Peirce School Family Newsletter
As we start a new year, I want to welcome back all of our students, families and staff members. Happy New Year to all of you! I hope that like me, you enjoyed much needed rest and relaxation during the final weeks of 2017 and that you can make family time a commitment during 2018. We live in a time where we are overly scheduled (children and adults alike). Our children are only young for so long and I encourage you to spend as much quality time with them now, while they are young and in your home. Play a board game, take a walk, sled, read a book together, travel, whatever it is that your family enjoys doing together - make the time to do it.
During the break, I had the opportunity to watch the movie "Wonder" based off of the book by R.J.Palacio and if you have not seen the movie or read the book, I highly recommend them. There were several quotes that resonated with me and I wanted to share them with you for reflection, please share these with your children as well.
“When given the choice between being right or being kind choose kind.”
“Kinder than is necessary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed."
“The best way to measure how much you've grown isn't by inches or the number of laps you can now run around the track, or even your grade point average-- though those things are important, to be sure. It's what you've done with your time, how you've chosen to spend your days, and whom you've touched this year. That, to me, is the greatest measure of success.”
Below are a few highlights from the month of December:
- Thank you to the Peirce Service Organization & All Peirce Parents and community members who helped celebrate Peirce staff before the winter break with a delightful breakfast along with many gifts and notes of thanks and appreciation - we appreciate all that you do to recognize the Peirce team!
- Peirce's arts education opportunities continue to thrive - December was a busy performance month! 5th Grade Musical, Storytelling Session for students, 4th Grade Barrel of Monkeys, 48th Ward Winter Showcase, Peirce Winter Show & the Peirce & Decatur bands all showed off their talents. We look forward to the arts programs that will showcase their work during 2018!
- 8th grade students visited Senn High School and before winter break submitted all high school applications - stay tuned for where our graduates will attend next year!
- 6 students were awarded full scholarships and 6 students were awarded partial scholarships to attend the 7th & 8th grade trip to Washington D.C.! We are halfway to our fundraising goal and additional donations can be made by either writing a check to Peirce School or making an online donation to Friends of Peirce here.
- Thank you to Edge of Sweetness for hosting a Peirce Day on December 8th, a portion of all sales were donated back to Peirce!
- We had a few parent workshops - Ms. Kolontouros (Case Manager) hosted a workshop for parents on our Special Education program with a focus on inclusion and co-teaching. Ms. Lebovitz held a session for 5th grade parents on the 5th grade exhibition & Ms. Fisher & The PK team hosted a workshop for parents on developing student independence.
- MAP Testing finished before winter break - we have a few students who need to complete make up testing once we return from break. Middle of the year reports will go home with 2nd quarter report cards.
Warmest Wishes in 2018!
School Improvement Planning - Parent Focus Groups
A focus group for parents will be held on January 12th during the Coffee with the Principal in the fieldhouse at 8:15am by the school administration. Several other Peirce parents will be hosting focus groups to gather parent input. If you are interested in leading a focus group, please reach out to Principal Zaimi at LZaimi@cps.edu and information and guidance will be provided.
Donate to the 7th & 8th Grade trip to Washington D.C.
Cold Weather Days
School Security Protocols
In addition, if you are in need of scheduling an appointment with a staff member, you can do so through email or by calling the main office at 773-534-2440. Teachers and administration are often unable to meet with parents without a meeting that has been scheduled in advance.
Jan 9 - Friends of Peirce Meeting, 6:30pm, Fieldhouse
Jan 11 - Spelling Bee, 8:30am 1st/2nd, 10:00am 3rd-5th, 1:30pm 6th-8th
Jan 12 - Coffee with the Principal/School Improvement Planning Focus Group (PAC/BAC Mtg)
Jan 15 - No School
Jan 17 - Student of the Month, 8:15am, Gymnatorium
Jan 18 - Local School Council Meeting, 6:00pm, Gymnatorium
Jan 19 - Peirce Service Organization Meeting, 8:00am, Fieldhouse
Jan 22-26 Great Kindness Challenge Week
Jan 23 - 8th Grade Graduation Pictures
Jan 23 - Box Tops Collected
Jan 24 - Sexual Health Information Session, 8:10am, Library
Jan 24 - Papa Johns Fundraiser
Jan 25 - Papa Johns Fundraiser
Jan 25 - International Dance Night
Jan 26 - Restorative Approaches to Discipline Parent Workshop, 8:15am
Feb 2 - No School, Teacher Professional Development Day
Feb 8 & 9 - 6th Grade Indiana Dunes Overnight Trip
Feb 9 - Report Cards Distributed
Feb 9 - Learning Celebrations
Feb 9 - PAC/BAC Meeting, 8:15am, Fieldhouse
Feb 9 - PSO Sponsored Valentine's Day Dance, 5pm
Feb 13 - Friends of Peirce Meeting, 6:30pm, Fieldhouse
Feb 14 - Student of the Month Ceremony, 8:15am
Feb 15 - Local School Council Meeting, 6:00pm, Gymnatorium
Feb 16 - 100th Day of School Kindergarten Celebrations
Feb 16 - Peirce Service Organization Meeting, 8:00am, Fieldhouse
Feb 19 - No School, President's Day
Feb 24 - Chinese New Year Parade on Argyle Street, 2:00pm
Mar 1 - African American Showcase (Parent Performances), Time TBA