The Village Insider
Aurora Community School
IMPORTANT SEPTEMBER and OCTOBER DATES
September 24-October 9: Student Count Window (see below for more info)
September 27: NO SCHOOL (PD for Staff)
September 30: Rescheduled Picture Day
October 2: Student Count Day (see below for more info)
October 10: Progress Reports Sent Home
October 11-21: NO SCHOOL (Fall Break)
October 31: Character Day (more info will be sent home)
Reminder: Wednesday is an early release day; school ends at 2 pm! We have a robust after school program everyday (including Wednesday), but it's important that you sign your student up for the programming, so we can get them rostered! If you haven't yet filled this out, please be sure to ASAP!
With that in mind, we are implementing a few incentives, to help everyone get to school on time and everyday!
- Each day a child is on time and present at school, they will receive a raffle ticket. This raffle ticket gives them an opportunity to win a set of prizes (to be determined). We will pull names each Friday!
- Classrooms will be competing for the highest attendance rates, during these two weeks. The winning class will receive a dance party (don't worry: there will be pizza)!
- On October 2nd, we will have an ice cream social.
Long story short: it's important that your little one is at school on time and for the duration of the day! Please work to schedule any appointments before/after school or after October 9!
We appreciate your support with this!
We hosted our first (of many) Community Dinners this past Thursday, and WOW, what a turn out! It was so great to take time to step back and really get to know each other as people. Hopefully you had a wonderful time, eating with your family, chatting with other ACS parents/families, and learning a bit more about your child's classroom.
Because of the turnout and response to the event, we will continue to host these events, about every 2 months! Our next one is on November 22 from 5:30-7:30 pm! Instead of your traditional Thanksgiving meal, we are hosting an International Night. Save the date for now and be on the lookout (next newsletter) for more information about the event!
First Schoolwide Assembly
- 6th graders and primary students were paired together, to create a greater sense of community! Long lasting buddies!
- teachers/staff put on a skit to represent each core value: Passion, Live your Truth, Thirst for Knowledge, Empathy, Continually Improve, Connect to a Greater Whole. Check out Mr. Redding getting deep with a poem about Living your Truth!
- a group of students were recognized for exemplifying the core values; afterwards, they had Pizza with the Principals!
SHOUT OUT to Lowry Bradsen, Yesenia Gallegos, Ariana Reyna Morales, Hadassah Saeed Gay, Nathan Clark, Kaydence Weeks, Khaleia Lawrie, Nehemiah Rampersant, and Jahara Veal!
- we rolled out Kickboard: our system that helps students create goals around the Core Values, allows them to earn "gotcha points" for living the Core Values, and set us up for the next schoolwide incentive: an ice cream social on October 2!
Be sure to check in with your kiddo (and even your teacher) about how they are living the Core Values everyday!
Character Day: October 31
EVERY FAMILY is required to complete a FRL application, so if you haven't please do so IMMEDIATELY. Please click the button above, then "register" to set up an account or simply login with your info from last year and complete the form.