Lincoln Crossing Colt Connection
February 10, 2019
Mrs. Hladun's Tidings
This week is a short week - we hope you have big plans for our looooong weekend! There will be NO SCHOOL on Thursday, 2/14-Monday, 2/18. School resumes on Tuesday, 2/19.
I was reminded by one of our families (thanks Sam J.!) about a wonderful tool you can use to evaluate the movies, tv shows, books, video games, and apps that your child may want to play and that they insist everyone else is playing/reading/watching (sound familiar???). Common Sense Media is available on line and has a nice mobile interface - you an check out reviews, get age ratings, and familiarize your self with how much exposure the media gives to things like violence, language, drugs, alcohol, 'sexy stuff,' role models, and more. Check it out!
Our PTC has been just amazing this year - this dedicated group of working moms have kept up with our Colt traditions and have brought in some new ones! We are so grateful for their service and support. PTC is looking for spring book fair chair (the fair is in late May) and we are starting to look for new PTC board members for 2019-20 - to get involved, contact the PTC at email@example.com
New Student Registration (including TK & K) for 2019-20 School Year
New student registration for the 2019-20 year has begun! This is especially important for Transitional Kinder (TK) and Kinder (K) programs, which traditionally fill up quickly at LCES. Please share this information with your friends and neighbors with new TK/K students!
There are three parts to registration:
1. online registration forms must be completed (click the link below on/after 2/1);
2: documentation must be gathered (click the link below for details on what to bring);
3a. NEW FAMILIES: all paperwork must be turned into the LCES school office (we start taking registrations at 7 am on Mon., 2/11/19).
3b. CURRENT/RETURNING LCES FAMILY: if you are a current LCES family (or you have an older child who attended LCES), your turn in deadline will be Friday, 3/1/19 at 4 pm.
Current LCES TK families who have older siblings at LCES fall into 3b above. LCES TK families who do not have older siblings at LCES fall into 3a above.
Our TK class will be filled using a lottery system (held in early March), so the exact order in which you turn in your registration materials does not impact your chances of getting into our class, but you'll want to get your forms in during February so that you don't miss the deadline for the lottery.
UPDATE ABOUT TK Birthdays (new info as of 2/1):
Only children who's birthdays are on or between September 2 and December 31 are guaranteed a spot in Transitional Kindergarten. In addition, children turning 5 yrs old on or between January 1 and June 5 of 2020 may have an opportunity to attend a Transitional Kindergarten Class starting in August of the 2019-2020 school year. This depends on space available in the class. If your child turns 5 during those dates, you are encouraged to go to the WPUSD website and follow the directions to register your child and turn in your packet at the school office. Please note that registering your child does not guarantee a spot in a Transitional Kindergarten class unless they will be five on or between Sept 2 and Dec 31. If you have registered your child, we will notify you as soon as possible if there is space for your child in a Transitional Kindergarten class.
Where to get forms, links & more information:
Academic Talent Search ATS Testing 2/25/2019
Taking the test automatically qualifies you to participate in ATS. The test will take a little more than an hour.
Here are the steps to participate:
1. Return the form by Tuesday February 19, 2019 we need these a week ahead so we can get the appropriate number of testing materials.
2. Have your student bring the $20.00 testing fee THE DAY OF THE TEST (cash, check or money order payable to ATS).
If you are unable to attend the testing date there are other dates offered at Sacramento State and are listed on the note sent home.
Please contact Assistant Principal Kristen Beck with any questions by calling the school.
School Safety Update
As you may know, we have one barracuda on each classroom door at this time, thanks to a generous donation made by Summit Church. We are in need of more in order to provide support for each classroom door and other teaching/student spaces.
Barracudas (video here - do not show while your children are in the area) range in price based on the style of door. Devices that support inward swinging doors cost about $160/unit, outwards swinging doors cost about $142/unit and scissor closure door devices cost about $71). There is also some shipping cost associated with the units. I have reached out to the production company to see about getting a better cost/unit, and I should have that information in the coming weeks. I expect we'll need to make a purchase of about 50 items - 40 that are for in/outward swinging doors, and about 10 for scissor closure doors. The estimated expense would be upwards of $8000.
This is a sizable cost, and may require the support of our PTC, families, our site budget, as well as patience - this may be a multi-year project.
Several families have expressed interest in making a donation to the school to help us cover the costs of these devices. If so, the best way to do that is to write a check made out to LCES. We will put the funds in an account for this purpose, and work with the company to secure the best pricing and place the order. If you make a donation, we will certainly keep you apprised of our progress along the way.
We have several other safety projects we are simultaneously exploring and working on, including more cameras along the back of the school, a possible change to the exterior gates/fencing on campus, training for staff, and partnership with our local law enforcement on drills. Please watch this newsletter, as we'll continue to share our progress with you here.
StarStruck is Here!
