcript release.
Seniors - How to request a transcript for a college application. Students needing a transcript sent for college applications need to do so using Family Connections. Click on the link for instructions. Family Connections Quick Guide to Requesting Transcripts.
Coffee With A Counselor- October 24 7:30-8:30am
Parents: join our Counseling Team in the LSW Library Media Center for coffee and conversation as we discuss Senior Year Planning!