Davis/Martin Weekly Update
May 2 - 6
Can you believe we've made it to our last month of the school year? Time seems to have flown by! With that being said, we do still have 4 weeks left. We will be busy conducting end-of-the-year assessments and tying up loose ends with our 5th grade curriculum. We want to make sure our students are ready for middle school and 6th grade!
*The 4th quarter requirement of 4 chapter books read and tested on must be completed by Friday, May 13th.*
Some important events coming up to keep in mind (please check out the full list at the end of the newsletter):
- Girls Club will be hosting our faculty appreciation reception on Tuesday. Members must bring $1 to participate. Also, please remember to bring your salty or sweet snack if you signed up. Our Girls Club field trip will be this Friday. The cost is $13. If you have not returned the permission slip and/or money, you have until Thursday to do so.
- Monday, May 9th, we will be taking our field trip to JA Biztown. Remember, this trip gets back around 4:30 p.m., so after-school transportation must be provided.
Mrs. Davis & Mrs. Martin
IN READING & SOCIAL STUDIES:
- We will review multiple reading skills using our Time For Kids magazines.
- Students will write their D.A.R.E. essays for graduation from the program.
- We will continue working on our JA Biztown curriculum in preparation for our visit.
- Vocabulary: disheveled, pandemonium, terminate, pungent
- Read Aloud: Storyteller written by Patricia Reilly Giff
IN MATH & SCIENCE:
- Science: We will go back to studying the solar system.
- Math: We will continue to learn about Geometry this week.
- We have implemented a new web-based curriculum called MobyMax in our classrooms. MobyMax is tailored to your child's individual needs, and we think you will be very impressed by how fast your child will excel while using Moby. Students will be responsible for logging in practice time. Students need to complete 1 round of Fact Fluency (unless they have 100% in all four categories) and 10 minutes of Individualized Math Lessons. The students might want to set a timer.
- Students can continue to work on Khan Academy and Front Row Math.
- Weekly Reading Log: 20 minutes of reading, 5 nights per week, DUE MONDAYS (this is averaged into your child's reading grade)
- Weekly MobyMax Log: 1 round of Fact Fluency and at least 10 minutes of Math, 5 nights per week, DUE MONDAYS (this is averaged into your child's math grade)
- Weekly Vocabulary Page: This will go home every Tuesday, and needs to be completed and returned every Wednesday
- Students will most always have math homework every night through the week, Fridays and weekends off.
Mon. May 2: D.A.R.E. Pie Throw and Raider of the Month Luncheon
Tues. May 3: Faculty Appreciation Reception (sponsored by Girls Club)
Thurs. May 5: PBIS Store open for students
Fri. May 6: 5th Grade Girls Club Field Trip
Mon. May 9: Junior Achievement Field Trip
Wed. May 11: Color Run Celebration (3 demerits or less)
Fri. May 13: Luau - Ticketed Event
Mon. May 16: 5th Grade Boys Club Field Trip
Tues. May 17: Talent Show Rehearsal / D.A.R.E. Graduation
Wed. May 18: Talent Show
Thurs. May 19: 5th Grade Awards Assembly (10:00 a.m.)
Fri. May 20th: 5th Grade Reward Trip - Wild River Country
Thurs. May 26: Last Day of School (dismiss @ 10:30 a.m.)