Week of February 11th:
- Mon., 2/11, 7 am: Office will begin taking TK and K registration paperwork for 2019-20 year
- Mon., 2/11: Early Release Day
- Mon., 2/11, 1-1:40 pm: Leadership Ambassador Council Meeting
- Mon., 2/11, 1:45-2:40 pm: Choir Rehearsal
- Tues., 2/12, 10:05-10:20 am: All Leadership Ambassador Meeting
- Tues., 2/12, lunchtime: Leadership Ambassador Action Team Meetings (Beautification & Kindness)
- Tues., 2/12, 2:45-4 pm: Song Writers Workshop #1 - see details above or click here
- Tues., 2/12, 2:45 pm-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 2nd graders - CANCELLED
- Wed., 2/13, lunchtime: Leadership Ambassador Action Team Meetings (Cares)
- Wed., 2/13, 2:45-3:45 pm: Peter Pan, Jr. Ensemble Rehearsal; Music Room
- Wed., 2/6, 2:45-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 1st (CANCELLED), 4th and 5th graders
- Thursday, 2/14 - Monday, 2/18 - No School
Week of February 18th:
- Mon., 2/18: No School
- Tues., 2/18, lunchtime: Leadership Ambassador Action Team Meetings (Beautification & Kindness)
- Tues., 2/18 2:45 pm-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 2nd graders
- Wed., 2/20: Box Tops Due
- Wed., 2/20, lunchtime: Leadership Ambassador Action Team Meetings (Cares)
- Wed., 2/20, 2:45-3:45 pm: Peter Pan, Jr. Ensemble Rehearsal; Music Room
- Wed., 2/20, 2:45-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 1st, 4th and 5th graders
- Thurs., 2/21, 12:30-1:20 pm: Leadership Ambassador Council Meeting
- Thurs., 2/21, 2:45-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 4th and 5th graders
- Thurs., 2/21, 5:30-6:30 pm: Math Night!
- Fri., 2/22: End of 2nd Trimester (report cards go home on 3/8)
- Fri., 2/22: Colt Pride Day
- Fri., 2/22, 2-3:30 pm: Peter Pan, Jr. Ensemble & Cast Rehearsal, MPR Stage
Week of February 25th:
- Week of 2/25: Read Across America Week
- Mon., 2/25: Early Release Day
- Mon., 2/25 1-1:40 pm: Leadership Ambassador Council Meeting
- Mon., 2/25, 1:45-2:40 pm: Choir Rehearsal
- Mon., 2/25, 2-3 pm: Optional Academic Talent Search Assessment given
- Tues., 2/26, lunchtime: Leadership Ambassador Action Team Meetings (Beautification & Kindness)
- Tues., 2/26, 2:45-3:45 pm: Song Writers Workshop #2
- Tues., 2/26, 2:45 pm-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 2nd graders
- Wed., 2/27, lunchtime: Leadership Ambassador Action Team Meetings (Cares)
- Wed., 2/27, 2:45-3:45 pm: Peter Pan, Jr. Ensemble Rehearsal; Music Room
- Wed., 2/27, 2:45-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 1st, 4th and 5th graders
- Wed., 2/27, 5-9 pm: PTC Panda Express Dine Out
- Wed., 2/27, 6 pm, 7 pm: Star Struck (see details above)
- Thurs., 2/28, 12:50-1:20 pm, Music Room: Peter Pan, Jr. Choir Rehearsal
- Thurs., 2/28, 2:45-3:45 pm: Math Tutoring for invited 4th and 5th graders
- Thurs., 2/28, 6 pm, 7 pm: Star Struck (see details above)
- Fri., 3/1: Colt Pride Day
- Fri., 3/1, 2-3:30 pm: Peter Pan, Jr. Ensemble & Cast Rehearsal, MPR Stage
- Fri., 3/1, 4 pm: Last opportunity for current LCES families to submit K registration and have their K spot guarenteed
- Sat., 3/2, 6 pm: Boots and Bling Sweetheart Dance
Preview of Week of March 4th:
- week of 3/4 and 3/11: APEX Fun Run!
- Tues., 3/5, 5 pm: PTC Meeting
- Fri., 3/8: Trimester 2 Report Cards sent home
*all Leadership, Musical Theater, and Choir program details are on Mrs. Adam's website or click the link below.
Upcoming Non School Days & Early Release Days - Winter/Spring 2019
- Thursday, 2/14-Monday, 2/18: President's Day Break (School Resumes on Tuesday, 2/19)
- Saturday, 4/13-Monday, 4/22: Spring Break (School Resumes on Tuesday, 4/23)
- Monday, 5/27: Memorial Day
- Week of June 3rd-June 7th: Early Release Days (1:40 Release)
- Saturday, 6/8 - Wednesday, 8/14: Summer Break (School Starts on Thursday, 8/15)
Visit our website for the most updated schedules for our Leadership Ambassador Program, including the greeter schedule!
Click for more information about school meal pricing and breakfast and lunch menus. You can also access My School Bucks to add to your child's lunch balance and submit an online application for free/reduced meals.
Click to view a map that identifies appropriate drop off/pick up areas and parking areas. It is much less congested between between 7:50-8:00 am and again between 2:50-3 pm. Supervision is provided at 7:55 am and until 3 pm (2 on ER days).
The district has approved and published 2 years of school calendars! Click for details!