The Voice of Raleigh Park - February 20, 2019
Our knowledge and experiences inspire action that supports community needs.
A sci-fi comedy* released in the late '80's (for those of you old enough to remember) referred to a progression of speed for a spacecraft from LIGHT --> RIDICULOUS --> LUDICROUS. While not in the same context, the speed of time is not any slower. Perhaps a function of both age and the nature of this job, my conceptualization of time is now as fast as my metabolism is slow. With March right around the corner, school years that once seemed like an eternity are flying by with the blink of an eye!
I know some time has passed, but since our last newsletter, this is a reminder that report cards went home with your students on February 4. If you have not yet seen it, please check (in order):
- your student's backpack
- under the seats of your car
- under your student's bed
- the recycle/garbage bin
- the dog's food dish
- the cat's litter box
- with your student's teacher
Included was a document created by the Beaverton School District explaining the finer points of the report card and how to best understand the marks therein. You can also find this document HERE.
If you are able to carve out a little bit of your day, the Raleigh Park Healthy Heart Challenge is tomorrow (Thursday, 2/21). Students have been working hard on their fitness routines and learning about what makes jumping rope such a heart-healthy choice! Grades K-3 will participate throughout the school day, Grade 4 will hold a performance from 5:30-6:10p, and Grade 5 from 6:30-7:10p. Hope to see you there!
*I will draw one name from a hat (this Friday afternoon) of those Raleigh Park parents who can name the sci-fi movie referenced above AND include the speed (or state of being) that followed "Ludicrous". Simply email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your answers. A $5 Starbucks gift card is at stake!
The Spring Auction Fundraiser Needs YOU!
Raleigh Park will celebrate it's 60th "Diamond Jubilee" Anniversary in style, with our annual Spring Auction Fundraiser. There are more details to come, but in the mean time, our planning committee is working hard. They are currently seeking:
- PARTIES! - Yes...an opportunity to get some friends together and host a party!
- KID EXPERIENCES – Please let us know if you, or someone you know, would like to host an art or craft class, teach a skill, give a tour, take a day hike, a fishing trip, host a cooking class, a science based activity, etc.
- ITEMS, SKILLS OR ? – If you have an item, or a skill (are you a chef? a house painter? landscape designer?), or other auction item suggestions, we welcome them!
Please contact Kristina Perry or Jessica Wilde (email@example.com) if interested and able to "donate" any of the aforementioned experiences.
SAVE THE DATE!
Over the last two years, early release Wednesday's have provided an invaluable opportunity for Raleigh Park staff, and staff throughout the Beaverton School District, to use this time for the purposes of collaboration. Early release Wednesday's have also led to an increase in instructional days by eliminating most of the former "inservice" days throughout the year. This results in greater instructional continuity for students.
The first Wednesday of each month is for building-facilitated collaboration, in which we come together as a staff around specific goals and learning. The remaining Wednesday's are used at a staff member's discretion, to collaborate with their team, or others within or outside Raleigh Park.
Collectively, we spent February 6 working with Mrs. Piersma and Mrs. Laird to explore conferring and assessment strategies in the math workshop
Grade levels have recently spent time engaged in the following:
Kindergarten - Learning about inquiry approaches and writing with young learners, sharing observations from PYP classes in other schools, examine student work for the purposes of calibrating scoring and reporting criteria on the report card
First - Collaborating with reading intervention specialists, prepare and draft communication around upcoming health lessons, discussed report cards, plan for PYP Unit "History Shapers"
Second - Plan and pull components around next (2) units in math
Third - Discuss assessments and calibrate understanding of "proficiency" in different areas, plan PYP Unit around "perspectives" with focus on transdisciplinary opportunities, prepare upcoming health lessons
Fourth - Participate in variety of Week 3 professional development opportunities, set up BOSE speaker build lesson, discuss plan around future field trips and report cards, plan and schedule around upcoming health lessons
Fifth - Discuss report cards, collaborate around upcoming math unit and align with PYP Unit of Inquiry, discuss book orders, review and create scope and sequence rooted in SBAC sample tests, reflect upon and discuss assessments for How We Express Ourselves Unit of Inquiry
Seen & Heard
Food Drive: 1st Grade Taking Action
A "Tech Playground": Teachers using Wednesday collaboration time to gain better understanding of the technology tools that teach students to code
We had a GREAT Global School Play Day!
Love abounds! Happy belated Valentine's Day...
Annual Asbestos Notification/Notificacion Anual Sobre Asbesto
Included below is the annual asbestos notification letter regarding abatement done in 2018 (in both English and Spanish). The Beaverton School District is required by the Asbestos Hazard Emergency Act (AHERA) to send this notification annually to staff and families of children in our buildings that have asbestos-containing building materials (ACBM).
SPREAD THE WORD: Kindergarten "Round up" Orientation
Wednesday, April 10th, 9-10:15am
3670 Southwest 78th Avenue Portland, OR
SAVE THE DATE(S): Spring Conferences
Wednesday, April 17th, 4pm to Thursday, April 18th, 8pm
3670 Southwest 78th Avenue Portland, OR
DATES TO REMEMBER...
- 21 - Healthy Heart Challenge (Grades K-3 during PE classes, Gr 4 5:30-6:10p, Gr 5 6:30-7:10p)
- 22 - RPTV
- 25 - Mar. 1 - Spring Play Practice
- 27 - Passport Club, 8:00a
- 27 - Early Release, 1:30p
- 28 - 3rd Grade Art Day @ ACMA, 9:15a
- 28 - 5th Grade OMSI Presentation, 12:50p
- 2 - Spring Play
- 6 - Early Release, 1:30p
- 7 - Community Meeting, 8:40a
- 7 - Cedar Park and Whitford Fly-Ups, 9:00a
- 12 - PTO Meeting, 7:00p
- 13 - Early Release, 1:30p
- 14 - 5th Gr. Music Program, 6:30p
- 20 - Passport Club, 8:00a
- 20 - Early Release, 1:30p
- 22 - RPTV
- 25 - 29 - SPRING BREAK - NO SCHOOL
- 3 - Early Release, 1:30p
- 4 - Community Meeting, 8:40a
- 4 - Raleigh Park Future Ready STEAM Night, 6:00p
- 5 - NO SCHOOL, Grading Day
- 9 - PTO Meeting, 8:30a
- 10 - Kindergarten Orientation, 9:00a
- 10 - Early Release, 1:30p
- 17 - Early Release, 1:30p
- 17 - Parent/Teacher Conferences, 4:00 - 8:00p
- 18 - NO SCHOOL, Parent/Teacher Conferences
- 19 - NO SCHOOL
- 24 - Passport Club, 8:00a
- 24 - Early Release, 1:30p
- 26 - RPTV
- 27 - Raleigh Park Diamond Jubilee @ Embassy Suites, 6:00p
- 30 - 4th Grade to Bonneville Dam, 8:45a - 2:30p