Panther Proud: October 2021
We've had a busy start to the 2021-2022 School Year! We are thankful for 5 days per week in-person learning, welcoming spectators to our athletic events, and our district theme to intentionally spread kindness. Although we continue to have hurdles to jump through with NYS and the Department of Health requirements, we are tackling each obstacle as it arises with flexibility, perseverance, and determination to do what's best for our students, our staff and our families. To increase communication, I've implemented a monthly e-newsletter, in addition to the quarterly newsletters that are mailed to our community. As always, please reach out to me through email@example.com with any comments, questions, concerns, or kudos.
S-VE Superintendent of Schools
S-VE District Goals
- S-VE will increase awareness, interest, and involvement by encouraging collaborative efforts to develop school spirit and community pride.
- S-VE will cultivate creative, problem solving and future ready citizens through rich experiences and positive relationships.
- S-VE will invest in and support social-emotional well-being, academic growth, and community through meaningful connections.
High School Objectives
The Spencer-Van Etten High School will:
- Have 50% of the student population earn a c-pass. (Calculate using each marking period total).
- Achieve an average mastery rate of 30% for all 10 Regents exams.
- Meet or exceed the regional and state passing rate for all 10 Regents exams.
- Achieve an average mastery rate of 55% for all final exams.
- Achieve an average mastery rate of 60% for each course - using final grade for the course.
- Achieve an Advanced Designation rate of at least 40%.
- Achieve a graduation rate of 100%.
- Meet or exceed the “chronically absent rate” of the state determined MIP (Measures of Interim Progress) for SVE High School.
- Have 93% of students participate in at least 1 extra-curricular activity.
Middle School Objectives
School Spirit/Community Pride
Students, faculty, and staff will create a feeling of increased school belonging by:
- Providing t-shirts for every person in the building
- Sharing grade level activities via social media at least once weekly
- Having 90% or higher participation in Spirit Weeks through homeroom competitions
- Continuing to sing the Alma Mater on Fridays
- Using Staff Shout Outs and Student Classcraft Kudos to encourage positive talk, express gratitude, look for positives, and share monthly during announcements and homeroom
- Having each student and staff participate in at least one bagging session for Grab and Go's by the end of the school year
- Participating in yearly pull tab collections, recycling drives and other community drives
Future Ready Citizens
- To better facilitate self-advocacy and various communication skills, each student will check their grades and e-mail a screenshot to their parent/guardian and homeroom teacher on Wednesday's during homeroom. They will also answer a brief questionnaire to ensure task completion.
- In accordance with the SEL curriculum we will offer students six booster lessons regarding opportunities to learn about kindness and earn points in Classcraft.
- Students will participate in the Career Development Center Career Day and will explore various trade vocations.
Social-Emotional Well-Being, Growth and Connections
- S-VE will build and celebrate kindness by focusing on the 5 social emotional competencies embedded in our instruction
- Staff will increase the use of social emotional learning vocabulary
- Staff will be provided starting materials for sharing each competency
- We will focus on one competency per marking period and add on a new one
- MP1: Self-Awareness
- MP2: Social Awareness
- MP3: Self-Management
- MP4: Relationship Skills
- MP5: Responsible Decision Making
- MP6: Practice all competencies
- *We will conduct a survey check-in at the end of each marking period to review with staff and students
Elementary School Objectives
- 75% of students in grades K-4 will meet or exceed expected annual growth from fall to spring on the 2021-2022 NWEA Reading and Math MAPS assessments.
- 100% of students and staff will participate in district technology standards.
- S-VE Elementary student attendance will be at or above 90% during the 2021-2022 school year.
- 100% of classrooms will use the Mood Meter as a tool for Social Emotional Learning.
- Football: http://www.waverlyathletics.com/iac-standings/football/
- Field Hockey: http://www.waverlyathletics.com/iac-standings/field-hockey/
- Volleyball: http://www.waverlyathletics.com/iac-standings/volleyball/
- Boys Cross Country: http://www.waverlyathletics.com/iac-standings/boys-xc/
- Girls Cross Country: http://www.waverlyathletics.com/iac-standings/girls-xc/
- Boys Soccer: http://www.waverlyathletics.com/iac-standings/boys-soccer/
- Girls Soccer: http://www.waverlyathletics.com/iac-standings/girls-soccer/
2021-2022 School Year Communications
District Newsletters will remain the same, being mailed out every other month to our community.
September COVID Update
Among all things COVID related, the CDC COVID Tracker is available on our website. Go to: https://www.svecsd.org/coronavirus.cfm
We are Hiring... help us spread the word!
Current positions available include:
- Science Teacher - Middle School (Grant Funded) - 10% signing bonus https://www.olasjobs.org/JobDetails?jobNumber=SPEN0205803-5020
- Science Teacher - High School - 10% signing bonus https://www.olasjobs.org/JobDetails?jobNumber=SPEN0205805-5020
- Special Education Teacher (Grant Funded) - 10% signing bonus https://www.olasjobs.org/JobDetails?jobNumber=SPEN0205809-0070
- Special Education Teacher - 10% signing bonus https://www.olasjobs.org/JobDetails?jobNumber=SPEN0205810-0070
- School Monitors - High School (Grant Funded) https://www.olasjobs.org/JobDetails?jobNumber=SPEN0205813-0000
- Teaching Assistant https://www.olasjobs.org/JobDetails?jobNumber=SPEN0210848-0000
Anyone interested can go to https://www.olasjobs.org/jobs?keyword=®ion=09 to apply or read further about the positions!
Smart Schools Project
In addition to the Summer Learning Academy that addressed academic learning loss, the next phase of this process will include addressing learning gaps through implementing a credit recovery program and peer tutoring. Advisory will take place at all levels to address Social Emotional Learning and Mental Health, and future money will be used to increase intervention services. Through a partnership with Tioga County Department of Health, we are able to utilize retired nurse, Gail Hall, for COVID related requirements, such as Screening Testing and Contact Tracing.
FREE... Yes, FREE!
For the 2021-2022 School Year, 1 FREE Breakfast and 1 FREE Lunch is provided daily to all students! Additional portions are available for a charge.
Menus can be accessed on our website: https://www.svecsd.org/cafeteria.cfm
- October Elementary School Menu: https://www.svecsd.org/uploadeddocs/Oct%202021%20Menu%20ES.pdf
- October Middle School Menu: https://www.svecsd.org/uploadeddocs/Oct%202021%20Menu%20MS.pdf
- October High School Menu: https://www.svecsd.org/uploadeddocs/Oct%202021%20Menu%20HS.pdf
- October Spanish Menu: https://www.svecsd.org/uploadeddocs/Oct%202021%20Menu%20ES%20Spanish.pdf