The Horseshoe Review
The Copeland PTO Newsletter
President's Corner by Cree Sanford
Our Copeland Colts will be gearing up for Book Fit Read-a-Thon soon! Book Fit is our second major fundraiser for the year. It is a 2-week read-a-thon powered by Boosterthon. We have a goal to raise $20,000 to update our beloved library. It incorporates reading books and raising money for the library. It also includes daily character building traits for our students. Mrs. Buchert is super excited about this fundraiser as she has plans of creating Makerspace’s, new furniture for flex seating, décor, and much more to upgrade our library! The Colts L.E.A.D. Book Fit Bowl will begin on April 24th!!
Do you have some special skills that you use in your everyday life and are ready to share them with Copeland?....We are now accepting nominations from the general membership for those expressing an interest in serving on the 2017-2018 PTO Executive Board. The Nominating Committee will present a slate of officers for election at the April 25th General PTO Meeting. Nominations are currently being accepted for the following available Executive Board positions:
· Cultural Arts – This position is a two-year term. The duties include working with administration to plan and oversee the Copeland field trips and programs brought into the school for the cultural enrichment of the students. Duties also include overseeing several Committee Chairmen, attending Board meeting and assisting the Board as deemed necessary.
· Treasurer- This position is a two-year term. The duties include keeping an accurate record of receipts and expenditures, paying out the funds in accordance with the approved budget as authorized by the Board, presenting a financial statement at every meeting and every general meeting. Duties also include organizing a committee to audit the financial account and attending Board meetings and assisting the Board as deemed necessary.
· Media- This position is a two-year term. The duties include but are not limited to providing an online presence of the happenings of Copeland and the Board via such social media outlets as Facebook, a PTO website, etc., This position will also be responsible for collecting data for our membership and directory.
If you, or anyone you know, would like to be considered for an open position on the PTO Executive Board, please complete a nomination form located in the front office and place it in the box labeled “Nominations”. Nominations will be accepted until April 21st at noon.
If a Board position is NOT the thing for you…. We are also looking for volunteers to fill chairman positions for the 2017-2018 school year. These programs directly benefit our children, teachers, and staff here at Copeland. It is a great way to become involved, have fun, and meet other volunteers. Keep in mind that if the job seems like more than you want to take on yourself, pick a friend and sign up to be co-chairs! Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in any of the positions below.
· Writing Camp for 4th grade – this takes about 3-4 weeks of time right before the 4th graders take the writing portion of the STAAR test. This is typically handled by a 4th grader parent or staff member.
· Clinic Chair– Chairman works with the school nurse to coordinate the vision and hearing screening at the beginning of the year and then assists the school nurse throughout the year with various projects.
· Art Chair- Chairman will assist in hanging up the children’s artwork throughout the school and helping Mrs. Krengel out with any other various activities.
· Science Resource Center Co-Chair-Chairmen work with the staff at the SRC to coordinate grade level field trips and classroom visits and animal demos through the SRC.
Thank you for volunteering to make Copeland such a special school!
As always, thank you so very much for all you do, and if you have any questions at all please feel free to contact me any time at email@example.com.
PTO Executive Board
- President- Cree Sanford 713-304-7016 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cultural Arts- Karen Thomas 832-594-3720 email@example.com
- VIPS Coordinator- Mollianne Murray 7138290638 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Media Coordinator- Nick Gatto 713-203-0681 email@example.com
- Fundraising- Miranda Daniells 713-261-7297 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer- Michael Lee 858-776-4407 email@example.com
- Secretary- Cynthia Miller 832-326-1545 firstname.lastname@example.org
VIPS News by Molli Murray
We are really close to the end of school! But we still need volunteers! We are already on the lookout for HRCs next year. If you are interested, please let me know so I can contact you at the beginning of next year. However, this year is still going! There are still more STAAR events, field days, and much more! We will be doing Teacher Appreciation week the first week of May. Please keep an eye on your inbox for letters from your HRC. If you want to volunteer, but aren’t sure where to start, please get in touch with me!
Also, here is a link to volunteer at spirit cart which will finish out the year!
Please pay attention to the month and time for which you are signing up.
Please make sure if you sign up you are able to come, or change if you can’t. We are depending on you if you sign up! J
Don’t forget to log your hours!!
If you haven't registered before go to this link (takes about a week to get login):
And then this one to log:
If you have any questions or comments regarding our VIPS program or would like to volunteer, please contact me at 713-829-0638 or email@example.com.
This is the registration form you will be asked to fill out when you register.
Fundraising by Miranda Daniells
We cannot wait for this semester’s read-a-thon fundraiser, the Copeland Colts BookFit Bowl! This 9-day program kicks off on April 24th. Throughout the program, students will read each day, at home and at school, to complete 30-35 “Reading Challenges” while also getting pledges to help our school. Students can receive pledges for each Reading Challenge from friends and family across the country and around the world.
Our goal is to raise $20,000 for updating the library, so we asked the fundraising experts at Boosterthon to power our BookFit Bowl, making our fundraiser simpler, more profitable, and more fun. Their high-energy team will be on campus each day encouraging your students to develop a love of reading through the BookFit character content.
Finally, we’ll celebrate with the BookFit Bowl on May 3rd. It’s a fun trivia game show where teachers pick the questions (based on current classroom content) and students dominate the answers. You’re invited to come and cheer on your amazing student!
Remember, all pledges fund our beloved Copeland library and the entire 9-day experience. Please help our school by reaching out to friends and family!
Thank you for supporting our school!
Spirit Shirts by Amanda Ball
Want to show that Copeland pride? There were a few extra spirit shirts & hoodies ordered so get your order in soon if you would like one. You can print the order forms here, http://www.copelandpto.org/spirit-wear.