Holy Name of Mary, Monday, December 9, 2019
We have just ten school days left before the Christmas break, and it is going to be a busy time. Teachers, please let us know how much time/support you need to get any documents copied over the next two weeks. We will do our best to get you the support you need to get it done!
Have a great week!
This week's Shout-Outs:
I'd like to give a shoutout to Sara Empey for taking my grade 2 students to the gym with her grade 1/2 class so I could prep for my supply teacher when I was very sick on Monday.
Shout out to everyone who is helping me lift and move things lately! Me and baby Hart appreciate it!
- Sara H
I’d like to send a shout out to Sara, Hannah and Rachel for their help in achieving a positive week for my class.
A big shout out to Mary, Kristine, Pascale and who ever else helped out for the HNOM float in the parade, great job guys you all looked so cute!
A very heartfelt shout out to all staff for all the support I received this past week. Your kind words and prayers for my family on the loss of my father in-law was appreciated more than you can ever imagine.
A big shout out to Pascale for joining me and Kristine during this year's Santa Claus Parade.
- Thank you to Steve and Kris for coaching our Senior Volleyball teams last week. You both had tough decisions to make when it came to choosing your teams, and you made brave choices, understanding that this time it wasn't about winning.
- Thank you to Catherine, Sara R, Bryanna, Erin and the Student Council for putting together a spectacular Trivia Challenge on Friday! What an awesome way to get kids using their brains and working with kids in other grades.
- A huge shout-out to Mary R, Kristine, Neil and our EAs for their hard work on the Christmas Parade this weekend! You did a great job!
Our group lists are ready for Carolling in the Community on Tuesday, December 17th at 1:30pm.
I will give each teacher a copy of the lists Monday and a stack of notes for you to send home to parents. Please fill in the name of each child in your homeroom on the note and indicate where they will be singing and what time (please note that one group going to Orchardview is singing at 1:30pm and the other is singing at 2:30pm). These can be sent home with students on Tuesday.
Don't forget to keep practising every day with your morning class! All students should also learn the French songs with their French teachers. We will have our first Family Group practice this Thursday December 12th at 11:30am. We will repeat these practices on Friday the 13th, Monday the 16th and Tuesday the 17th.
It might be fun for the students to bring Santa hats and jingle bells if they have them. You can discuss this on Thursday when you get together to sing in your Family Groups for the first time.
Great Stuff, Great Staff.
Julie's little bakers made some Christmas cookies in their classroom kitchen last week.
(Not sure they are edible, but they sure look yummy.)
Katie's class got their CASL math questions back (the ones we moderated on the PA Day) and took the questions up as a group. This generated lots of discussion and reflection.
Cathy and Owen are a great team! She patiently watched as he tried out every possible solution to this multiple choice question.
Kristine's students are practising letter writing and delivered some great letters to me this week! You can check them out on my office door. They stuck around to check out my new table.
Kristine and Mary did such a great job organizing and making costumes for the Almonte Santa Claus Parade last night.
Catherine dreamed up the Holy Name of Mary Trivia Challenge with the Wolf Pack and it was a huge success! It was so great to see kids from different grades quietly thinking and working together on a Friday afternoon.
Kris made some great decisions in forming his Senior Girls volleyball team this year. He considered other factors and put together a team of girls who could really use a boost! They did great and went all the way to the finals.
Liz's class has been having fun accomplishing tasks that the Grinch leaves for them to do. On this day they showed up in Caroline's office with thank you notes they had written for her on little cue cards.
Our first annual Trivia Challenge winners! I love so many things about this photo:
- Adley's upturned hands and his "Live every day like it's Friday" shirt;
- Mitchell and Ethan's proud smiles (Mitchell stormed into my office last week, convinced that no grade 7's would join his team. Ethan walked in 2 minutes later, saw how upset Mitchell was and said he'd be happy to join him);
- Carter's arm wrapped around little Travis;
- Our two lovely emcees Emily and Sierra, who continue to take on leadership roles with grace and confidence;
- Matthew and William proudly standing up on the desk at the back. They'd both been into mischief at lunch that day and one of them had ended up at the office. So nice to see that they ended the day on a positive note;
- Everyone reaching to touch the dusty old trophy Sara pulled out of the back closet. It's great to see kids being proud of non-sports accomplishments!
Like Kris, Steve made some tough decisions in putting together his volleyball team. He opted to include more boys rather than just take a small team of the strongest players. They had a great day even though they didn't make it to the finals.
Laura's class was having a great time journaling this week and incorporating their weekly words into their work. I always say that there is a lot of value to having regular routines that kids know and can depend on. It's what makes them feel safe and secure. Just look at those smiles.
Advent is here!
Kristine's class got busy making these adorable little Advent wreaths on Monday morning for the first week of Advent. They also made this lovely bulletin board (below) to count down the days until Christmas!
The Week Ahead
Monday, December 9, 2019
- Andrew away (pm only, Jennifer Bowler)
- Nicole Oattes in for testing
- Ron away (pm only, Erin Hogan)
- AV IPRC (dad) at 8:30am
- MH IPRC at 8:45am
- LR IPRC at 8:50am
- Meeting with Claire Dulmage re: AH at 9:30am
- Advent Week 2 Assembly at 11:30am
Tuesday, December 10, 2019
- Sandy away (pm only)
- RB IPRC at 8:15am
- KB IPRC at 8:30am
- WE Day Livestream in the library 10:00am-2:00pm
Wednesday, December 11, 2019
- Junior Boys/Girls volleyball (we are hosting the girls!)
- Lucie away (pm only, Christine Provost)
- Melanie Fielding in
- Steve convening VB Tournament (Jeannie Hendry)
- Spec. Ed. team meeting at 8:45am
- Plan for Care meeting for EH at 1:45pm
- Cathy leaving at 3:00pm
Thursday, December 12, 2019
- Caroline and Pascale at Central Leaders' meeting in Kemptville
- Erin TIC
- Jillian away (pm only, Mara Harrison)
- Liz B away
- Pay Day
- Caroling practice at 11:30am
Friday, December 13, 2019
- Debbie Balog in
- Carolling practice at 11:30am
- Staff Christmas Party at 4:00pm at the Barley Mow