Sunday, October 18, 2020
Mrs. Hladun's Tidings
Halloween is around the corner. I know we were all so excited when we realized that Halloween was on a Saturday this year...but so much has changed! Even though things might be different for your child this year, we want to celebrate Halloween the best we can!
Our PTC is hosting a pumpkin carving contest (with prizes!). See the flier below!
At school, we are going to host a costume dress up day on Friday, 10/30. However, there are some 'rules' that all of our staff and families must abide by to keep it safe for everyone:
- staff and students cannot bring treats, goody bags or items to share with their classmates
- costumes are encouraged as long as they meet our dress code (page 11 here) - please be thoughtful about not wearing overly scary costumes - a reminder that we have kiddos on campus as young as 4 years old!
- COVID protection face coverings (masks) are required
- full face masks (think Iron Man masks) are not appropriate for school, and students will be asked to remove them and wear a COVID protection mask instead
- face makeup and crazy hair is also okay on this special day
- students must be able to use the restroom independently while in their costume
This Week's Most Important Thing - Our Library is Open Online!
- visit the library page at lces.wpusd.org > Students tab > Library subtab
- click on the LCES Library link in Clever
In person learners can check out books online and they'll be delivered to their teacher. interCONNECT learners can check out books online and they'll be left in the office for families to pick up. There is a book drop by the library doors and in front of the office for easy book return.
Mindfulness Corner - Identifying our Feelings
If you are looking for ways to relax before school, during a break, or after school, check out our virtual calming corner and other mindfulness resources plus helpful tips for parents to support their child's anxiety - click here!
During our weekly announcements, we visit the Colt Neighborhood to build our toolkit of resources. Recently, we have been talking about how to pay attention to our feelings. We discussed labeling feelings such as happy, sad, mad, etc. This week we discussed how sensations are the physical feelings inside and outside our body that help us figure out how we are feelings. A great book to help kids understand the difference between sensations and feelings (& how they go together) is Listening To My Body. There is a recorded version of this book below that you can read/watch with your child!
You can check out all of our "Colt Neighborhood" videos on our website anytime - look for the diffused lights (see image to the right) on the main page of our website or click here!
Non-School Days & District Calendar Links
NON-SCHOOL DAYS or SPECIAL DAYS
- CANCELLED - Mon., 11/2: Staff Work Day / WE WILL HAVE SCHOOL on 11/2
- Wed., 11/11: Veteran's Day / no school
- Mon., 11/16-Fri., 11/20: Conference Week (watch for details in late October!)
- Mon., 11/23-Fri., 11/27: Thanksgiving Break / no school
- Mon., 12/21-Mon., 1/4: Winter Break / no school
- Mon., 1/18: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day / no school
- Fri., 2/12-Mon., 2/15: Mini February Break / no school
- Fri., 3/26: Public Safety (PS) Day*
- Mon., 3/29-Fri., 4/2: Spring Break / no school
- Mon., 4/5: Public Safety (PS) Day*
- Mon., 5/31: Memorial Day / no school
- Fri., 6/11: Last Day of School
*Fri., 3/26 and Mon., 4/5 are Public Safety (PS) Days - PS days are non student and non teacher word days unless they are needed as make-up days for prior Public Safety closures (smoke, power outages, etc...)
Stay in Touch!
- Check our our website and our community calendar of activities; access PeachJar (our flier hub) directly here!
- Download our free app and get notifications on your phone
- Follow us on Social Media (links above), including Instagram at @lcescolts
- Check us out on YouTube at http://youtube.com/c/JenniferHladunLCES