Seven Hills Elementary News
A Home-School Connection
April 3, 2018
4th and 5th Grade Star Leaders Take STAAR Tests Next Week:
- Tuesday, April 10: 4th Grade Writing STAAR, 5th Grade Math STAAR
- Tuesday, April 11: 5th Grade Reading STAAR
Information and Reminders About STAAR Testing:
- If you have specific questions regarding the assessment your child will take, please contact your child's homeroom teacher.
- Please do not schedule any doctor appointments for students in testing grade levels on testing days.
Arrive at school before the 7:40 am tardy bell so that any personal needs can be taken care of before testing begins promptly at 8:00 am.
STAAR tests have a 4-hour time limit.
For test security, all cell phones/electronic devices will be collected before testing begins. They will be returned at the end of testing for the day.
A light snack and water bottle will be provided for students on STAAR testing days. Students may bring their own snack. Only dry snacks please. No sticky or juicy foods.
Get plenty of sleep the night before the test, and eat a protein rich breakfast on testing days.
If your child is demonstrating anxiety or concern about the STAAR tests, we encourage you to sit down and discuss how they can be a LEADER on testing days, and use the 7 Habits to feel prepared and ready to SHINE!
Spring Lunch Application Contest Deadline Extended!
Thank you to everyone who has already participated in the Free & Reduced Application promotion. April 10th is the deadline for students to submit a Free & Reduced Application and possibly win a prize.
- All grade levels that hit 95% of students to complete a Free & Reduced application will get a Free Ice Cream treat on Thursday, April 12th!
- All students who submit an application will have their name put into a drawing to win a “VIP Meal.” 5 students will win a “VIP Meal.” The winning students will get a VIP menu to choose their winning meal. Mean items include: personal pan Pizza Hut Pizza, 6” Subway Sub, Panini, Wrap and/or Salad.
We want to make sure all grade level have a chance to win a Free Ice Cream Treat on Thursday, April 12th!
The Free & Reduced Promotion Details
- The numbers above includes all students who have submitted an applications. You don’t have to qualify for the free & reduced program to be counted towards the promotion.
- If you are on the free & reduced program, you don’t have to submit a new application. If your income or your household size has changed, you may want to submit a new application.
- If you know you don’t qualify for the program, simple write “Don’t Qualify” at the top of the application. You will not need to complete the application for your child to be count towards the promotion. Be sure to include your child(ren)’s name so we can count them towards the promotion.
- Online applictions, also count towards the promotion. You can complete an online application at: http://northwestisd.schoollunchapp.com
If you have any questions, please contact the NISD Food Service Office at 817-215-0007.
Current Number of Submitted Free & Reduced Application
7 Hills READS!
Have you been reading The Adventures of a South Pole Pig! Don't forget...Families are invited to share their reading on social media using the hashtags, #7HillsREADS and #7HillsLEADS. You can also send your pictures to Mrs. Blackburn at firstname.lastname@example.org, or to your homeroom teacher. We will post pictures on social media to promote our school book and reading! We can't wait to see our 7 Hills families reading together!
Thank you PTA for purchasing these books for EVERY 7 Hills student!
Speeding to Read Update:
Is your child on track with the Speeding to Read challenge? Remember, For Turns 4, the minimum goal is 25 books per turn for Kindergarten–2nd-grade students and six (6) chapter books for 3rd–5th-grade students. We encourage students to set high goals and read over the minimum number of books each turn. We are in the final turn before the big Championship Assembly at Texas Motor Speedway in May! Please continue to READ, READ, READ! And make sure that students are logging their books! Don't forget to count Adventures of a South Pole Pig once your family completes the reading!
Seven Hills Raised $3,899.39 for The American Heart Association!
Save the Date:
Friends at the Fire House:
- Tuesday, April 3 3:45 at the Newark Fire House
STAAR Testing and Closed Campus from 7:20 - 3:00:
- 4th grade Writing STAAR: Tuesday, April 10
- 5th Grade Math STAAR: Tuesday, April 10
- 5th Grade Reading STAAR: Wednesday, April 11
- Tuesday, April 17 6:00 pm
Leadership Assemblies and College Colors Day:
- Friday, April 20 (K-2 8:00, 3-5 8:30)
NISD Elementary Art Show:
- Monday and Tuesday, April 23 and April 24
- Friday, April 27
- Friday, April 27 5:30 - 7:30 pm
PTA Mother - Son Event:
- Saturday, May 5
STAAR Testing and Closed Campus from 7:20 - 3:00:
- Monday, May 14: 3rd -4th Grade Math & 5th Grade Math re-test
- Tuesday, May 15: 3rd - 4th Grade Reading & 5th Grade Reading re-test
- Wednesday, May 16: 5th Grade Science
Speeding to Read Championship Assembly:
- Wednesday, May 23
- Friday, May 25
Memorial Day School Holiday:
- Monday, May 28
1st - 4th Grade End of Year Awards Assemblies:
- Wednesday, May 30 (times TBA)
- Thursday, May 31, 8:15 am
5th Grade Celebration:
- Thursday, May 31, 6:00 pm
PTA Carnival Silent Auction Basket Items Needed:
If you would like to donate items to the grade level silent auction baskets for the PTA Carnival on Friday, April 27th, please sign-up using the links below. Thank you in advance for your support of the Seven Hills PTA!
Pre-K/PPCD and Kindergarten: Pre-K & Kinder Carnival Auction Basket - OUTDOOR FUN
Important Yearbook Information...Don't Miss Your Opportunity to Purchase Yearbooks and Ads!
Campus Information and Reminders:
- School Doors Open and Staff Are On Duty at 7:20 am: Please remember that students should not be dropped off at school before the doors open and staff are on duty at 7:20 am.
- The safety and security of students, staff, and visitors is a priority. All visitors must sign-in with the front office using the Raptor system to receive a visitor badge. Any visitor without a badge will be redirected to the front office. Please note that we have a new and improved Raptor system for signing our visitors and volunteers in at Seven Hills. All guests and volunteers will be required to scan their ID on their first visit to school this year. Thank you in advance for your patience.
- Student Absences: Please contact the school office if your child will be absent from school. This helps us verify our overall attendance for the day and properly account for all students. When your child returns to school after an absence, please be sure to send a note explaining the reason for the absences.
- See What’s Going on in Our Communities: As a service to our families, the district provides the Community Folder for non-school groups or organizations to post information that may be of interest or a benefit to students and families. Click here to see approved flyers.
- Camp Invention: NISD will offer 2 Camp Invention Opportunities this summer! For more information: Lakeview Elementary Camp Invention: https://inventnow-web.ungerboeck.com/program…/moreinfo.aspx… Schluter Elementary Camp Invention: https://inventnow-web.ungerboeck.com/program…/moreinfo.aspx…