October 25, 2018
Roosevelt Weekly Parent Info
Hello to all Roosevelt families! A few reminders for the week:
• Coffee with the Principal: Drop your children off at school, and come for a cup of coffee at Cub Foods West from 7:30-8:30 on Friday, October 26. This is simply an opportunity to connect with the school in another way.
• Teachers ROCK: Do you have an example of something a Roosevelt staff member did that rocked?? If so, share it with me in an email (email@example.com), and I'll share it at our All Staff meeting on November 1. Thank you!
• Safety at drop-off/pick-up: We are having many, many issues with safety at pick-up and drop-off times at Roosevelt. I do not want any Roosevelt Raccoon to get hurt, and I am very worried that this could happen. Here are the biggest issues, and things that must be fixed for the safety of all. These things include:
~ Never, never, never drop off a student on the other side of the street. Drop-off MUST occur curbside. Please take the time to turn around and drop students off on the curb. NO EXCEPTIONS!! If you decide to park on the opposite side of the curb, please get out of your car with your child and use the crosswalks to cross the street.
~ Please do NOT double park your car during pick-up or drop-off time.
~ Please do NOT make U-turns in the middle of the street. Go around the block if you wish to turn around.
~ Please use crosswalks to cross the street and avoid parking in the crosswalks.
I often have parents who get frustrated by this, or can get upset with me when I talk to them about these issues. That said, the safety of students absolutely must be priority #1. Safety is, at times, inconvenient, but it's important and changes must be made. Please take the time to take this information to heart and make these much-needed changes.
• BOX TOPS: Did you know that box tops expire? And can only be submitted twice a year? We currently have about $250 worth of Box Tops collected. Wouldn't it be awesome to try and double that by the first submission deadline of November 1st? Please in all Box Tops ASAP to try and reach $500 before November 1st. Thanks so much! The Roosevelt PTO.
• Rocky Time: We are still working on what respect looks like, especially as it relates to saying OKAY and doing it right away. Your support and reinforcement of this concept is needed and appreciated!
• Conference Sign-Up: Be looking for this next week. The sign-up will go LIVE on Friday, November 2. Be looking for an email. Conferences will be held November 13, 15 & 19.
• Family Day at the National Association for Gifted Children: There is an amazing opportunity in the Twin Cities on November 17. The National Association for Gifted Children is hosting their annual conference in Minneapolis this year. The are hosting a Family Day on Saturday, November 17. There is a cost for this event, BUT it's very reasonable and it looks amazing. Register here. I have heard it fills quickly, so don't delay.
• PTO Minutes: Here are the minutes from the October PTO meeting. Also, here's a quick summary of the highlights:
Walk-A-Thon - Thank you to all the participants of the walk-a-thon, 5th grade leaders, and volunteers. The flow of traffic was very streamlined this year, and we were thrilled to use the trail.
Thomas’ Tree and Landscaping has planted a tree in place of the one that passed away on the north side of school grounds. This tree is planted in honor of a former Roosevelt student from Mrs. Koble’s class who passed.
Conferences are right around the corner and the PTO will be covering teacher meals again this year. If you’d like to contribute to these meals, look for a flyer to come home in your child’s communicator in the coming weeks. Join us for the next PTO meeting November 13th in the Art Room!
Have a great weekend, Raccoons!!
Student Council Elections
A shoutout to the BRAVE and COURAGEOUS fourth and fifth graders who ran for student council offices and gave speeches in front of their peers! You are all winners!!!!
Crafts for Hillcrest Residents
Roosevelt Raccoons made small Halloween gift baskets for the residents at Hillcrest. Way to go, Raccoons!
Lunch with the Principal & President
Shoutout to Zoe for winning Lunch with the Principal. She brought her two friends with her. It was also special because I got to eat Lunch with the President, as Zoe was recently elected the Roosevelt Student Council President. Keep reading, Raccoons!