Thursday, Sept. 2, 2021
In The Spotlight
The Countdown Continues ...
THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL IS WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 8:
That's when grades K-5, 7 and 9 return
Students in grades 6, 8 and 10-12 join in on Thursday, Sept. 9.
Pre-school starts Sept. 8 and HEAD START (full day) begins Sept. 13.
Manchester Adult and Continuing Education classes also begin Sept. 8.
Click here for the full-year calendar.
THE BIG NEWS
- Remote Learning: The state has decreed that instruction must be in-person except in cases involving quarantine.
- Masks: The state also is requiring that masks be worn in schools by all students, staff and visitors through Sept. 30.
- Visitors: Will be allowed again with masks required and names, dates and locations recorded in the event contact tracing becomes necessary.
- Sports: Fall sports are back as usual except masks must be worn indoors.
LET’s Talk: Latasha Easterling-Turnquest, the district’s Chief of Family Partnership & Student Engagement, is sharing reminders related to attendance as well as general town happenings and you can see her latest video here.
Adult Ed: Classes begin Sept. 8 and the new department website has all the information you need. Also, you can check out this enrollment information (and here’s a Spanish version). And the latest department newsletter is here.
Before- and After-school Programming: It’s offered in partnership with MELC (the Manchester Early Learning Center) at Bennet / Bowers / Buckley / Highland / Keeney / Martin / Odyssey / Verplanck and Waddell and online registration is ongoing. Click here for information.
Manchester Energy Efficiency Series
Sean met Shaq a week ago in Las Vegas at an event at the Encore Beach Club, where DJ Diesel (Shaq’s stage name) sometimes performs. Both men work with DJ Lazy K, who also works for Shaqfu Radio. Sean, whose second album, called Go! Mode, is coming out today at LiveMixTapes.com, is the father of two current MPS students and if you want to see what he looks like standing next to Shaq, click here.
Friday was all about peaches at the Eighth District Firehouse and Saturday featured music and more at Purnell Place. That's Manchester-based band Johnny Mainstream, one of 12 music acts that played the Silk City Fest.
- The Courant is looking ahead to Steampunk events,
- Check out the Manchester Historical Society’s most recent newsletter.
- Better Manchester is looking ahead to fall.
- Read the latest Manchester Matters here.
The Week Ahead:
Thursday, Sept. 2
Saturday, Sept. 4
Wednesday, Sept. 8
First day of school for Pre-K, K-4, grades 5, 7 and 9.
4:30 - 7:30 p.m. -- Farmer’s Market at Northwest Park.
- Town offices and libraries are closed on Monday for the Labor Day holiday.