Summer Home-School Connection
Week of August 9, 2021
Important Message About: Northside Reunited Safely
Northside ISD will begin the 2021-2022 school year with students returning to in-person instruction on Monday, Aug. 23. We look forward to the first day of school with genuine excitement about students and staff returning to classrooms, but also with a sincere commitment to ensuring student and staff safety and well-being.
NISD will continue to consult with and review the guidance issued by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) as well as local, state and national public health officials. Additionally, any order issued by the governor’s office will be followed. Due to changing metrics and health trends, we anticipate possible changes and revisions to our operating procedures as the school year progresses. Updates will be provided as protocols can safely be changed. The following is a list of general guidelines to start our school year:
- Masks are highly encouraged while indoors at all district facilities, schools, and school buses for all students, employees, and visitors. However, as directed by the Governor's Executive Order issued May 18, 2021, facemasks cannot be mandated.
- Routine and frequent cleaning and disinfecting will continue at all district facilities including on school buses.
- Frequent handwashing will be encouraged. Hand sanitizer will be made available for all students and staff.
- Staff, students, and visitors are encouraged to practice physical distancing when possible.
- COVID-19 testing will continue to be offered at NISD campuses for symptomatic individuals with parent consent.
- Contact tracing will occur as necessary at all district campuses and buildings. Students and staff will likely not be required to quarantine if they have been fully vaccinated or, potentially, were wearing a mask when the close contact occurred.
- In the event of a positive COVID-19 case, communication will be provided to families in a manner deemed appropriate by the campus principal and/or the Director of Health Services while protecting the confidentiality of individuals and their healthcare information. At the elementary level, notification will likely be provided to class or grade level groups. At the secondary level where contact tracing will potentially be more difficult, notification will be made to individuals with a known exposure.
- NISD is working with various vaccine providers to schedule voluntary vaccination clinics to provide the COVID-19 and other vaccines to students, employees, and community members who elect to receive them. Many campuses will be hosting vaccine providers at their back-to-school events.
- Remote/Virtual learning will be provided only to qualifying elementary students who completed the application process in the spring. This option is not available to secondary students nor is it available for any additional elementary students. Families with students who cannot physically attend in-person due to a medical condition, including a precautionary quarantine, are encouraged to apply for homebound and/or other support services.
NISD is committed to addressing the health, safety, and instructional needs of all our students. We will be responsive to the social and emotional needs of students, staff, and families by providing access to personnel such as professional school counselors.
More detailed, campus-specific information will be provided closer to the first day of school. For questions, you may contact your child’s campus.
2021-2022 Student Devices
Northside has worked to procure and prepare devices for students in the district. To that end, your child(ren) will be provided a device because of an identified unmet technology need and to ensure success in the classroom.
The Northside device is being assigned to your child so he/she can continue their digital learning while participating in Northside curriculum both in class and at home. Every student and parent with a device is responsible for taking care of the device to ensure that present and future students continue to benefit from technology in education (please read more in the NISD Technology Loan Agreement). By accepting this device, you are acknowledging that your student(s) will provide basic care for the device and would otherwise lack a device sufficient to engage in the Northside curriculum.
If your student has their own mobile device that is sufficient to engage in daily learning at home and in school, please notify the district via the NISD Device Lending Agreement link on nisd.net/parents page for data gathering purposes. Please note that if your student has an adequate device at home, that will not prevent your student from receiving a district issued device unless you decline/opt out of the Northside device on the nisd.net/parents page via the NISD Device Lending Agreement link.
If you choose to opt out of receiving a Northside device, it’s strongly encouraged that your child bring a household device to complete the Northside curriculum. Please refer to the district handbook to read policies regarding “Bring Your Own Device” (BYOD) and understand that troubleshooting on a BYOD device will be limited to connecting to district WiFi, student password assistance, and basic website navigation. BYOD devices will not be serviced by the district Helpdesk.
Lastly, if you opt out of a Northside device for your student(s) and wish to switch to a district issued device you will need to revisit the NISD Device Lending Agreement link on nisd.net/parents to change your selection at any time.
Thank you for partnering with us in your child’s education. We look forward to serving our students in the upcoming school year.
CAMPUS INFORMATION: Information about checking out hotspots will be coming soon!
Parent & Family Engagement Survey
Please take a few minutes to complete this survey. This information will assist your child’s school and Northside ISD’s Family Engagement Program in creating services to respond to your needs. Please complete this survey by September 24, 2021. Please reflect on the 2020-2021 school year for most of your responses. Some may require your input based on your existing family/personal needs. Thank you for your time and valuable input. We appreciate your support.
At Home Summer Reading BINGO
2021-2022 School Supply Lists
Spirit Shirts on Sale Beginning August 19th
STAY CONNECTED: Four Easy Ways to Stay Informed
Receive important messages and reminders from Allen ES by push message on your phone. Simply download the NISD Mobile App and select which schools you would like to receive notifications from. Follow us on Twitter @NISDAllenES, join our school on Class Dojo and ensure that your email address is up to date in the office.