What plagiarism is and how to avoid it?
What is plagiarism
- Plagiarism is quoting or paraphrasing material without citing the source.
- buying a paper online and downloading is also plagiarism
- and turning in the the same paper more than once is plagiarism
- How to avoid it?
- Paraphrasing helps a lot if you like there ideas
- and if you do take something JUST MAKE sure CITE THE SOURCE
What is a MLA Citation?
- double spaces
- indent the second and subsequent lines
- and list the page of source efficiently
You use this citation when writing papers and citing within the liberal art and humanities.
The difference between quoting, paraphrasing, and summarizing
- Quoting- must be identical to the original, using a narrow segment of the source. They must be attributed to the original author.
- Paraphrasing- involves putting a passage from source materiel into your own words. Paraphrased material is usually shorter than the original passage.
- Summarizing- Involves putting the main idea(s) into your own words, including only the main point(s). Summaries are short and are just and overview.
How to decide whether a website or resource is credible and accurate
edu- means web and is used for educational associations
.org- means non-profitable association
.net- mean a network used for business
.gov- means government webpage
How to use search terms (keywords) effectively in finding information
- searching library catalogs
- article databases
- web search engines
- and book indexes
You must first start with an effective research question. Then it is easy to identify the keywords in the question.
How to gather relevant information from print (hard copy) or digital sources
- Go to Lakeview Middle School Homepage
- About our school
- Media Center Tab
- Research Tab
- General/Primary Source Tab
- Mid-Continet Tab
- go to WWW.mymcpl.org
- click on online information
- click onresearch databases
- Homework Help for Teens or Homework help for kids
- use card number#20005001149413