We talked about the Northern Lights in the arctic. We looked at different pictures and talked about the colors we saw. We created bright Northern Lights using watercolors. We added stars using glitter.
We talked about different arctic animals including the polar bear, walrus, seal, caribous and huskies. We created different animal crafts and read lots of different stories and facts about these animals. We dictated and wrote sentences about each animal. We also talked about different animals having blubber to keep them warm. We did a blubber experiment, using Crisco as our "blubber" and dipping our hands into ice cold water. The blubber kept out hands warm in the cold water.
We talked about Eskimos living in the arctic. We talked about what kind of houses they live in and how they build their igloos (start at the bottom and work their way to the top). We created our own igloos using icing and marshmallows.
We had so much fun reading with the fifth graders!
Working on phonics during academic centers
Looking Ahead to February
- We will create different Valentine's Day crafts, have a Valentine's Day dance and a card exchange.
- We will celebrate the 100th day of school!
- We will continue talking about the letters of the alphabet (A-U) and their corresponding sounds.
- We will continue to work on three color patterns, measurement, addition/subtraction and numbers. We will begin talking about tens and ones and the numbers above 11-16. We will also start talking about greater than and equal to.
- We will continue practice writing sentences and working on our alphabet books.
February 11, 2016- Valentine's Day dance, dress in your holiday spirit
February 12 & 15- No School (President's Day)
Mondays- Read a book together!
Wednesdays- sight word practice
Thursdays- Read a book together!
Fridays- Enjoy your weekend :)
We are always working on writing our names, counting, identifying and writing the numbers 1-15. Keep practicing identifying the letters and their corresponding sounds.
Third quarter sight words
- orange, blue, red, green, brown, yellow, black, gray, pink
Number sight words:
Shape sight words:
- oval, circle, square, rectangle, star, heart, triangle
is, word, may, that, and, said, I, with, name, on, see, an, it, look, book, are, color, you, this, yes, no, help, said, jump, have, big, little are sight words in addition to the above words.
We have started focusing on four sight words a week, spelling, recognizing and saying the words during calendar.